The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It is such a rare situation that it's asinine to think now the whole world needs to get involved with telling everyone how it's supposed to be handled.  Let people involved handle it however they see fit for the individual situation.  Every situation is different and needs to be handled differently.

Should we allow anabolic steroids in youth sports if the parent agrees that’s what’s best for their child?  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I have taught for 20 plus years and we have a lot of other teachers on this site...I bet we have 100+ years of teaching kids and combined have taught over thousands of students...

I have not had one student, in all that time, that was a girl who wanted to be a boy.

I feel like parents can handle this one...not the government. 

We have two kids who are transitioning in our building.  The school did nothing except follow the wishes of parents, the students, and I’m assuming their therapists.

Both are females transitioning to males.

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, funhusker said:

We have two kids who are transitioning in our building.  The school did nothing except follow the wishes of parents, the students, and I’m assuming their therapists.

Both are females transitioning to males.

So you had to take down the nudie calendar in the shop class?  Haha

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Should we allow anabolic steroids in youth sports if the parent agrees that’s what’s best for their child?  

You're disingenuously combining two separate issues:

Should we allow anabolic steroids in youths if the parent agrees that's what's best for their child? Easy answer: yes

Should we allow anabolic steroids in sports? Easy answer: no

If the question you're really asking is: Should we allow youths that are taking anabolic steroids for other reasons to still be allowed to participate in sports? More nuanced answer: yes, with a doctor's approval that it's safe for the youth to participate.

33 minutes ago, RedDenver said:
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

You're disingenuously combining two separate issues:

Should we allow anabolic steroids in youths if the parent agrees that's what's best for their child? Easy answer: yes

Should we allow anabolic steroids in sports? Easy answer: no

The easy answer isn’t no anymore.  It used to be.   Many states now allow boys to compete with girls in youth and HS sports.  The effect on the girls in that scenario is similar to the  disadvantages non steroid using athletes face against steroid using athletes.  

We are at the point in society where people now say whatever the kid and parents want is what we should cater to.  So what if the parent decides that what is best for their child is to use steroids to bulk up and be the best athlete they can possibly be at a young age.   How is that different than allowing a kid to transition and compete in another genders sports?   

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The easy answer isn’t no anymore.  It used to be.   Many states now allow boys to compete with girls in youth and HS sports.  The effect on the girls in that scenario is similar to the  disadvantages non steroid using athletes face against steroid using athletes.  

First, you deliberately left out the last part of my post that had the nuanced answer. Second, you're again disingenuously combining issues:

Should we allow youths that are taking anabolic steroids for other reasons to still be allowed to participate in sports? I already answered this.

Should we allow transgender athletes to compete in gender-separated sports that do not match their sex at birth? This is an extremely complex question that we're still struggling to answer. It's not anywhere as simple as society simply caters to these transgender youths or their parents, in fact it's usually the exact opposite with much hate, vitriol, and sometimes violence directed their way.

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

We are at the point in society where people now say whatever the kid and parents want is what we should cater to.  So what if the parent decides that what is best for their child is to use steroids to bulk up and be the best athlete they can possibly be at a young age.   How is that different than allowing a kid to transition and compete in another genders sports?   

You're just making up the bolded part. As I said in the previous post that you mysteriously left out, letting athletes taking steroids to compete should require a doctor's approval.

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What happens when a kid approaches a teacher with this issue and the teacher/counselor knows the parent's are a major issue with this that is a real threat to the wellbeing of the kid?  The counselor needs to have the freedom to discuss these issues with the kid without being required to tell everything to the parents.  I know that makes many people very uncomfortable.  But, those people aren't thinking about the reality that some kids live in at home.

Not all kids grow up in a great environment. None are perfect. Social workers may need to get involved. There is a system and procedures in place for this, and it's not perfect. Doesn't mean a teacher or school makes the decisions here. Same as discovering child abuse. Maybe a doctor sees signs, but he doesn't make decisions other than reporting the potential for investigation. There are two separate lawsuits in Northern Colorado where a teachers formed an after school "art club" which was really a "gender identity" forum. Parents let kids sign up and notice negative and even suicidal outcomes from letting their kid go. 

• Plus1 1

Why is it hard?

If a boy now wants to be a girl...they should play against other girls.  Period, end of discussion. 

It is not about the girls feelings on the team or in the sport, it is about creating opportunities for people that are changing.

Same goes for age.

These things are created by society.  For years we have been told pink is for girls and "he/she doesn't act his/her age" and "age is just a number"

You can't preach it all the time and then try to change it.

You are either for it or you are against it.  

I think most of us are for it.  I am still pissed there is this crazy "cut off" date to start kindergarten.  Yet, for years I have heard "Oh my gosh, your daughter is only 3, she looks and acts like she is 6"

If you are white/black but identify as something else, that is fine.

Who/what you want to marry, is up to you.  No one else.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Should we allow youths that are taking anabolic steroids for other reasons to still be allowed to participate in sports?

I never asked that question.   You put the qualifier in the actual question I asked.  

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Should we allow transgender athletes to compete in gender-separated sports that do not match their sex at birth?

Pretty simple answer..NO

• Plus1 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election