The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Gage County said:

HuffPo: A Shocking Number Of Minnesota Democrats Cast ‘Uncommitted’ Ballots

Nearly 20% of Minnesota Democratic voters opted to vote “uncommitted” in Tuesday’s presidential primary, as efforts gain momentum to send a message to President Joe Biden about his backing of Israel amid the soaring civilian casualties in its war in Gaza.

Again, the vast majority of people who turn out in primaries are the extremists within the party. The people who voted "uncommitted" are so far left there is no way they will vote for Trump. Might they stay home, sure. They might also vote third party, but they are the extremists, so they will more than likely show up in the general and they will break 90 percent or better for Biden. The same percent of Republican primary voters will McConnel it up too. Primary voters are too tied to party identity to vote against the candidate and too self important to stay home. The election will be decided by those who didn't vote in primaries who are so disillusioned with both parties that they refuse to blindly accept one over the other. If Biden wins, it won't be because more people voted FOR Biden it will because those swing voters voted NOT Trump. 

Trump is either loved or hated, Biden doesn't inspire strong feelings in anyone. IMO Biden wins the popular vote by a landslide, 60%-40% or better, but the electoral college makes it a toss up. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I do appreciate the well articulated post, and I agree with most of it. 

I do disagree with the "Not Trump" portion at the end, because the Biden Presidency has been the most liberal Presidency from a policy standpoint in decades.  The idea that Biden is simply the "not Trump" option that doesn't deliver positive policy outcomes is frankly just wrong.

Agree that Biden's behind-the-scenes governing and even his on-camera (prepared) speeches have been better than I expected, and you can even make a compelling case for his success as President. The Left's criticism of Biden is not dissimilar to its criticism of Obama and Hillary because leaning farther left is what they do. While some fret over the Left's influence (and others the lack of it), you look up decades later and realize some of America's most cherished mainstream values were once derided as leftist utopianism. But I digress.

At the end of the day, or end of the term, Biden is being judged not for his governance but for the lack of energy he provides, whether it's a cheap shot about his age, the highly relevant "enthusiasm gap" the Biden/Harris ticket has with voters, or the messaging battle they are clearly losing. There has to be a way to talk about this openly and critically without being considered a Trump enabler. 

BIden's path to the Presidency in 2020 went from being an underfunded and under-performing primary candidate to being the unifying moderate whose only job was to beat Donald Trump. We would worry about his age and popularity later. Later is now here and when you throw together all Joe's accomplishments and misteps, the #1 reason to vote for him is still Not Trump, and it just might be enough to pull this off. 

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, Gage County said:

HuffPo: A Shocking Number Of Minnesota Democrats Cast ‘Uncommitted’ Ballots

Nearly 20% of Minnesota Democratic voters opted to vote “uncommitted” in Tuesday’s presidential primary, as efforts gain momentum to send a message to President Joe Biden about his backing of Israel amid the soaring civilian casualties in its war in Gaza.

Goes with my comment if people are honest with themselves on both sides, they don't like their candidate.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Goes with my comment if people are honest with themselves on both sides, they don't like their candidate.

I don't think Biden has a lot of popular support. I think most people are like me - I'm never voting for the other guy, so it's Biden. 

Edit to add - This will be the third straight election that the Democrats have put up a candidate that has big popularity problems. Clinton in 2016, and now Biden in 2020 & 2024. They absolutely cannot afford to do that in 2028. Someone much younger, much more charismatic, has to be on that ticket.

• TBH 3
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

His extreme Liberal policies as you mention are preventing this. 

Or --- and hear me out --- it could be having policies that are supported by a majority of Americans being cockblocked by Republicans, including Republicans who supported similar policies back when Republicans would get the credit. Not to mention having America's #1 news network demonizing policies they willfully misrepresent as extreme. 

I will give you the border crisis, which the Biden administration underestimated and obfuscated until they realized it was perhaps THE electoral hot button. But as you and I both agreed, it's not as though a conservative policy is more easily implemented or likely to succeed. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
  • Worth a Look 2

10 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Or --- and hear me out --- it could be having policies that are supported by a majority of Americans being cockblocked by Republicans, including Republicans who supported similar policies back when Republicans would get the credit.

Could be but isn’t.  

• TBH 1
13 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't think Biden has a lot of popular support. I think most people are like me - I'm never voting for the other guy, so it's Biden. 

Edit to add - This will be the third straight election that the Democrats have put up a candidate that has big popularity problems. Clinton in 2016, and now Biden in 2020 & 2024. They absolutely cannot afford to do that in 2028. Someone much younger, much more charismatic, has to be on that ticket.

I certainly hope they do nominate a younger candidate, however, Democrats do have a problem with their coalition. It can be difficult to find a candidate that makes all elements of that coalition happy while also being competitive in a general election.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Overall Bidens speech was pretty good. There aren't going to be that many undecided voters watching but I do think non-right wing news coverage will be positive. 

We'll see if poll numbers improve this time next month or not. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I certainly hope they do nominate a younger candidate, however, Democrats do have a problem with their coalition. It can be difficult to find a candidate that makes all elements of that coalition happy while also being competitive in a general election.

Overall Bidens speech was pretty good. There aren't going to be that many undecided voters watching but I do think non-right wing news coverage will be positive. 

We'll see if poll numbers improve this time next month or not. 

This is probably not correct.  It is the Howard Stern effect.  People that don't "like him" are the ones that watch/listen the longest.  

Look at the people here that claim to NEVER watch FOX or newsmax or the other one, not sure of the name, yet constantly post videos from them.

Now, are they swayed, who knows.  

• TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1
51 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Look at the people here that claim to NEVER watch FOX or newsmax or the other one, not sure of the name, yet constantly post videos from them.

I'm one of those people, and I can guarantee you the only reason I post those is because someone in my twitter feed posted it because it's wrong/lying/stupid. I haven't watched Fox News in more than ten years, and the last time I did it was because it was all that was on in the hotel lobby.

52 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Now, are they swayed, who knows.  

I am unswayed. 

• TBH 1
8 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Could be but isn’t.  

The reality is that most Americans support some policies on both sides if moderated in the middle.  Problem is both parties are pulling us apart and trying to pull everything to their extreme.  Compromise and moderation is what we need.  That isn't happening any time soon with the people in charge.

Edit:  I should add Fear mongering has added to the issue as well.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm one of those people, and I can guarantee you the only reason I post those is because someone in my twitter feed posted it because it's wrong/lying/stupid. I haven't watched Fox News in more than ten years, and the last time I did it was because it was all that was on in the hotel lobby.

I am unswayed. 

I 100% agree and get what you are saying.  My point is...we still end up "watching" it or seeing it.

We don't really "ignore it" it is almost impossible to do that anymore.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I 100% agree and get what you are saying.  My point is...we still end up "watching" it or seeing it.

We don't really "ignore it" it is almost impossible to do that anymore.

There’s a big difference between what he is saying and what you’re saying. 

There are people who sit and watch it every night cheering the BS on and being brain washed. 

Then, there are people like me and @knapplc that know it’s totally BS and post a clip to show others it’s BS. 

Big difference. I can guarantee you that Fox, Newsmax, OAN haven’t been on in my house for possibly 18 years. 

• Plus1 2