The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

24 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Aside from the Zero-Covid regions, it has been some version of the same story everywhere.  Cases drop, restrictions end, new wave/variant, cases rise, restrictions start....

I don't see anything exceptional about what Denmark has done either way.

Dude, I agree...but some reason there is a nutjob faction that thinks Denmark is utopia. 

I am hoping/thinking that come the end of the school year, restrictions in the US will be over.

If this study is true…I am little pissed off…although to be consistent the reason was to about overrunning the hospitals and not deaths although the two are connected. Of course the hospital goal posts moved in some states.

https://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/files/2022/01/A-Literature-Review-and-Meta-Analysis-of-the-Effects-of-Lockdowns-on-COVID-19-Mortality.pdf

“We find little to no evidence that mandated lockdowns in Europe and the United States had a noticeable effect on COVID-19 mortality rates," the researchers wrote.”

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Was just reading a Wall Street Journal article saying how it is unprecedented that about 40% of the world’s population has become infected in an 8 week period from a single pathogen, omicron.  I think their 40% estimate is likely way low. I literally do not know a single person that has not been sick in the last 2 months. Sure a few of those may have been something else but all the ones I know of have been omicron. The reason I think 40% is low? Roughly half of these people were never tested and their illness wasn’t recorded or reported. Myself, my wife, both our kids, all of my employees….the list goes on, all had omicron symptoms and only two that I know of, my daughter and her boyfriend, had their illness confirmed as Covid/omicron. So, how many more than 40% have actually had omicron in the last 8 weeks? I’d say it’s more like 80%+

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Was just reading a Wall Street Journal article saying how it is unprecedented that about 40% of the world’s population has become infected in an 8 week period from a single pathogen, omicron.  I think their 40% estimate is likely way low. I literally do not know a single person that has not been sick in the last 2 months. Sure a few of those may have been something else but all the ones I know of have been omicron. The reason I think 40% is low? Roughly half of these people were never tested and their illness wasn’t recorded or reported. Myself, my wife, both our kids, all of my employees….the list goes on, all had omicron symptoms and only two that I know of, my daughter and her boyfriend, had their illness confirmed as Covid/omicron. So, how many more than 40% have actually had omicron in the last 8 weeks? I’d say it’s more like 80%+

JJ, I have a serious question not necessarily for you but using your example and it’s for others who have mocked a certain person for words that were said about testing.

You mentioned that most around you had Omicron symptoms and only two were actually tested.   And it sounds like thankfully all recovered (at least hopefully they did).  

That said, I have acted the same as you and most of those close to you in that I have had cold like symptoms, didn’t get tested, wore mask when out in public just to be safe for others and eventually was symptom free.  

This is the scenario Ron DeSantis got mocked for when he questioned why everyone who exhibits mild symptoms needs to even get tested at this point since it’s so wide spread.   Many on this board even posted about him.  I’m curious what made you decide to not get tested (no attack, I acted the same as you)? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Their estimate is already taking the unreported or asymptomatic cases into account. I feel like 40% is probably in the ballpark. Still a huge number given the time frame. 

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

JJ, I have a serious question not necessarily for you but using your example and it’s for others who have mocked a certain person for words that were said about testing.

You mentioned that most around you had Omicron symptoms and only two were actually tested.   And it sounds like thankfully all recovered (at least hopefully they did).  

That said, I have acted the same as you and most of those close to you in that I have had cold like symptoms, didn’t get tested, wore mask when out in public just to be safe for others and eventually was symptom free.  

This is the scenario Ron DeSantis got mocked for when he questioned why everyone who exhibits mild symptoms needs to even get tested at this point since it’s so wide spread.   Many on this board even posted about him.  I’m curious what made you decide to not get tested (no attack, I acted the same as you)? 

I didn’t get tested for a few reasons.

1- I wasn’t very sick. I previously had Covid (delta I believe) before I had received any vaccines and was very sick for multiple weeks. This time was much milder and, in between, I had received 3 full dose vaccines.

2- It didn’t matter to me if it was or wasn’t covid/omicron. I wasn’t going to act any differently based on that information. I wasn’t sick enough to miss work or change anything.

3- I’m over and done with the whole pandemic bs. People that I am going to run into have had ample opportunity to protect themselves by getting vaccinated or by avoiding me. It’s no longer my job to help protect others, imo. I am going about life as normally as possible. I wear my mask where I have to, wash my hands multiple times per day and use an electrostatic sprayer at my business on all high touch surfaces. That’s it, that’s the extent of what I’m willing to do

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Their estimate is already taking the unreported or asymptomatic cases into account. I feel like 40% is probably in the ballpark. Still a huge number given the time frame. 

That may be right? All I know is I cannot come up with a single person I know that has not been sick in the last 2 months. Literally every single person in my immediate and extended family, and same for my wife’s family. Everyone I work with, all my customers, virtually everyone in the next door business, my neighbors. I am not exaggerating, almost anyone I can think of.

And no, I’m not the common denominator. I have had no direct contact with the majority of these people.

On 2/3/2022 at 4:36 PM, nic said:

If this study is true…I am little pissed off…although to be consistent the reason was to about overrunning the hospitals and not deaths although the two are connected. Of course the hospital goal posts moved in some states.

https://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/files/2022/01/A-Literature-Review-and-Meta-Analysis-of-the-Effects-of-Lockdowns-on-COVID-19-Mortality.pdf

“We find little to no evidence that mandated lockdowns in Europe and the United States had a noticeable effect on COVID-19 mortality rates," the researchers wrote.”

Apparently it's a very weak analysis by a couple of economists who set out to prove their stance on lockdowns was right.  Long thread worth reading.  

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Apparently it's a very weak analysis by a couple of economists who set out to prove their stance on lockdowns was right.  Long thread worth reading.  

I’m really not sure how one can claim lockdowns have been ineffective. They may not be worth it in some respects, but New Zealand and Australia are pretty compelling evidence. 

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I’m really not sure how one can claim lockdowns have been ineffective. They may not be worth it in some respects, but New Zealand and Australia are pretty compelling evidence. 

I mean you can make the case they weren't effective in the States.

But that really just means we aren't effective as people :lol:

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I didn’t get tested for a few reasons.

1- I wasn’t very sick. I previously had Covid (delta I believe) before I had received any vaccines and was very sick for multiple weeks. This time was much milder and, in between, I had received 3 full dose vaccines.

2- It didn’t matter to me if it was or wasn’t covid/omicron. I wasn’t going to act any differently based on that information. I wasn’t sick enough to miss work or change anything.

3- I’m over and done with the whole pandemic bs. People that I am going to run into have had ample opportunity to protect themselves by getting vaccinated or by avoiding me. It’s no longer my job to help protect others, imo. I am going about life as normally as possible. I wear my mask where I have to, wash my hands multiple times per day and use an electrostatic sprayer at my business on all high touch surfaces. That’s it, that’s the extent of what I’m willing to do

Thank you for the answer 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Studies come and go and some have big holes. It’s why I said “if”. Need to let this simmer. If history on this is allowed to be viewed objectively, we will know whether it was wort it someday. I didn’t study this study. I do believe unnecessary harm was done (especially to kids), but you have to give grace in the beginning because we didn’t know what we were dealing with. Once we did, we did not adjust properly in my opinion, and it all became politics and nonsensical reasoning based on politics. 

we continued to hang out with neighbors in early 2020. We traveled to the Florida Keys with friends in June 2020. We let our kids be with their friends the entire time. I feel like we made the right calls and are kids are better off for it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1