Unpopular Opinions: Husker Edition

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He does and he does.

He didn’t even realize Mills was on the team the first half of the year. (Our best player in offense)

He ran the I formation for one series against OSU and it freaked them out.  We drove the field. Then he had to throw on first and goal for an interception! 

No self discipline to stick with what works.  He as to get cute!

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, SFW said:

He didn’t even realize Mills was on the team the first half of the year. (Our best player in offense)

He ran the I formation for one series against OSU and it freaked them out.  We drove the field. Then he had to throw on first and goal for an interception! 

No self discipline to stick with what works.  He as to get cute!

As expected, your definition of "power running game" is "they have to run out of a certain formation.  Not the case.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, SFW said:

Go back and watch this series. OSU calls a timeout to adjust and when we go back to it they stuff it every time. He tried to go back to it later in the game but OSU knew how to stop it. We caught them off guard and so it was more atune to a truck play. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Go back and watch this series. OSU calls a timeout to adjust and when we go back to it they stuff it every time. He tried to go back to it later in the game but OSU knew how to stop it. We caught them off guard and so it was more atune to a truck play. 

Some folks forget that the other team has a defensive coordinator. If an offense can simply stick with what works, he will get fired.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Do you want the one that was more effective at running the ball or not? 

I honestly don't think he would have done as well in TO's style of offense if you are just throwing him in there.  If Ahman Green and LP are lined up next to Ameer I'm taking one of the other two.

1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I honestly don't think he would have done as well in TO's style of offense if you are just throwing him in there.  If Ahman Green and LP are lined up next to Ameer I'm taking one of the other two.

Which is perfectly fine! That's what this thread is for: unpopular opinions and polite disagreements. I think he would have done just as well, if not better, with better talent around him. 

Ameer was a great Husker RB amongst a bunch.  Rozier and Phillips and Green and Craig were greater.  There were a string of great ones from the 60s thru about 2003 and Burkhead, Helu, Ameer all could have played for Devaney, TO and Solich.  

But the past 16 years we had a bunch of 4th stringers and no co-no. 1s on the charts.  No depth and spent too much time pass blocking and lost the pipeline.  

31 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

There were a string of great ones from the 60s thru about 2003 and Burkhead, Helu, Ameer all could have played for Devaney, TO and Solich.  But the past 16 years we had a bunch of 4th stringers and no co-no. 1s on the charts.  No depth and spent too much time pass blocking and lost the pipeline.  

It was a little lean in the transitional years between Solich and Callahan where Cody Ross was expected to carry the load, and 5 star recruit Marlon Lucky was good but not great. But the past 16 years includes the overlapping seasons with Helu, Burkhead, and Abdullah, who you already credit as worthy. I can only think of one season where the starting running back didn't seem Nebraska-worthy  and that was when Terrell Newby took over in 2015.  Ozigbo, Tre Bryant, and Maurice Washington were all Nebraska-quality running backs with bad luck or lack of support. Doesn't mean the pipeline dried up at all. 

Also, if you want a pipeline, you need to attract RBs with NFL aspirations. And if you aren't willing to pass block, you'll get run out of the NFL in a heartbeat. Roger Craig, Tom Rathman and Ahman Green were famously good at picking up blitzes. Lawrence Philllips, not so much. 

• Fire 1

I never much cared about NFL type RBs although they are fine.  I only cared if they were “the next great Husker I Back”.  The point i was making is that for most of the 40 yrs of Devaney/TO/FS, we had two or usually three excellent RBs. Almost never did since.  Lucky would have been 4th string many years imo.  Newby too.  Mo Washington would not have been recruited by those coaches as a RB imo.  Ozigbo was one of the better ones in last 16 yrs but would not have been a scholarship RB either.  Hes my favorite since Burkhead / Ameer btw.  

17 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I never much cared about NFL type RBs although they are fine.  I only cared if they were “the next great Husker I Back”.  The point i was making is that for most of the 40 yrs of Devaney/TO/FS, we had two or usually three excellent RBs. Almost never did since.  Lucky would have been 4th string many years imo.  Newby too.  Mo Washington would not have been recruited by those coaches as a RB imo.  Ozigbo was one of the better ones in last 16 yrs but would not have been a scholarship RB either.  Hes my favorite since Burkhead / Ameer btw.  

In fairness to Nebraska running backs, you'd have to track their output against the quality of Nebraska's offensive line, the run/pass ratio of the offensive schemes, and general satisfaction with the won/lost record at the end of the season.  Guys like Ken Clark, Derek Brown, and Dan Alexander put up great career numbers in the glory years, , but might be just another Terrell Newby or Devine Ozigbo on recent Nebraska squads with substandard offensive lines. Just as there are system quarterbacks, there are system running backs.

Forced to look this up, I just learned that Terrell Newby had more career yards than Doug DuBose or Jarvis Redwine. Go figure. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In fairness to Nebraska running backs, you'd have to track their output against the quality of Nebraska's offensive line, the run/pass ratio of the offensive schemes, and general satisfaction with the won/lost record at the end of the season.  Guys like Ken Clark, Derek Brown, and Dan Alexander put up great career numbers in the glory years, , but might be just another Terrell Newby or Devine Ozigbo on recent Nebraska squads with substandard offensive lines. Just as there are system quarterbacks, there are system running backs.

Forced to look this up, I just learned that Terrell Newby had more career yards than Doug DuBose or Jarvis Redwine. Go figure. 

Doug Dubose only had 1 prominent season before he tore up his knee before his junior season, and Jarvis Redwine spent his first 2 years are Oregon State before transferring to NU in 1978.  I can see how Newby accumulated yards over his career at NU, and has more than Dubose or Redwine.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Doug Dubose only had 1 prominent season before he tore up his knee before his junior season, and Jarvis Redwine spent his first 2 years are Oregon State before transferring to NU in 1978.  I can see how Newby accumulated yards over his career at NU, and has more than Dubose or Redwine.

Actually DuBose had two consecutive thousand yard seasons at Nebraska. So did Redwine. I just figured they would have piled up more yards as featured studs in a run-happy offense than Newby did as a back-up to Abdullah and less-than-stellar starter on poor rushing squads.