The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I'm a republican.  I also think Trump is an idiot that says stupid things sometimes.  I have no intention of defending anything he says but I do think he was the correct person for the job at the time he was elected. 

You may be right.  It took electing him to realize that elections matter and electing someone who is a corrupt, narcissistic, incompetent, con man is a bad thing.  Hopefully we move forward from here with this lesson learned and never do it again.  It just took electing the mostest greatest one of all those the world has ever seen.

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I'm really not sure why I'm taking the time to chat about all of this smh.  I'm sorry you didn't see the message in the posted link.  Here are a few more examples.

https://www.businessinsider.com/experts-say-coronavirus-may-cause-spike-in-alcohol-abuse-2020-3

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-poses-risk-relapse-among-individuals-recovery-expert-says

https://drugfree.org/learn/drug-and-alcohol-news/addiction-experts-say-coronavirus-isolation-is-trigger-for-relapse/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/how-do-life/202003/tough-problems-substance-abuse-in-the-time-coronavirus

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vices-alcohol-marijuana-food-23f02d5e-b82b-4944-8609-b4479af1070e.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/coronavirus-alcohol-lockdown-health-research-alcoholism-a9468431.html

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/signs-drinking-too-much-alcohol-coronavirus-pandemic_l_5e94af29c5b648be9e39f58a

https://fortworthtexas.gov/news/2020/04/COVID-19-Alcohol-Drug-Addiction/

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article242199871.html

https://www.missourinet.com/2020/04/05/coronavirus-outbreak-expected-to-increase-drug-and-alcohol-addiction-in-missouri/

I never said you were unreasonable.  It is clear you are convinced so you are not likely to try to understand another's opinion.  

I'll be done with this thread after this post.  No harm intended, I just feel differently than you.  I do take the virus very seriously and have had first hand exposure to it.  It's not something I would wish on anyone.  I know a lot of people are sick and some will not make it.  My stance is that I believe some are capitalizing on a very bad situation and they should be called out- regardless of their political affiliation.    

It's been widely reported, and I've not disputed it, that addictions are a serious problem during this time.  People are home alone and not getting the support they need.  This is a problem along with depression and a rise in domestic abuse.

However, your post claimed that homeless people are drinking $50 bottles of scotch because they received a payment from the government.

Can you tell me how that's possible?  And....I looked through the first two links and didn't see it.  In these links do they mention how homeless people are taking the assistance checks and buying $50 bottles of scotch?

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's been widely reported, and I've not disputed it, that addictions are a serious problem during this time.  People are home alone and not getting the support they need.  This is a problem along with depression and a rise in domestic abuse.

However, your post claimed that homeless people are drinking $50 bottles of scotch because they received a payment from the government.

Can you tell me how that's possible?  And....I looked through the first two links and didn't see it.  In these links do they mention how homeless people are taking the assistance checks and buying $50 bottles of scotch?

You're beating a dead horse. He said it was anecdotal from another board. It's simply the same rumors as Obama phones, death panels and all the rest.

The reality is the checks were necessary (maybe didn't even go far enough for the working class). There will always be abuse of any system, but that should never be a reason not to pursue something. You do the best you can to limit abuse and move forward.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Just a suggestion but you should read the actual articles you are posting, not the headlines. They basically go in-dept about how hard it would be for a homeless person or somebody who doesn't have a bank account to actually receive a stimulus check. It's a not easy...

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

LINK

And....how many of those homeless people provided the IRS with direct deposit information last year when they filed their income taxes?  I'm guessing it's a pretty slim number.

If you haven't gotten your stimulus check yet, then you're probably wondering when it's going to show up. The IRS tweeted this week that those who filed taxes in 2019 or 2018 and supplied direct deposit info should see their money "in the next three weeks."

So....that leaves the chance they maybe got them in the mail.  

According to a memo from the House Ways and Means Committee, the IRS will begin issuing paper checks the week of April 20. Americans with the lowest income will get mailed checks first. Around 5 million paper checks will be issued each week, so the memo notes it could take up to 20 weeks for everyone to get their paper checks.

I'm not quite sure there's enough homeless people who have received their checks in the mail to cause an epidemic of $50 bottles of scotch flying off the shelves.

21 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You're beating a dead horse. He said it was anecdotal from another board. It's simply the same rumors as Obama phones, death panels and all the rest.

The reality is the checks were necessary (maybe didn't even go far enough for the working class). There will always be abuse of any system, but that should never be a reason not to pursue something. You do the best you can to limit abuse and move forward.

I know.

Guinea pigs:

Weld County reveals 'Safer-at-Work' plan with guidelines for all businesses to reopen, commissioner says

DENVER — As Denver said its stay-at-home order will be extended into May, Weld County on Thursday unveiled a reopening plan more expansive than the state’s gradual plan.

The Weld County Board of Commissioners and the Weld County Department of Public Health and Environment dubbed their strategy the “Safer-at-Work” plan, in clear contrast to the “Safer-at-Home” plan Colorado Gov. Jared Polis announced earlier this week.

The chair of Weld County's board of commissioners, Mike Freeman, told 1310 KFKA Radio that the county will not direct businesses to open, but it will provide guidelines for all of them to do so if they choose.

“This will be for businesses, in general, to open across the board,” he said. “I think the governor's been pretty clear all along that his orders are unenforceable.”

Freeman also said, however, that this does not mean “business as usual.” The county’s guidelines include limiting groups to 10 people, keeping six feet between individuals, and a recommendation for physical barriers.

“I think [Polis] made it very clear that he expected local health departments and local counties to figure this out, and they would be the ones enforcing it," Freeman said. "The main reason we're doing this is I think we just believe it's completely unfair to pick winners and losers."

