The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don't know much about the medical bills part, like if that's different than family paying off other stuff. But a word of advice I have is to not do joint credit cards for big expenses. If both names aren't on it the spouse won't have to pay any of it back. If I make it to like 85 or 90 I'm gonna start doing hard drugs and also max out all of my credit cards. 

Well the tweet said they had to set up a gofundme for medical expenses so I assume someone is going to be paying. The hospital is not going to write off hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills. And she was there for almost two months, so who knows how long she was there without insurance and even with insurance they pay the least amount possible. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I'll expand on what you think is the best. We have great doctors, great medical professionals, great scientists. No doubt about it. 

But the system needs to get better for everyone. Hopefully you agree. 

I would always want the system to improve!  

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don't know much about the medical bills part, like if that's different than family paying off other stuff. But a word of advice I have is to not do joint credit cards for big expenses. If both names aren't on it the spouse won't have to pay any of it back. If I make it to like 85 or 90 I'm gonna start doing hard drugs and also max out all of my credit cards. 

The bold is incorrect. Bankruptcy courts determine how much has to be paid to whom in the end and they aren't taken in by obvious ploys like this.

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The bold is incorrect. Bankruptcy courts determine how much has to be paid to whom in the end and they aren't taken in by obvious ploys like this.

You don't have to pay off credit card debt for your deceased spouse if your name was not on the card (except with a few exceptions). I'm not sure why you're calling this a ploy... this is just what is. Even authorized users don't have to pay off the Credit card debt for a deceased cardholder.

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You don't have to pay off credit card debt for your deceased spouse if your name was not on the card (except with a few exceptions). I'm not sure why you're calling this a ploy... this is just what is. Even authorized users don't have to pay off the Credit card debt for a deceased cardholder.

Holy crap, you're correct! This is one of the dumber loopholes I've seen: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-cfpb/am-i-responsible-to-pay-off-the-debts-of-my-deceased-spouse-en-1467/#:~:text=In most cases you will,off your deceased spouse's debts.&text=If there is a joint,responsible for the amount owed.

20 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Pretty s#!tty move and this guy is a pig.

I don't know much about him but I trust he's a pig if you say so. Feel free to elaborate.

That said, you shouldn't fall for the stuff archy posts. Illinois gave/is giving $900 million in Covid relief. What they're talking about in the article is $20 million, and it isn't Covid relief. It's tax relief they planned back in 2019 to go into effect in 2021 that they are now canceling. It's good to get the full story instead of the one the Republicans complaining about it are trying to feed people.

• Plus1 4
7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don't know much about him but I trust he's a pig if you say so. Feel free to elaborate.

That said, you shouldn't fall for the stuff archy posts. Illinois gave/is giving $900 million in Covid relief. What they're talking about in the article is $20 million, and it isn't Covid relief. It's tax relief they planned back in 2019 to go into effect in 2021 that they are now canceling. It's good to get the full story instead of the one the Republicans complaining about it are trying to feed people.

I posted a straight local news story with zero comment from myself. 

• Plus1 1