The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, nic said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna132291

All 9 judges agreed.....this was a no-brainer.

"The ruling makes it clear that Congress, not states, has to set rules on how the 14th Amendment provision can be enforced against federal office-seekers. As such, the decision applies to all states, not just Colorado. States retain the power to bar people running for state office from appearing on the ballot under Section 3.

Makes sense. I understand the sense of urgency but you can't just say someone's bad and then they get kicked off a ballot. Imagine the chaos that would ensue.

• TBH 1

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Makes sense. I understand the sense of urgency but you can't just say someone's bad and then they get kicked off a ballot. Imagine the chaos that would ensue.

It's not really even that. I'm very very far from being a constitutional scholar but here's section 3 of amendment 14 and also section 3 of article 3 of the constitution:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

So yeah, the ruling makes it clear that Congress has the power to decide this. But also, there's the whole "unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act" part that doesn't seem to be acknowledged or explained at all.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Agreed. This decision wasn't about Trump. I would be against a state doing this to Biden because some election official or secretary of state decided he was unfit.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

Well, as a still registered Republican (so I can vote in a primary only), I proudly casted my vote against Trump this morning.  Voted for Haley who was not my first choice when this began - but it is what it is.  When the GE comes around in Nov - I'll gladly vote against Trump again.  

Just doing my small part to save our democracy.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 6
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I thought about this on the ride to work this morning because they mentioned a renewed trade war with China and stiffer tariffs. 

I’m sure those policies will sell well to a lot of folks but polls results like this really just reinforce how financially illiterate most of the electorate is. 

Tariffs are a tax on Americans. Lol

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

And yet, even as the logically correct ruling, it sucks that it has the secondary effect of letting Trump pretend he did nothing wrong.

He’s already touting it as such and his moronic followers lap it up. 

Also the Supreme Court issues an inordinate amount of rulings that rely on Congress not being hopelessly broken in order to address major issues. The end result is just a big game of passing the buck somewhere it’s going to sit and gather dust.

9 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Tariffs are a tax on Americans. Lol

Exactly. But as you note, the financially illiterate will eat this up as " being hard on China'.  China laughs when MAGA pounds their chests. 

Some more commentary on the Michigan Uncommitted voters.

NYT: Opinion: Charles M. Blow: Arab American Fury Toward Biden

“As bad as Mr. Trump’s rhetoric was, and him putting a travel ban on five Muslim countries, he wasn’t overseeing and actively arming a genocide.”

“In dehumanizing the Palestinians, Biden had surpassed Trump.”

---------

Biden's not getting these voter Muslim voters back. So the question becomes how many of the Uncommitted voters were Muslim? Uncommitted took >10% in 70 of Michigan's 83 counties. Other than Wayne county where Dearborn is, I think the Uncommitted vote is much more likely to vote Biden. I would guess there were plenty of college kids that wanted to show solidarity with Palestine but will vote for Biden in the fall.

This is the first time I've thought that Trump might have a chance in Michigan.

1 hour ago, Gage County said:

“As bad as Mr. Trump’s rhetoric was, and him putting a travel ban on five Muslim countries, he wasn’t overseeing and actively arming a genocide.”

---------

Biden's not getting these voter Muslim voters back. So the question becomes how many of the Uncommitted voters were Muslim? Uncommitted took >10% in 70 of Michigan's 83 counties. Other than Wayne county where Dearborn is, I think the Uncommitted vote is much more likely to vote Biden. I would guess there were plenty of college kids that wanted to show solidarity with Palestine but will vote for Biden in the fall.

Yep

Many former students, now in college, follow my schools social media so their stuff pops up, most of it is just pictures of them doing fun college stuff, but any pictures about "politics" are Pro-Pally, 100%.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Gage County said:

---------

These people are impossibly stupid. But the problem with the American Left is virtue signaling has become more important than electoral outcomes. These people don't think for a nanosecond about the Trump alternative to the issues in Palestine. I hope Trump institutes the most pro-Israeli policies imaginable if nothing else but to show how profoundly idiotic these leftist voters are. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
10 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

But the problem with the American Left is virtue signaling has become more important than electoral outcomes.

I think that has become an electorate problem.  I see it far too often on the right.  It’s why we get crappy general election candidates, and like you’ve noted, lose winnable elections. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
14 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

These people are impossibly stupid. But the problem with the American Left is virtue signaling has become more important than electoral outcomes. These people don't think for a nanosecond about the Trump alternative to the issues in Palestine. I hope Trump institutes the most pro-Israeli policies imaginable if nothing else but to show how profoundly idiotic these leftist voters are. 

I think this way also. But it's not worth putting him in charge to find out. It's not like anyone who doesn't vote or votes for Trump would ever own up to it later or feel bad about it.

• TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election