The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 hours ago, nic said:

A presidential candidate calling sitting members of Congress antisemitic. 

Uhm.....Israel might be getting under someone's skin because it is increasingly un-Democratic, dictatorial, and listing to a far right minority. Also, the U.S. is heavily vested in Israel in a way it's not with those other countries except perhaps China, and yes, the same libs have been decrying China's human rights violations for years.  

We all know that both parties tend to ignore human rights violations in countries where we do big business, or are in the habit of ignoring. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nic said:

Apparently the states do not think they are doing a good job. I heard Texas is putting up floating barriers in the Rio Grande. Not sure they will do any better than the wall idea. The US is just too awesome of a country. Everyone wants in. 

The last part of your post is true, and yes the situation at the border is difficult.

The issue is Republicans framing it as a problem solely caused by Biden administration policies that would magically be fixed. This isn't true, unless Congress acts - which they don't - there isn't much a Democrat or Republican administration can do. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh….this is what’s going to get you elected Ronnie. 

#idiot. 

On a side note: is it even possible to sue a public company for losing money?  Might be time to get a little more aggressive with my retirement plan!!!

• Oh Yeah! 1
On 7/21/2023 at 1:45 PM, Dr. Strangelove said:

The last part of your post is true, and yes the situation at the border is difficult.

The issue is Republicans framing it as a problem solely caused by Biden administration policies that would magically be fixed. This isn't true, unless Congress acts - which they don't - there isn't much a Democrat or Republican administration can do. 

I would Congress to act. What would they agree on is the question.

On 7/21/2023 at 11:20 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Uhm.....Israel might be getting under someone's skin because it is increasingly un-Democratic, dictatorial, and listing to a far right minority. Also, the U.S. is heavily vested in Israel in a way it's not with those other countries except perhaps China, and yes, the same libs have been decrying China's human rights violations for years.  

We all know that both parties tend to ignore human rights violations in countries where we do big business, or are in the habit of ignoring. 

And as we speak Israel is “re-balancing power” between the judicial and legislative branches. We wouldn’t do that hear would we?

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-judicial-reforms-vote-intl/index.html

Trump and DeSantis down while Ramaswamy rises per this poll. 

If Trump is forced to drop out, this thing will be wide open and it would be anyone's guess on who could get the nomination.

Doubtful trump drops out even if he's convicted. He's more than willing to drag the country through hell then to admit he's a loser. 

I haven't read much about Ramaswamy but isn't he also trying to outflank Trump on the right like DeSantis is trying to do?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4116663-ramaswamy-ticks-up-in-gop-primary-against-trump-desantis-poll/

34 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Trump and DeSantis down while Ramaswamy rises per this poll. 

If Trump is forced to drop out, this thing will be wide open and it would be anyone's guess on who could get the nomination.

Doubtful trump drops out even if he's convicted. He's more than willing to drag the country through hell then to admit he's a loser. 

I haven't read much about Ramaswamy but isn't he also trying to outflank Trump on the right like DeSantis is trying to do?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4116663-ramaswamy-ticks-up-in-gop-primary-against-trump-desantis-poll/

If Trump is forced out of the race or states don't put him on the ballot, there will be a lot of MAGAts that just write him in.  I wouldn't be surprised if he still won. 

Then what?

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If Trump is forced out of the race or states don't put him on the ballot, there will be a lot of MAGAts that just write him in.  I wouldn't be surprised if he still won. 

Then what?

Time for the GOP to get some balls and disqualify him.  But that won't happen.  Time for all who are in battleground states to vote Dem regardless of party affiliation.  

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2

Mitt with some election wisdom.   He says to wait until after the SC primary for a consolidation of support around one anti-trump candidate.  I say do it before Iowa.  Prior to Iowa, and after a couple of debates, we will know who the contenders are and who the pretenders are.  

I'm thinking that DeSantis is this year's version of former Wisc Gov Scott Walker - who I liked at the time.  He was the hot button candidate going into the primary in 2016  but stumbled badly in the debates and was one of the first to exit stage right.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donors-dont-fund-a-trump-plurality-drop-out-primaries-gop-trump-ccf632b9

Despite Donald Trump’s apparent inevitability, a baker’s dozen Republicans are hoping to become the party’s 2024 nominee for president. That is possible for any of them if the field narrows to a two-person race before Mr. Trump has the nomination sewn up. For that to happen, Republican megadonors and influencers—large and small—are going to have to do something they didn’t do in 2016: get candidates they support to agree to withdraw if and when their paths to the nomination are effectively closed. That decision day should be no later than, say, Feb. 26, the Monday following the contests in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina.

There are incentives for no-hope candidates to overstay their prospects. Coming in behind first place may grease another run in four years or have market value of its own: Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum got paying gigs. And as former New Hampshire Gov. John H. Sununu has observed, “It is fun running for president if you know you cannot win.”

Left to their own inclinations, expect several of the contenders to stay in the race for a long time. They will split the non-Trump vote, giving him the prize. A plurality is all that is needed for winner-take-all primaries.

Candidates themselves used to consolidate the field to achieve what they saw as a greater purpose. In 1968, potential candidates William Scranton, Charles H. Percy, Mark Hatfield, John Chafee and Nelson Rockefeller rallied around my father, George W. Romney, instead of seeking nomination themselves, because they believed he had the best shot of stopping Richard Nixon. When my dad’s campaign faltered, he and they swung to Rockefeller to carry their cause forward. They were unsuccessful but not because of blind political ambition or vanity. They put a common cause above personal incentives.

Such narrowing of the field doesn’t happen today. The vast expansion of super PACs gives megadonors oversized influence on campaigns. A few billionaires have already committed tens of millions of dollars. They have a responsibility to give their funds with clear eyes about their candidate’s prospects. Donors who are backing someone with a slim chance of winning should seek a commitment from the candidate to drop out and endorse the person with the best chance of defeating Mr. Trump by Feb. 26.

Donors may think that party leaders can narrow the field. Not so. Candidates don’t listen to party officials, because voters don’t listen to them either. And the last people who would ever encourage a candidate to withdraw are the campaign staff and consultants who want to keep their jobs for as long as possible. They buck up candidates, promoting long-shot prospects and favorably biased internal polls. I can almost hear the words from “Dumb and Dumber”—“So you’re telling me there’s a chance?”

Our party and our country need a nominee with character, driven by something greater than revenge and ego, preferably from the next generation. Family, friends and campaign donors are the only people who can get a lost-cause candidate to exit the race. After Feb. 26, they should start doing just that.

• TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election