The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

36 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Not talking about people sick or how sick this makes some people.  As I stated, they and I know it very serious, and it does kill some people.  It's nothing to take lightly.  However, discussing reported death rates is a completely different subject.  

So, my friends equal your friends.  Thing is, the statistics and science are in favor of my friends.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

Before people take this the wrong way, that is still almost 5-6 times more fatal than the flu, right?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Using the figures from this website, I took 45,000 flu deaths (Oct-Apr) and divided by 45,000,000 cases of the flu and got .001 case fatality rate.

Am I figuring this correctly?

Oh for sure, it’s more deadly. Depending on where you’re at, it seems like Covid will fall somewhere between 0.5% and 1%.  Like you said flu is about 0.1%. So 5-10x more deadly and it seems as though it spreads much easier. 

There are obviously conflicting reports and information out there all over.  We are all going to believe what we want to believe.  Some of us lean more towards conspiracy while others don't.  That's ok.  In reality we are all probably "right" to some degree.  I'm sure some deaths do go unreported and I'm sure some others are stretched.  None of that changes the situation we are in currently.  Hopefully some time soon we get more clarity and have a path to end this sooner rather than later.  

21 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

There are obviously conflicting reports and information out there all over.  We are all going to believe what we want to believe.  Some of us lean more towards conspiracy while others don't.  That's ok.  In reality we are all probably "right" to some degree.  I'm sure some deaths do go unreported and I'm sure some others are stretched.  None of that changes the situation we are in currently.  Hopefully some time soon we get more clarity and have a path to end this sooner rather than later.  

No.  Generally, that's not ok.  It's crazy.

I get what your saying though.  But I wouldn't equate a "skeptical" person with  a "conspiracy theorist".

• Plus1 3

Why does this not surprise me :blink::facepalm::bad:lame

Trump adviser suggests reopening economy by putting 'everybody in a space outfit'

https://theweek.com/speedreads/910577/trump-adviser-suggests-reopening-economy-by-putting-everybody-space-outfit

One of President Trump's economic advisers has an admittedly "crazy" idea for how to reopen the country amid the coronavirus pandemic: space outfits.

Stephen Moore, a member of Trump's economic task force, spoke to The New York Times this week about restarting the U.S. economy, saying he's been advising the president about how "we have to really get things opened" as soon as May 1st. But how are states to send people back to work in a safe way that doesn't endanger public health? Moore offered a bit of an ... out of the box ... suggestion.

"I was thinking this morning, and this is just kind of a thought experiment because I was thinking about this — why don't we just put everybody in a space outfit or something like that?" Moore asked. "No. Seriously."

The Times noted to Miller that "well, we'd have to make the space outfits," a fact he acknowledged while continuing to spitball.

"I mean, just thinking out loud, and maybe this is a crazy idea, but instead of just locking down the economy, putting everybody in a kind of — you're right," Moore said. "You have to make 200 million of these, but it wouldn't have cost $3 trillion to do that. ... I mean, I was looking online, and there are all these kinds of suits that they're building now that you're not exposed and you're breath — kind of ventilator."

The Times quickly moved on without nearly as many follow-up questions as expected, with Moore proceeding to claim the U.S. may not be able to "afford to wait" for more testing as experts have called for. Moore did, however, note multiple times in the interview that "I'm not a health expert" and at one point acknowledged while discussing one aspect of the pandemic, "Maybe I've got this wrong." Brendan Morrow

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

First batch of antibody tests are in for NY State. Estimated 14% of the state has been infected with the virus. Infected Fatality Rate would 0.6%ish depending on what numbers you use. Also over 1/5 of NYC estimated to have had the virus. 

yeahsciencebitch.PNG

I am hoping all of these antibody test studies are being done with "the good tests".

There are a lot of unapproved FDA tests out there.  And it sounds like the FDA hasn't been doing rigorous testing as normal to try to fast track some of these tests, which leads to a lot of questionable approved tests.

32 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

No, we are both not right.  One side uses science and facts and the other site uses right wing conspiracy talking points.

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I am hoping all of these antibody test studies are being done with "the good tests".

There are a lot of unapproved FDA tests out there.  And it sounds like the FDA hasn't been doing rigorous testing as normal to try to fast track some of these tests, which leads to a lot of questionable approved tests.

There are many floating around that are not FDA approved tests, there are only 4 FDA approved and the New York Study was using one of those.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

There are many floating around that are not FDA approved tests, there are only 4 FDA approved and the New York Study was using one of those.

Good to know.  I didn't know FDA had only approved 4 tests.  Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Actual facts show deaths are probably being undercounted.  In the time period of March 11 through April 18, NYC had 17k deaths above what the average should have been for that time period.  Only 13k were attributed to COVID.  So taking out the COVID deaths, there still are 4k more deaths than normal.  So it what are the cause of those deaths?

A not insignifcant amount of those would be due to stress, depression, and sedentary due to shelter in place orders/loss of work. 

• Thanks 1

I still continue to see people say, "what's the big deal, this is no worse than the flu".

FYI....The flu season from October through March killing 60,000 people would be an average of 330 people per day.  

If you look at March 10 when deaths started to increase, we are averaging 681 deaths per day.

For the last 2 weeks, we are averaging around 2,000 and that's with social distancing.

This is not just another flu.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

No, we are both not right.  One side uses science and facts and the other site uses right wing conspiracy talking points.

So it's not a fact when NY state comes out and says they are counting 3700 deaths in the total that were never tested?  That's as factual as you can get.  I always knew CNN had a loyal fan base... I just never met one of them.  Check that off the list.   

• Thanks 1