Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

12 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Me too and yes he’s electric. Let’s hope the dB was a 8th team walk on that goes back to being in the band next fall. Since when does a cover guy not move his feet until the receiver is 6 inches from your toes lol. Then the dB does a full 360-haven’t seen kids do that since I coached my sons age 8 team- Wow I know the roster is being expanded but are we taking kids that have never played before?  

This isn't a true 1on1 drill, but Jim Leonhard coaches his DB's to stop backpedaling, cut off, & "redirect" (catch) receivers  much like this.  I personally would never coach that, but I'm not implying the guy isn't a great coach either.

6 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I've thought of more questions, I'll shut up about this soon, I promise.

If you are going to come out with this data you need to back it up. He had to know the media would run with it, because it is a crazy/scary claim. People will always report on crazy claims. I'd like to know how many players were given MRI's, how many MRI's showed myocarditis (was it 1/3, 2/6, 3/10???), was a baseline MRI given, how many showed symptoms of COVID, how many showed symptoms of myocarditis, did those positive for myocarditis on the MRI show evidence on EKG, trop, echo? 

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

The sample size here seems to be pretty important. I mean if 10 kids were given MRIs and 3 had myocarditis there's your 30%, but that's not exactly a great sample size to draw this conclusion from not to mention everything else you're asking.

6 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The sample size here seems to be pretty important. I mean if 10 kids were given MRIs and 3 had myocarditis there's your 30%, but that's not exactly a great sample size to draw this conclusion from not to mention everything else you're asking.

Reading the Penn St guy's full comments, I was maybe too hard on him. He basically said - don't make any conclusions off this, just that we need to learn more about this virus. 

And so we are right back to. This could be bad, this could be nothing. We might not know for years. Plan your life accordingly. 

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

This isn't a true 1on1 drill, but Jim Leonhard coaches his DB's to stop backpedaling, cut off, & "redirect" (catch) receivers  much like this.  I personally would never coach that, but I'm not implying the guy isn't a great coach either.

He never backpedaled at all until Moore was on his toes. Then he did a 360, consistently poor effort. Does leonhard coach doing the full 360 spin thing too? That would be a bit out of ordinary right? 

Just now, knapplc said:

Sam asks a pertinent question.

I'd like to believe this is a good sign for the conference's chances for fall football. Hard to tell whether the university presidents are paying attention to this or are more entrenched in medical reports or their own sets of data. With the lack of transparency so far, it's hard to get a pulse on what exactly is going on internally. 

• Plus1 1

Some clarification from Sebastianelli (boy is that a keyboard breaker to type!)

Wayne Sebastianelli was clear that B10 hasn't cardiac MRI'd every athlete who tested positive for Covid. However, among ones that were cardiac MRI'd (don't know number or why they were MRI'd) about 1/3 "had the level of inflammation that was determined to be myocarditis." 

He acknowledged that some experts "feel this is a finding that is incidental and may not warrant any further investigation or concern. And they’ll let somebody compete again" after things clear up. 

He said he didn't know of any comparable tests involving the flu, but said this is a different virus. Was very open about his uncertainty. He specially said there is a need for more study and testing to learn about this. It's a pretty nuanced and lengthy conversation. 

This being Twitter, his comments were praised/condemned wholly. In truth, they are way more down the middle. This is a very reasonable person: "we really want to study this further to understand what is happening with the student athlete." 

One more thing: it wasn’t a “study.” It appears he got this info somewhat informally from other athletic doctors from other schools, which may explain the rough numbers. 

50 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

He never backpedaled at all until Moore was on his toes. Then he did a 360, consistently poor effort. Does leonhard coach doing the full 360 spin thing too? That would be a bit out of ordinary right? 

I don't know about Leonhard, but a lot of coaches teach "speed turns" (360).  Another technique I don't like. 

I get where you were coming from, but #20 here is playing the role of a flex defender, not str8 man.  He would have S help over the top, but he did get SMOKED.

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

I also would like clarification from Mr. Sebastianelli in light of not only the FootballScoop stuff, but now the report from the NFL that no Covid-positive players have developed myocarditis. Something's gotta give between those statements. 

And no one has bothered to compare it to the complications a player gets just from playing football.

Or the odds he caught Covid while not playing football.  These questions don't cease being relevant just because no one wants to answer them.

• Plus1 3