The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

Thank goodness I can mask up now.  

What do you think masking in school should look like? 

And what role should teachers have in making sure it happens?

And now that vaccines are readily available and teachers are leaving in droves, is the added tasks worth it?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Thank goodness I can mask up now.  

not a huge fan of the "my wife" or "my brother" and all that stuff...but I get it.

With that said, teaching with a mask on, while annoying, is not all that hard.

What we are saying is that the rules about the masks for the students don't accomplish anything.  So it is pretty much pointless.  It is bad theater.  

All it really does is put one more thing on my plate that I am supposed to police...while telling them to put their phones away, telling them to get off instagram or pintrest, telling them to take their airpods out, telling them to pay attention, blah blah blah

• Thanks 3

Yep, it’s not the inconvenience or the hassle or whatever, the problem with masks and kids is THEY DON’T WEAR THEM PROPERLY OR ENOUGH TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. So why the charade to require them? No crying involved just common sense and reality.

And if it’s not uncomfortable, you are likely using a deficient mask and/or not using it correctly. That bandana or piece of cloth is mostly wasted effort. That cheapo blue “hospital” mask loses all sorts of effectiveness when the sides are bulging out or it’s below your nose or the nose clamp isn’t pinched. Put on a good N95 mask and wear it properly all day long and come tell me about it. Look at doctors and nurses who wear the good stuff properly. Their faces are bruised, red rings around the mask, rashes etc. 

• Thanks 1

What I would be for, and our district “almost” did it last year, would be to build “masked” and “unmasked” classes by parent preference.

Unfotunately word got out and “anti maskers” felt they were being discriminated against.  Not realizing it was actually an accommodation FOR them..,

that way parents can be called when their kid isn’t wearing a mask and they would actually care.  It would also be a cool case  study regarding transmission in schools.

• Plus1 1

How would everyone handle meetings where 15 people are jammed into a small room, elbow to elbow?  Nobody wears a mask because then they're that guy.  You might as well huff a bag of Covid but that's pretty much the norm it seems.  

It'd be one thing if you got it, recovered, and had a shred of immunity will no lingering effects, but now it's possible to get infected within four weeks.  Then the question becomes about long Covid and how multiple infections affect that probability.  

Remember when Omicron was going to be the savior because it was more mild and we were heading towards just another cold?

51 minutes ago, funhusker said:

What I would be for, and our district “almost” did it last year, would be to build “masked” and “unmasked” classes by parent preference.

Unfotunately word got out and “anti maskers” felt they were being discriminated against.  Not realizing it was actually an accommodation FOR them..,

that way parents can be called when their kid isn’t wearing a mask and they would actually care.  It would also be a cool case  study regarding transmission in schools.

That would be interesting to see how it goes. They could also compile data to compare incident rates between the two.

I just cannot believe the anti-maskers claimed discrimination. They’re usually so reasonable and not prone to being snowflakes. /s  :lol:

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

How would everyone handle meetings where 15 people are jammed into a small room, elbow to elbow?  Nobody wears a mask because then they're that guy.  You might as well huff a bag of Covid but that's pretty much the norm it seems.  

It'd be one thing if you got it, recovered, and had a shred of immunity will no lingering effects, but now it's possible to get infected within four weeks.  Then the question becomes about long Covid and how multiple infections affect that probability.  

Remember when Omicron was going to be the savior because it was more mild and we were heading towards just another cold?

But aren't we kinda there? Increasingly contagious but less dangerous. Still a problem for folks with underlying conditions, who also faced higher risks with the pre-pandemic flu? 

Still a lot to learn about long COVID, but in terms of public health policy it seems we are already logging COVID in the portfolio of risk factors and resuming life much as before. More Americans will continue to wear masks in public, something they've done in China and Japan for years. 

• Plus1 3

37 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But aren't we kinda there? Increasingly contagious but less dangerous. Still a problem for folks with underlying conditions, who also faced higher risks with the pre-pandemic flu? 

Still a lot to learn about long COVID, but in terms of public health policy it seems we are already logging COVID in the portfolio of risk factors and resuming life much as before. More Americans will continue to wear masks in public, something they've done in China and Japan for years. 

You think more Americans will wear masks?

I would be shocked at that.  I don't think you will anyone under the age of 21 wear a mask unless forced.  I would assume everyone that is vaxxed is not going to wear one unless forced.  Non-vaxxed won't wear them.

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Honestly, I would not care.  I don't really think about it anymore.

22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You think more Americans will wear masks?

I would be shocked at that.  I don't think you will anyone under the age of 21 wear a mask unless forced.  I would assume everyone that is vaxxed is not going to wear one unless forced.  Non-vaxxed won't wear them.

I still see a lot of masks around town. 

My wife had Covid a few weeks ago.  I wasn’t symptomatic, but I wore a mask when I went to the store.