Police Reform

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Flat water Free Press needs to keep pressing on this hard. 

Yeah they do.  I feel bad for the people who were scammed.  If I was 22 and it happened to me and they were like "give me your 1000 dollars or blah blah blah" I would probably turn it over too.

• TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to imagine This kind of crappy law enforcement entrapment happens way more often than we think.   I believe it was the defense’s case in the MI plot and one other recent case.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-questions-fbis-role-post-223400751.html

She said that it was “heinous” of the men to agree to participate in what she called the government's "made for TV movie.” But, the judge added, "the sentence was the product of a fictitious plot to do things that these men had never remotely contemplated, and that were never going to happen.”

She excoriated the government for sending “a villain” of an informant "to troll among the poorest and weakest of men for ‘terrorists’ who might prove susceptible to an offer of much-needed cash in exchange for committing a faux crime.”

• Fire 1

The famous AbScam sting by the FBI definitely rounded up some corrupt politicians, but the effort that went into tempting and entrapping them just felt like a different side of the same coin. And it cost a lot of taxpayer money.

If you're referring to the Gretchen Whitmer kidnap plot by the Wolverine Watchmen, those dudes had already hatched the plot, performed surveillance, and gathered arms as the FBI informants monitored them and no doubt encouraged them in order to protect their undercover roles. They dropped the hammer when the plot got detailed enough to target Witmer's summer home for the kidnapping, and some less violent Watchmen had simply advocating burning the house down.

You read enough about these militia guys over the years --- the guys who get arrested and the guys who flail in anonymity -- and you wonder if the Wolverine Watchmen would have ever done anything. Or would they have just ranted and bragged and changed their plot a dozen times and kept arguing with each other until the whole thing fell apart. Because there are likely a hundred groups like this having clandestine meeting as we speak. They've always been around, but they are certainly more emboldened now. In many ways it's hard to take them seriously --- they are often really sad and damaged folks engaged in big talk and cosplay. On the other hand, you'd hate to be responsible for them acting on their vows, and law enforcement did nothing despite all the warning flags. 

• TBH 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Honestly a pretty scary video once they started to fight, but the office is a moron. He started off screaming for Cure to exit the vehicle, and continued to escalate the situation at every single point when he could tell cure was agitated. Cure even seemed to calm down and talk in a reasonable tone asking questions but the office was still screaming...

Interesting that the video doesn't show the cruiser's speed. I thought most dash cams for police cars show current speed. Unless the deputy was doing 85mph there's no way Cure was going 100mph. 

• 5 weeks later...