The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I've lived in Weld county since 1986. I've never really known much of anything about the county commissioners. They're usually out of sight, out of mind. The people elected to those positions always seem to be country cowboy types.

This is a little premature imo given the problems Weld County is having with the virus. I feel pretty safe saying that over 90% of our (Greeley/Weld Co) infections can be traced directly to the JBS plant. I know a little bit about these large packers and I have absolutely no idea how they can operate and make it even remotely safe for their employees. You literally could cut their workforce 75% and you would still have trouble keeping people from infecting one another. I know it's a huge cog in the local economy but I cannot believe they are letting them reopen today.

My neighbor's wife is in the hospital with the Covid, which she caught from her husband who I'm sure got it at the plant. Someone (very reliable but I won't say who) told me that they had all their supervisors tested about a week ago and that 80% were positive.

Holy cow that's awful.

It's becoming very clear from multiple states with outbreaks that these plants are a huge hotspot for infection. I think you're right - they're extremely problematic and I don't know how we keep them safe other than keeping them closed.

Trump back peddles says he was 'only kidding' - being sarcastic.   The humor and sarcasm escapes me after seeing the replay of the video on this link.   How do you defend stupid. :dunno

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-he-was-being-sarcastic-about-injecting-coronavirus-patients-with-disinfectant-174740147.html

Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office after signing a $484 billion coronavirus relief package into law, President Trump was asked about the idea of injecting coronavirus patients with a disinfectant, something he floated during Thursday’s coronavirus task force briefing.

The president claimed he was being sarcastic.

“I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen,” Trump said.

But Trump’s remarks Thursday were directed at William Bryan, a scientist at the Department of Homeland Security who had just presented research indicating that the virus can be killed on surfaces and in aerosols by heat, humidity, sunlight and disinfectants. And they did not appear to be sarcastic.

“Supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light. And I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but we’re going to test it,” Trump said. “And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, either through the skin or some other way.”

The president went on to speculate about the possibility of using disinfectants as a treatment.

“And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside, or almost a cleaning? Because, you see, it gets in the lungs and does a tremendous number on the lungs,” Trump continued. “It would be interesting to check that. That you’re gonna have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me, so we’ll see.”

Trump asked Dr. Deborah Birx, a leader on the White House coronavirus task force, for her opinion on the possible use of ultraviolet light for COVID-19.

“Not as a treatment,” she replied.

There is no approved therapy for COVID-19, and once the virus is inside the cells of the body, it would not be susceptible to being killed by the same things that can destroy it in the environment.

Medical experts took to the airwaves and to Twitter, even as Trump was wrapping up his remarks, to warn that ingesting disinfectants could be fatal.

Earlier Friday, the White House press secretary, Kayleigh McEnany, issued a statement: “President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasized again during yesterday’s briefing. Leave it to the media to irresponsibly take President Trump out of context and run with negative headlines.”

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I've lived in Weld county since 1986. I've never really known much of anything about the county commissioners. They're usually out of sight, out of mind. The people elected to those positions always seem to be country cowboy types.

This is a little premature imo given the problems Weld County is having with the virus. I feel pretty safe saying that over 90% of our (Greeley/Weld Co) infections can be traced directly to the JBS plant. I know a little bit about these large packers and I have absolutely no idea how they can operate and make it even remotely safe for their employees. You literally could cut their workforce 75% and you would still have trouble keeping people from infecting one another. I know it's a huge cog in the local economy but I cannot believe they are letting them reopen today.

My neighbor's wife is in the hospital with the Covid, which she caught from her husband who I'm sure got it at the plant. Someone (very reliable but I won't say who) told me that they had all their supervisors tested about a week ago and that 80% were positive.

NEW: @GovofCO Polis starts a briefing for journalists by urging people not to misinterpret coming increase in COVID-19 deaths as a spike when it’s a reclassification or non-COVID deaths. Will thread new details from briefing here. #9News #COVID19colorado 

Polis says the “Safer at Home” phase will last through May and June will have “similarities.” 

Polis says 33k face masks from the Colorado Mask Project were delivered to people serving the homeless community. 

Polis asks Coloradans getting outside to stay within 10 miles of home. WATCH OUT, COMMERCE CITY! ILL SEE YOU SATURDAY! 

Before the outrage muppets pounce, I’m not going to Commerce City this weekend. I’m staying at home and in my neighborhood. 

Polis says he talked with VP Pence again. Says state will need to augment federal PPE shipments. Wasn’t critical of federal effort, just said the need is greater. 

This is a new format for briefings where it’s just Polis and a web camera. Questions from journalists are coming in via audio, like his press conferences at the mansion. Some hiccups as the Gov waits on Qs without in person reporters to call on. But going pretty smoothly. 

GJ Sentinel’s Charles Ashby says state wont be storming businesses who don’t comply with state’s orders, so how will they be enforced? Polis says local buy-in is key (Mayors, Police Depts, Health Depts) because they will be the enforcers. 

NEW: @GovofCO Polis warns that he will take action against Weld County, which is allowing all businesses to open in defiance of state orders. “They do not have any kind of unilateral ability to jeopardize the health of residents,” Polis said. #9News #covid19colorado 

Polis says Weld County’s plan to allow restaurants to reopen would be a danger. Says counties can’t ignore state guidelines to inspect restauranra, so they can’t allow them to reopen now. 

mentions asks if there’s state guidance for employees who fear returning to work without COVID-19 precautions. Polis says telecommuting must be prioritized for at-risk people. Polis says Coloradans must balance if they can go without income. Imagine that’s a small cohort. 

NEW: @GovofCO Polis, in his strongest language yet, says Weld County “cannot” proceed with its plan to allow restaurants to open Monday. #9News #covid19colorado 

NEW: @GovofCO Polis says Colorado “absolutely will use every mechanism we have” to prevent Weld County from ignoring public health orders, including withholding funding and stripping business licenses of businesses that open in violation of state orders. #9News #COVID19Colorado 

Gov Polis praises municipalities with public mask wearing requirements. But Polis is hesitant about a statewide mask order. Perhaps because it’s clear that if he were to mandate breathing, some Coloradans would choose to asphyxiate in protest of tyranny. #9News #COVID19colorado 

That concludes the briefing and this thread. But outrage is welcome to continue in the replies. Be well. 

• Thanks 1