The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Another interesting study from Italy. Case Fatality Rate for Healthcare workers. 0% for those 18-29, 0.07% for those 30-39, 0.08% for those 40-49, 0.28% for those 50-59, 1.41% for those 60-69, 12.63% for those 70-79. 0.35% total Case Fatality Rate for Healthcare Workers in Italy. Total of 15,018 cases for Healthcare workers in Italy age 18-59 - 0.15% Case Fatality Rate. 

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Bollettino-sorveglianza-integrata-COVID-19_16-aprile-2020.pdf (It's in Italian)

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

I’m guessing a lot of folks similar those hypothetical machine gun toting, rabbit hunting crazies are in that sheriffs county.  They’re the type who are not going to be told what to do and think pretty much any law infringes on their freedom.   He’s just catering to his voters.  Sort of like the sheriff in Virginia who was going to refuse to enforce new state firearm laws. 

or those Sheriffs mentioned that refuse to honor a legal Federal detention order for undocumented folks...

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanhatesthis/im-not-an-epidemiologist-but-the-rise-of-the-corona

Head over to Twitter and search “not an epidemiologist but" if you want to see how prevalent and freewheeling the speculation about COVID-19 has become. As the pandemic has affected lives around the world, it seems like nearly everyone on social media wants to be a public health expert.

Pueyo said he started posting coronavirus updates on Facebook, and his followers responded to it — so he kept going. Someone asked him if there was an easy way to share everything he had been collecting. So he threw it all together on Medium.

“What I did was aggregate the opinions of experts,” he said. “Everything I have is from the raw data or analysis from other people.”

@Hilltop @MyBloodIsRed16

I don't want to clog up the football board with more political, so taking this discussion to the proper place.

Where are you reading that deaths are being overcounted?  And if you believe that COVID deaths are overcounted, than what is causing NYC deaths to be 300% more than what they should have been?

Actual facts show deaths are probably being undercounted.  In the time period of March 11 through April 18, NYC had 17k deaths above what the average should have been for that time period.  Only 13k were attributed to COVID.  So taking out the COVID deaths, there still are 4k more deaths than normal.  So it what are the cause of those deaths?

• Plus1 4

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

@Hilltop @MyBloodIsRed16

I don't want to clog up the football board with more political, so taking this discussion to the proper place.

Where are you reading that deaths are being overcounted?  And if you believe that deaths are overcounted, than what is causing NYC deaths to be 300% more than what they should have been?

Actual facts show deaths are probably being undercounted.  In the time period of March 11 through April 18, NYC had 17k deaths above what the average should have been for that time period.  Only 13k were attributed to COVID.  So taking out the COVID deaths, there still are 4k more deaths than normal.  So it what are the cause of those deaths?

I'd say there is no way they are over counting - I think NYC is doing a decent job on trying to get the number right - which is very hard. Covid is able to kill in a couple different ways - so it's very hard to calculate. Did the person die of cardiac arrest due to Covid, or would have that happened anyways? Also very tough to look at someone without a positive test and determine if it was or wasn't Covid - especially with deaths most often occurring in older populations with preexisting conditions.

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

@Hilltop @MyBloodIsRed16

Where are you reading that deaths are being overcounted?  And if you believe that deaths are overcounted, than what is causing NYC deaths to be 300% more than what they should have been?

I have a couple of close friends working in the healthcare field.  I won't quote them directly but will say they are confident that Covid-19 is being over reported.  To be clear, they think it's serious and should be respected.  They just feel the american public has been and continues to be fed a steady dose of worst case scenario.

https://amgreatness.com/2020/04/06/are-covid-19-deaths-being-overreported/

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/hospital-payments-and-the-covid-19-death-count/

Gotham’s Health Department abruptly added 3,700 victims to the COVID-19 death toll even though these decedents were not tested.https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/the-problem-with-new-york-citys-covid-19-death-rate-estimates/

There are a ton of articles out there if you look.  Hospitals getting paid extra for Covid-19 patients, lack of autopsies on deceased, some states trying to justify past actions, etc.  There is reason for skepticism if one looks for it.  

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

I have a couple of close friends working in the healthcare field.  I won't quote them directly but will say they are confident that Covid-19 is being over reported.  To be clear, they think it's serious and should be respected.  They just feel the american public has been and continues to be fed a steady dose of worst case scenario.

Interesting.  I personally know some...some are even family....that would tell your close friends they are full of s#!t.  One person I know works in a rural hospital where they are flying COVID patients out every day due to them being full and the patients are so sick. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting.  I personally know some...some are even family....that would tell your close friends they are full of s#!t.  One person I know works in a rural hospital where they are flying COVID patients out every day due to them being full and the patients are so sick. 

Not talking about people sick or how sick this makes some people.  As I stated, they and I know it very serious, and it does kill some people.  It's nothing to take lightly.  However, discussing reported death rates is a completely different subject.  

22 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

https://amgreatness.com/2020/04/06/are-covid-19-deaths-being-overreported/

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/hospital-payments-and-the-covid-19-death-count/

Gotham’s Health Department abruptly added 3,700 victims to the COVID-19 death toll even though these decedents were not tested.https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/the-problem-with-new-york-citys-covid-19-death-rate-estimates/

There are a ton of articles out there if you look.  Hospitals getting paid extra for Covid-19 patients, lack of autopsies on deceased, some states trying to justify past actions, etc.  There is reason for skepticism if one looks for it.  

First, from your factcheck link:

Numerous readers have asked us about such claims, some of which imply that hospitals are making money by simply listing patients as having the disease — when in fact the payments referenced are for treating patients. And while some of the posts imply that fraud may be afoot, multiple experts told us that such theories of hospitals deliberately miscoding patients as COVID-19 are not supported by any evidence. 

Second, yes, I believe there are tons of articles out there if I look.  But there are also tons of articles out there about COVID being caused by 5G cell towers.

So again, if you think that COIVD deaths are over-reported, then square up NYC having 17k more deaths over the last month than historically for that same time period with only 13k being attributed to COVID?

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

First batch of antibody tests are in for NY State. Estimated 14% of the state has been infected with the virus. Infected Fatality Rate would 0.6%ish depending on what numbers you use. Also over 1/5 of NYC estimated to have had the virus. 

yeahsciencebitch.PNG

Before people take this the wrong way, that is still almost 5-6 times more fatal than the flu, right?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Using the figures from this website, I took 45,000 flu deaths (Oct-Apr) and divided by 45,000,000 cases of the flu and got .001 case fatality rate.

Am I figuring this correctly?