Police Reform

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

And I said I agree. But peaceful is also letting folks that need to get through, through. And not surrounding/jumping on/hitting/kicking the vehicle, or screaming at the driver.

You can peacefully protest and block traffic.

30 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Peaceful protesters are also not the ones that clog up major roads

Yes they can.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

image.png.f5d9304cb9558d88f3d66f738ad83621.png

So, if I’m protesting something and I get 100 people to go stop traffic on I-80 and lay down in the middle of all four lanes to hold up traffic….never touching someone’s car, that’s a violent protest and someone running over them shouldn’t be held accountable by the law?

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, if I’m protesting something and I get 100 people to go stop traffic on I-80 and lay down in the middle of all four lanes to hold up traffic….never touching someone’s car, that’s a violent protest and someone running over them shouldn’t be held accountable by the law?

I want one of you guys to show me where I said that...or anything similar. I appreciate it no one try to put words in my mouth. 

I said, numerous times, that it is peaceful until they accost/attack/harass the driver of the car. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No one said that.  Geesh. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I want one of you guys to show me where I said that...or anything similar. I appreciate it no one try to put words in my mouth. 

I said, numerous times, that it is peaceful until they accost/attack/harass the driver of the car. 

How does the new law effect peaceful protesters?

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

How does the new law effect peaceful protesters?

here is what I found: https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/whats-in-floridas-anti-riot-bill-hb-1-12147768 

How is a riot defined?

The law says that a person "commits a riot" if they:

• Willfully participate in a violent public disturbance involving three or more people
  • Act with the intent of helping each other in committing "violent and disorderly conduct"
  • Cause injuries, property damage, or "imminent danger" of bodily injuries or property damage

The law also creates a charge for "aggravated rioting." A person commits aggravated rioting if, while participating in a "riot," they:

• Participate with 25 or more people
  • Cause "great bodily harm" to someone not participating in the demonstration
  • Cause property damage in excess of $5,000
  • Display, use, threaten to use, or try to use a weapon
  • Impede the movement of a car on a street or highway by using force or the threat of force
  • A driver won't have immunity against prosecution for hitting a protester with their car, but they have some level of civil protection. If a driver feels threatened by a protester and runs them over, the law provides them with some defense mechanisms if they are sued.
  • Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

See my post at the top of the page. 

Problem is, nobody has shown me where the bill defines this. 

12 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

here is what I found: https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/whats-in-floridas-anti-riot-bill-hb-1-12147768 

How is a riot defined?

The law says that a person "commits a riot" if they:

• Willfully participate in a violent public disturbance involving three or more people
  • Act with the intent of helping each other in committing "violent and disorderly conduct"
  • Cause injuries, property damage, or "imminent danger" of bodily injuries or property damage

The law also creates a charge for "aggravated rioting." A person commits aggravated rioting if, while participating in a "riot," they:

• Participate with 25 or more people
  • Cause "great bodily harm" to someone not participating in the demonstration
  • Cause property damage in excess of $5,000
  • Display, use, threaten to use, or try to use a weapon
  • Impede the movement of a car on a street or highway by using force or the threat of force
  • A driver won't have immunity against prosecution for hitting a protester with their car, but they have some level of civil protection. If a driver feels threatened by a protester and runs them over, the law provides them with some defense mechanisms if they are sued.

Way to dodge the question by posting nothing about peaceful protesters.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-desantis-signs-anti-riot-bill-20210419-iltp27x5mzcbheeqvyhclhz2xq-story.html

“The problem with this bill is that the language is so overbroad and vague ... that it captures anybody who is peacefully protesting at a protest that turns violent through no fault of their own,” said Kara Gross, the legislative director at ACLU Florida. “Those individuals who do not engage in any violent conduct under this bill can be arrested and charged with a third-degree felony and face up to five years in prison and loss of voting rights. The whole point of this is to instill fear in Floridians.”

The law, which goes into effect immediately, grants civil legal immunity to people who drive through protesters blocking a road, which Democrats argued might have protected the white nationalist who ran over and killed counter-protester Heather Heyer during the Charlottesville tumult in 2017. It also makes blocking a highway a felony offense.

“Just think about it, you’re driving home from work, and all of a sudden, you have people out there shutting down a highway, and we worked hard to make sure that didn’t happen in Florida,” DeSantis said. “They start to do that, [then] there needs to be swift penalties.”

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

If they don't do the stuff on the list, it would make sense that they would be labeled peaceful...no?

Unfortunately no, read the quote from the article where if others are violent, then peaceful protesters can be arrested as well. Plus, they can be peaceful and can get run over as has already happened before but now there's less accountability for the drivers. The entire point of the law to to suppress free speech by making protesting more dangerous and easier for the government to crack down on - even when peaceful.

• Plus1 1