The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

I loved the emails at 9pm that “ 8 of your students will be absent for the week.  Please be sure to get them the materials they need!”…

Totally amazing!

Oh and of course after school and on the weekends the kids wore masks 100% of the time and socially distanced and washed their hands!

I mean, no chance any of them were making out.  No chance at all.

We would have 12 students out for testing positive and another 18 out because of contact tracing.  

At this point, masks are a waste. Schools should require vaccines not masks. If they want to go online fine although I think the lack of in person interaction is probably more detrimental than the risks of Covid. I can’t imagine kids mask properly anyway. Might as well do away with the charade. And don’t get me started on economy killing shutdowns. Those absolutely can never be a thing again.

We have to learn to live and function normally with this thing because apparently it isn’t going away.  Get all the recommended vaccines and boosters, live your life and, if it gets you, well, it gets you.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

At this point, masks are a waste. Schools should require vaccines not masks. If they want to go online fine although I think the lack of in person interaction is probably more detrimental than the risks of Covid. I can’t imagine kids mask properly anyway. Might as well do away with the charade. And don’t get me started on economy killing shutdowns. Those absolutely can never be a thing again.

We have to learn to live and function normally with this thing because apparently it isn’t going away.  Get all the recommended vaccines and boosters, live your life and, if it gets you, well, it gets you.

And that is what it has become, a charade. 

If I had my way it would be no masks and if you want your kid to learn from home, fine, they can zoom in.  And if you are a teacher and want to teach from home, fine, have a para or another teacher who has a free period cover your class in person while you teach from home.  I mean, if it is okay for a student to learn from home, a teacher should be able to teach from home.  

I would hate to teach from home again, I know a few teachers that would love it but it has nothing to do with worrying about covid.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

And that is what it has become, a charade. 

If I had my way it would be no masks and if you want your kid to learn from home, fine, they can zoom in.  And if you are a teacher and want to teach from home, fine, have a para or another teacher who has a free period cover your class in person while you teach from home.  I mean, if it is okay for a student to learn from home, a teacher should be able to teach from home.  

I would hate to teach from home again, I know a few teachers that would love it but it has nothing to do with worrying about covid.

You won’t like this but I disagree with some of this. If parents don’t want their kids in the classroom then they need to home school. And if teachers don’t want to be in the classroom then they need to find another profession. Actually, maybe the better solution is to give everyone the Zoom option, match up X number of Zoom students with X number of Zoom teachers and everyone else goes to school. But if there are too many in either group then it’s home school or find a different profession. The expectation should be like it used to be, going to school is the norm and Zoom school is now just an alternative exception. And I wouldn’t blame any teacher one bit if they chose another direction. Unfortunately teaching has become a lot more risky profession. And yes, the pay should reflect that fact. Everyone knows the majority of parents don’t want to deal with Johnny and Susie all day every day at home.

I’d also do away with contact tracing. The only people held out would be actual positives. I’m just way over this deal.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

People whining about masks.  Those poor poor souls…

For some of us (me anyway) it’s not an issue of the inconvenience of masks. I wear one when and where I have to. It’s not that big of a deal. But we all know kids won’t mask effectively, as well as most adults. How many improperly worn chin diapers have you seen? My experience is more often than not. My preference is that we transition to people taking care of themselves by where they go, when and the type of mask they wear and how. Everyone else can play Russian Roulette to the degree they choose.

6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You won’t like this but I disagree with some of this. If parents don’t want their kids in the classroom then they need to home school. And if teachers don’t want to be in the classroom then they need to find another profession. Actually, maybe the better solution is to give everyone the Zoom option, match up X number of Zoom students with X number of Zoom teachers and everyone else goes to school. But if there are too many in either group then it’s home school or find a different profession. The expectation should be like it used to be, going to school is the norm and Zoom school is now just an alternative exception. And I wouldn’t blame any teacher one bit if they chose another direction. Unfortunately teaching has become a lot more risky profession. And yes, the pay should reflect that fact. Everyone knows the majority of parents don’t want to deal with Johnny and Susie all day every day at home.

I’d also do away with contact tracing. The only people held out would be actual positives. I’m just way over this deal.

This!!!

I did one year of “blended teaching”. Im glad I have a generally easy gig (I teach an “exploratory” class), or I would have walked out.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Oh I agree with you.  It should be in person at school for everyone.  

But, if you are going to let kids stay home and learn over zoom then you might as well let teachers stay home to teach.  If the argument is in fact, safety.  Which it clearly is not.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This!!!

I did one year of “blended teaching”. Im glad I have a generally easy gig (I teach an “exploratory” class), or I would have walked out.

Yep, it also created issues where a lot of teachers LOVED "teaching" from home.  The ease of waking up and teaching from your couch.  The freedom to run errands or play golf, the chance to work a second job from home if you wanted.

Now, some of them don't want to go back to the classroom.

Just now, suh_fan93 said:

Cry me a river...

You like jumping through pointless hoops while people tell you aren’t doing it right?

Go sub for a day in a masked building and honestly tell me if the way we do it makes a freaking difference at this point.

Until then, do your own crying…

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

You like jumping through pointless hoops while people tell you aren’t doing it right?

Go sub for a day in a masked building and honestly tell me if the way we do it makes a freaking difference at this point.

Until then, do your own crying…

No crying here unlike....

My wife works in a school  She wore her mask every day and will so when she goes back.  Never heard her complain once but please tell us how 'rough' it is...