The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Contrary to popular opinion, I’m not a Dr.  However, I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before.

My mom is in Memory Care.  Her mom was diagnosed and two of her 4 sisters are in assisted living/memory care.  It runs in the family.  Forgive me if I don’t care what pisses you off.  

The Big Guys has memory issues.  The entire world can see it, and if you truly work with memory patients everyday you understand it ain’t getting any better and most likely one day with quickly progress.   Not something we need as a President.  

Apologies about your family. Hope they're doing as well as they can. Stuff sucks.

You want a fair take? Yeah he's got the same type of memory issues as most people of his age. Same as his opponent. If I wanted to I too could go tit for tat with clips of his opponent misspeaking and forgetting things. Our political system is poised to spit out a couple olds again this cycle as our choices. I think that sucks but it's the system we've got and I don't foresee changes coming because the system is so resistant to change.

That said your "diagnosis" is just shooting from the hip unless you're privy to his medical records. Some cognitive decline is normal as we age. Your assumption that it's a "severe brain function issue" that is bound to progress is just 100% your opinion unless you're Dr. Archy, MD, and you're the president's personal physician.

I get that it's easy to arrive at that conclusion, especially for Republicans, but it's just not medically sound.

And, in spite of my own beliefs here, that Special Counsel opinion was some typical politicized GOP bullcrap. No case to charge him, so might as well get a few punches in that give the party something to run on. But then I wouldn't expect a Trump appointee to call balls and strikes fairly. I would expect them to do something politically beneficial for their party, which is what they did.

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ya, he may not have dementia but he is at a minimum having normal memory issues as an aging person. I don't want him as president but I want Trump a lot less. Assuming we still have a legit election in 2028, I hope we have some candidates between the ages of 35 and 60 who aren't crazy or stupid. I do think Biden's issues have been built up as more than they actually are, but I'm tired of people (mostly boomers, I assume) thinking age = wisdom and ignoring other factors.

Yep. Typical cognitive changes with aging. I wish we didn't have a system that spat out people this old, but here we are.

If we assume both aren't as sharp as they once were, I'll take the non-fascist with good policy that actually benefits me and people I care about 10/10 times.

• TBH 2

On a related note... have we finally run out of people like Clinton and Biden to throw out there? I am tired of hanging onto these people. The Democrats got lucky with Obama I think. Except I recall reading that he wasn't great when it came to fundraising for the DNC.

Just now, Danny Bateman said:

Yep. Typical cognitive changes with aging. I wish we didn't have a system that spat out people this old, but here we are.

If we assume both aren't as sharp as they once were, I'll take the non-fascist with good policy that actually benefits me and people I care about 10/10 times.

Ya, Trump has always been who he is. I would take 80 year old Biden over Trump at any age.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Apologies about your family. Hope they're doing as well as they can. Stuff sucks.

No apologies needed.   Life happens and everyone has some type of cross to bear.

10 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

You want a fair take? Yeah he's got the same type of memory issues as most people of his age. Same as his opponent. If I wanted to I too could go tit for tat with clips of his opponent misspeaking and forgetting things. Our political system is poised to spit out a couple olds again this cycle as our choices. I think that sucks but it's the system we've got and I don't foresee changes coming because the system is so resistant to change.

Joe couldn’t remember when he was VP according to Joe.  That’s not “normal” for even people his age.  Joe is probably close to where Reagan was at the end of his last few years of Presidency.  I dare so we wouldn’t have wanted a third Reagan term even if it were legal given his memory issues.  

It’s not about going tit for tat, it’s about being forthright in saying neither candidate should be acceptable.  

15 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

That said your "diagnosis" is just shooting from the hip unless you're privy to his medical records. Some cognitive decline is normal as we age. Your assumption that it's a "severe brain function issue" that is bound to progress is just 100% your opinion unless you're Dr. Archy, MD, and you're the president's personal physician.

I didn’t diagnose anyone.   When people here call Trump cheeto head, they aren’t really diagnosing him with an actual Cheeto for a head ya know:thumbs  It’s a descriptor.  

Just because you can’t understand that Joe has mental/memory issues that make him a bad candidate, doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t speak to it.  And I might take you a little seriously on this issue when I see you make these same comments to the folks posting about Trumps mental state.   Otherwise we know it’s just you defending your guy.  Which I get it. 