He added standards may vary by municipality within the county, where 1,263 people have tested positive for COVID-19 and 70 people have died because of the disease. Weld County is home to the JBS meatpacking plant in Greeley, the site of a coronavirus outbreak. The plant is set to reopen Friday after a closure.

Weld County has the 2nd highest number of cases in the state

@Hilltop From that first article... (BTW HUD estimates over 550,000 homeless in the US) 

“Let’s just look at a low-income or no-income individual who did not file taxes and did not receive social security,” said Leitmann-Santa Cruz, the Capital Area Asset Builders director. “It is prudent to assume that person is not likely to get any money. And that is primarily because imagine the amount of research that would have to be done to identify that person.”

Those who are homeless, undocumented, or underemployed are virtually non-existent, according to Leitmann-Santa Cruz.

An inspector general’s evaluation of the 2008 stimulus payments found that of the roughly 20 million non-filers the IRS identified by working with the Social Security Administration and Veterans Affairs, 3.4 million who were eligible did not receive the stimulus.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Just totally unbelievable.  This buffoon is the leader of the free world - normal title given to the POTUS. But these aren't normal times - he is an embarrassment to our nation.  Why Amendment 25 hasn't been and isn't currently being pushed by those insiders is literally a crime in my view. Trump is a danger to this country, an existential threat to us, and by their connection, the insiders are also a threat due to their inaction.  The current GOP group needs to be soundly defeated this fall to remove this stain from our nation. 

Below article states that trump gets rebuked but he still has to try to save face and comes out looking even worse

if that is at all possible.   With him having to come across as the smartest guy in the room, he always ends up as the dumbest. He has such a low self esteem that he can't figure out that he is out of his league and needs to keep his mouth shut and let the experts do the talking. He is a micro-controller.  He has a need to control everything and every conversation. If he were just a layperson at some ordinary job we might have pity on him but he by his own will and deceit

placed himself in the position to get elected and to sit in an office he is clearly not qualified for and is extremely out of his league.  :rant

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-suggests-injecting-disinfectant-shining-uv-light-inside-patients-to-kill-coronavirus-in-bizarre-rambling-tangent/

Isn't this pretty much describing how meth is made?  Ha

28 minutes ago, GSG said:

Guinea pigs:

Weld County reveals 'Safer-at-Work' plan with guidelines for all businesses to reopen, commissioner says

Weld County has the 2nd highest number of cases in the state

I know financial circumstances are pretty dire for them but must be pretty scary to be one of the folks going back to work at that plant today.

6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I know financial circumstances are pretty dire for them but must be pretty scary to be one of the folks going back to work at that plant today.

I'm just glad he's not trying to open the schools or anything. My fiancee teaches in Weld County 

Poll 1/3 believe a vaccine exists but being withheld  :ahhhhhhhh  (Bet they are alt right, high anxiety, low IQ Trump voters)

https://theweek.com/speedreads/910699/alarming-number-americans-believe-coronavirus-vaccine-exists-being-withheld

Maybe there is a correlation to this poll. Most don't trust the information Trump gives us on the crisis - perhaps those who do are the 1/3 above:dunno

https://apnews.com/87f1545cea4b5e8c96e6e902a8d9e9bd

President Donald Trump has made himself the daily spokesman for the nation’s coronavirus response. Yet few Americans regularly look to or trust Trump as a source of information on the pandemic, according to a new survey from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

Just 28% of Americans say they’re regularly getting information from Trump about the coronavirus and only 23% say they have high levels of trust in what the president is telling the public. Another 21% trust him a moderate amount.

Confidence in Trump is higher among his supporters, though only about half of Republicans say they have a lot of trust in Trump’s information on the pandemic — and 22% say they have little or no trust in what he says about the COVID-19 outbreak.

But even as many Republicans question Trump’s credibility during the pandemic, the overwhelming majority — 82% — say they still approve of how he’s doing. That’s helped keep the president’s overall approval rating steady at 42%, about where it’s been for the past few months.

Lynn Sanchez of Jacksonville, Texas, is among those who backs Trump despite reservations about his credibility. Sanchez, who identifies as a political independent, said she trusts “only a little” of what the president says about the crisis, but believes he’s “doing the best he can.”

“He’s contradicted his own health experts a couple of times. I believe he gets carried away and doesn’t sit down and think things through,” said Sanchez, a 66-year-old retired truck stop manager.

The survey’s findings underscore Trump’s rock-solid backing from Republicans, who have been unwavering in their overall support throughout his presidency, despite reservations about his credibility and temperament. If that support holds through the November election, Trump would still have a narrow — but feasible — path to victory.

1214.jpeg

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

1 hour ago, GSG said:

I'm just glad he's not trying to open the schools or anything. My fiancee teaches in Weld County 

I've lived in Weld county since 1986. I've never really known much of anything about the county commissioners. They're usually out of sight, out of mind. The people elected to those positions always seem to be country cowboy types.

This is a little premature imo given the problems Weld County is having with the virus. I feel pretty safe saying that over 90% of our (Greeley/Weld Co) infections can be traced directly to the JBS plant. I know a little bit about these large packers and I have absolutely no idea how they can operate and make it even remotely safe for their employees. You literally could cut their workforce 75% and you would still have trouble keeping people from infecting one another. I know it's a huge cog in the local economy but I cannot believe they are letting them reopen today.

My neighbor's wife is in the hospital with the Covid, which she caught from her husband who I'm sure got it at the plant. Someone (very reliable but I won't say who) told me that they had all their supervisors tested about a week ago and that 80% were positive.

• Thanks 1