The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

B cells have shorter time spans and don’t last 17 years in SARS like you still suggested.  It’s not just a typo.  

T and b cells are extremely durable and have shown to be effective on the original SARs up to 17 years later.  

If you're going take that sentence and interpret it that way you have way too much time on your hands.  

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

It is sort of amazing how Covid has "gone away" the last two days.

1. Omicron surge has been on the downward slope for a couple weeks. So not surprising.

2. News media is focusing on an even more sensational story.

3. Omicron 2.0 has been identified as a strain to watch or whatever their terminology is. 

• Plus1 2

If you are still watching and trying to figure it all out - simplistic way to make a decision on risk where you are and make the decisions best for you and your family.  CDC website has incorporated a Red/Yellow/Green rating by state and county (blue Check Your County box).  Calculations include diagnosis per 100k (we should all be searching for 10 or less) as well as other tangibles like community vax rates etc.

https://www.cdc.gov

I travelled recently and based on where I was coming from and going to as well as where the people around me were travelling from I decided mask inside at the wedding reception where there were no windows in the ballroom.  I was one of 8 guests masked, out of maybe 200 (many of whom traveled from NC where the new variant is moving around) -  feel like I'm going to really appreciate that when everyone starts testing this week.  

• Thanks 1

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00584-8

Taking all of the new data together, and adding a degree of speculation, Andersen suggests that raccoon dogs could have been infected on a farm that then sold the animals at the markets in Wuhan in November or December 2019, and that the virus might have jumped to people handling them, or to buyers. At least twice, those infections could have spread from an index case to other people, he says.

‘As good as it gets’

Over the past year, Michael Worobey, a virologist at the University of Arizona, in Tucson, and an author on the papers with Andersen2,3, says that his thinking on the origins of COVID-19 has shifted. Back in May 2021, he led a letter published in Science6 in which he and other researchers pressed the scientific community to keep an open mind about whether the pandemic stemmed from a laboratory, a controversial hypothesis suggesting that SARS-CoV-2 was either created in a lab, or was accidentally or intentionally released by researchers at the Wuhan Institute of Virology. “You want to take this kind of thing seriously,” he explains.

But since May, additional evidence has come to light that supports a zoonotic origin story similar to that of HIV, Zika virus, Ebola virus and multiple influenza viruses, he says. “When you look at all of the evidence, it is clear that this started at the market,” he says. Separate lines of analysis point to it, he says, and it’s extremely improbable that two distinct lineages of SARS-CoV-2 could have been derived from a laboratory and then coincidentally ended up at the market

Three new studies, albeit preprint,  trace the origins of Covid-19 to spill over from animals with two tracing the outbreak to the Wuhan market and not the Wuhan Institute of Virology. 

If these studies pass peer review I wonder if Rand Paul, Tom Cotton, et al will publicly apologize to Fauci or will they slither away quietly or keep up the drum beat that Fauci lied and needs to have his head in a pike (per Steve Bannon.)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/dr-faucis-take-on-steve-bannons-call-for-his-head-on-a-pike-well-its-unusual-11605126551

I'll bet on the latter since "pffffft science".

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

They wouldn’t need to

Some virologists say that the new evidence pointing to the Huanan market doesn’t rule out an alternative hypothesis. Namely, they say that the market could have just been the location of a massive amplifying event, in which an infected person spread the virus to many other people, rather than the place of the original spillover.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Why would that be nearly impossible?

Are you saying it's not nearly impossible that two distinct lineages of a virus were developed in a lab, escaped from that lab and ended up in the same exact spot in the market?  Down to the same cage?  

I guess that would require a lab animal to have been infected at the lab and put in that cage or a human was infected at the lab and then reinfected whatever animal was in that cage....with two different lineages of virus.   Or they caught a cab together and were shopping for raccoon dog.  

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Are you saying it's not nearly impossible that two distinct lineages of a virus were developed in a lab, escaped from that lab and ended up in the same exact spot in the market?  Down to the same cage?  

I guess that would require a lab animal to have been infected at the lab and put in that cage or a human was infected at the lab and then reinfected whatever animal was in that cage....with two different lineages of virus.   Or they caught a cab together and were shopping for raccoon dog.  

Where in the paper does it say lineage A and B came from the same stall?