19 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

And, in spite of my own beliefs here, that Special Counsel opinion was some typical politicized GOP bullcrap. No case to charge him, so might as well get a few punches in that give the party something to run on. But then I wouldn't expect a Trump appointee to call balls and strikes fairly. I would expect them to do something politically beneficial for their party, which is what they did.

It’s Merrick’s guy!  

BTW….if Biden were mentally sound, he wouldn’t have been let off for once he is no longer President.   That’s part of the report.  

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Just because you can’t understand that Joe has mental/memory issues that make him a bad candidate, doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t speak to it.  And I might take you a little seriously on this issue when I see you make these same comments to the folks posting about Trumps mental state.   Otherwise we know it’s just you defending your guy.  Which I get it. 

It’s Merrick’s guy!  

BTW….if Biden were mentally sound, he wouldn’t have been let off for once he is no longer President.   That’s part of the report.  

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying you don't know he has severe cognitive issues bound to rapidly get worse anymore than I know that about Trump. It's why you won't see me propagate that type of narrative about him even though that type of stuff is definitely out there. Being a buffoonish, comically corrupt fascist who cares only about himself offers a target-rich environment. 

Garland is a timid institutionalist who appointed a Trump appointee to head off Republican complaints about bias. He behaved exactly like you'd expect a young Republican Trump appointee to act and wrote a report with a nice Trumpy narrative for his party to work with.

Frankly, if the phrase "I don't recall" in the context of a deposition equates to someone who is not mentally sound, then we need to start building a lot more damn memory care units.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

48 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

On a related note... have we finally run out of people like Clinton and Biden to throw out there? I am tired of hanging onto these people. The Democrats got lucky with Obama I think. Except I recall reading that he wasn't great when it came to fundraising for the DNC.

Ya, Trump has always been who he is. I would take 80 year old Biden over Trump at any age.

Yeah with his charisma and broad appeal he was a generational candidate but under Obama the DNC became all about him and screwed the state party infrastructure for downballot Democrats pretty much everywhere. Republicans seized the opportunity and it's why they've got a stranglehold on a lot of state governments.

I don't think there's anyone left after Biden. The old guard is pretty much done. And Bernie is too old to represent the leftists in 2028. So the next crop will probably be Newsome, Buttigieg, Pritzker, Whitmer, etc. A lot of governors.

• Plus1 1

The people that defend Joe or Don's memory sound like kids that don't want to accept the fact that their parents are losing their mind.

They both are and it is only going to get worse, not better.  That much we know.  

And for the most part, it is normal.  It is what tends to happen as we age.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The people that defend Joe or Don's memory sound like kids that don't want to accept the fact that their parents are losing their mind.

They both are and it is only going to get worse, not better.  That much we know.  

And for the most part, it is normal.  It is what tends to happen as we age.  

Yeah, there is no sense in defending either one of their memories. They are both too old and mentally feeble. There are limitless examples of both misspeaking and being confused. This is why there needs to be an age limit for President, Senators and Congress persons.

But these are the two poor choices the system has left us with. I’ll take the doddering old man over the doddering old willfully criminal and tyrannical d!(k all day long.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, there is no sense in defending either one of their memories. They are both too old and mentally feeble. There are limitless examples of both misspeaking and being confused. This is why there needs to be an age limit for President, Senators and Congress persons.

But these are the two poor choices the system has left us with. I’ll take the doddering old man over the doddering old willfully criminal and tyrannical d!(k all day long.

Remember how smooth Bill Clinton was, I miss that!

Or Ron and his jokes, I miss that.

Instead we have to pretend that Joe has a stutter and that Don should not be in prison.  

It is all so stupid.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
6 hours ago, teachercd said:

Remember how smooth Bill Clinton was, I miss that!

Or Ron and his jokes, I miss that.

Instead we have to pretend that Joe has a stutter and that Don should not be in prison.  

It is all so stupid.

It very much is dumb.

But Republicans love their 78 year old Rapist candidate, with clear memory problems and multiple criminal indictments. He's going to win the Republican nomination and likely the Presidency because he reflects what conservative voters want in their candidate. 

