The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The referenced Newsweek article has more context:

Though this study's approach did not determine any significant benefits to implementing mandatory lockdowns, others have shown that lockdowns have saved millions of lives.

A study published by researchers at Imperial College London in June found that some 3.1 million deaths had been averted due to lockdowns across Europe early on in the pandemic, Reuters reported. Additional research found that 530 million coronavirus infections had been avoided due to early lockdowns in China, South Korea, Italy, Iran, France and the United States, according to the news outlet.

• Plus1 1

Been saying this for quite awhile now on this forum.  

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/early/2021/01/06/peds.2020-048090.full.pdf

We examined 11 school districts with nearly 100,000 students/staff open for 9 weeks of in- person instruction, tracking secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2; within-school infections were extremely rare. Each case was independently adjudicated for community or within-school acquisition by local health departments. … No instances of child-to-adult transmission of SARS-CoV-2 were reported within schools.

chools can stay open safely in communities with widespread community transmission.

And this....

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/education/when-covid-19-closed-schools-black-hispanic-poor-kids-took-n1249352

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/early/2021/01/06/peds.2020-048090.full.pdf

We examined 11 school districts with nearly 100,000 students/staff open for 9 weeks of in- person instruction, tracking secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2; within-school infections were extremely rare. Each case was independently adjudicated for community or within-school acquisition by local health departments. … No instances of child-to-adult transmission of SARS-CoV-2 were reported within schools.

chools can stay open safely in communities with widespread community transmission.

And this....

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/education/when-covid-19-closed-schools-black-hispanic-poor-kids-took-n1249352

Wonder if all 11 districts had mask mandates along with disinfecting protocols.

In-person learning, for a multitude of reasons, is preferable to Zoom.

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And this....

my wife and i got covid from my niece and/or nephew.   they got it at school.   :dunno

9 minutes ago, commando said:

my wife and i got covid from my niece and/or nephew.   they got it at school.   :dunno

I have an employee who ended up in intensive care with it.  He's very high risk and literally just stays home.  His wife doesn't go anywhere other than to grocery shop...etc because she didn't want to get it and bring it home. The only way they can figure he got it is from one of the kids from school. Their daughter who is still in HS tested positive also.

I also know an athletic trainer at one of the largest HSs in Kansas.  He said the school has done everything they can to keep positive cases hush hush so their athletics wouldn't miss games.

So...yeah....I'm not really buying that schools are quite as safe as they are trying to say.

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have an employee who ended up in intensive care with it.  He's very high risk and literally just stays home.  His wife doesn't go anywhere other than to grocery shop...etc because she didn't want to get it and bring it home. The only way they can figure he got it is from one of the kids from school. Their daughter who is still in HS tested positive also.

I also know an athletic trainer at one of the largest HSs in Kansas.  He said the school has done everything they can to keep positive cases hush hush so their athletics wouldn't miss games.

So...yeah....I'm not really buying that schools are quite as safe as they are trying to say.

The science and data is saying otherwise.  

I know KS HS’s are having Covid cases.  I have a senior in large KS HS who plays sports.  I also know the biggest issues those teams are having is kids catching Covid outside of school settings.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The science and data is saying otherwise.  

I know KS HS’s are having Covid cases.  I have a senior in large KS HS who plays sports.  I also know the biggest issues those teams are having is kids catching Covid outside of school settings.  

How do you know unless the schools are being honest?

To be clear, I think the truth is somewhere in between.  I think it's worse than some people want you to believe, but it's not this mega super spreader situation that everyone feared when schools went back to in class learning.  They would be if the schools hadn't put in rules on masks wearing, sanitation..etc.

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

How do you know unless the schools are being honest?

To be clear, I think the truth is somewhere in between.  I think it's worse than some people want you to believe, but it's not this mega super spreader situation that everyone feared when schools went back to in class learning.  They would be if the schools hadn't put in rules on masks wearing, sanitation..etc.

Studies like these traced each case.  Through the patient not the school I believe 

• Plus1 1