Democrats seem more willing to admit that age is an issue with their candidate but also wouldn't (and shouldn't) entertain the idea of running another candidate. I guarantee you that Gavin Newsome and Gretchen Witmer talked to the consultants and concluded that they would lose any challenge to Joe Biden badly.

• TBH 2

10 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It very much is dumb.

But Republicans love their 78 year old Rapist candidate, with clear memory problems and multiple criminal indictments. He's going to win the Republican nomination and likely the Presidency because he reflects what conservative voters want in their candidate. 

Democrats seem more willing to admit that age is an issue with their candidate but also wouldn't (and shouldn't) entertain the idea of running another candidate. I guarantee you that Gavin Newsome and Gretchen Witmer talked to the consultants and concluded that they would lose any challenge to Joe Biden badly.

It is such an odd spot because how do you not have a sitting president run again.  

My gambling site updated again and it is now pretty much 50/50, where a few days ago Trump was "favored" 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It very much is dumb.

I wonder if there is any chance at the convention, that the Dems take a turn - if the polls look bad and Biden hasn't diminished the talk about his mental health and age.   I know the GOP won't move from Trump regardless of the stupidity that he spills out but the Dems aren't caught in a cult mindset.  They can still evaluate who gives them the strongest hand in November.  

Truely, I wish Biden would have played the role of the elder statesman who came in for 4 years, accomplished an economic turn around and then decided to leave on a high note.  He reminds me of a stubborn coach who hangs on for too long and finishes badly.  Bobby Bowden for example.  Tom left at a high point - which I wished he hadn't left then but stayed on 5 more years but Bobby stayed and FSU suffered - but I digress.    There are several good Dem governors who are young and could take on the aging, senile, treasonous, dictator want-to-be Trump 

- Whitmer of Mich, Beshear - Ky,  Pritzker - Ill, beside Newsom who wants it all so badly and doesn't hide it (the one I would not care for but who would be better than Trump).  

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder if there is any chance at the convention, that the Dems take a turn - if the polls look bad and Biden hasn't diminished the talk about his mental health and age.   I know the GOP won't move from Trump regardless of the stupidity that he spills out but the Dems aren't caught in a cult mindset.  They can still evaluate who gives them the strongest hand in November.  

Truely, I wish Biden would have played the role of the elder statesman who came in for 4 years, accomplished an economic turn around and then decided to leave on a high note.  He reminds me of a stubborn coach who hangs on for too long and finishes badly.  Bobby Bowden for example.  Tom left at a high point - which I wished he hadn't left then but stayed on 5 more years but Bobby stayed and FSU suffered - but I digress.    There are several good Dem governors who are young and could take on the aging, senile, treasonous, dictator want-to-be Trump 

- Whitmer of Mich, Beshear - Ky,  Pritzker - Ill, beside Newsom who wants it all so badly and doesn't hide it (the one I would not care for but who would be better than Trump).  

Incumbents have a big advantage, so the Dems would have to accept giving that up. Biden is charismatic and generally liked while I can't say the same about the other potential candidates. Maybe there's one that could be as I'm not very familiar with the potential candidates, but the Dems have nominated uncharismatic candidates that tend to do poorly in a Presidential election.

• Fire 1
18 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Incumbents have a big advantage, so the Dems would have to accept giving that up. Biden is charismatic and generally liked while I can't say the same about the other potential candidates. Maybe there's one that could be as I'm not very familiar with the potential candidates, but the Dems have nominated uncharismatic candidates that tend to do poorly in a Presidential election.

Yes, I understand that argument about the power of incumbency.   But this is unlike any other previous election - 2 very elderly guys running.  Both with apparent cognitive issues.    On his record alone - Biden should be trouncing Trump in all polls. Heck, he should be trouncing Haley as well.  But his age/aging issues is overshadowing his accomplishments.   And both guys, are charismatic in their own way.   Of the governors I mentioned, I would say Newsom is the most charismatic.  But I think Beshear and Whitmer specifically would get high marks for governing in both of their states - Beshear in a GOP dominated state and Whitmer is a  state that could be considered somewhat purple - not always solidly blue as Trump took it in 2016 (thanks to Hillary thinking she could take it for granted). 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election