The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

How could butting heads with Obama hurt a GOP candidate? 

My (worthless) opinion is that Tim is a pretty moderate as a R.

Obama is for the most part, widely popular and well respected.  If there are D's that are sort of on the fence about being a D or actually vote on issues...there is a chance they would look at Scott BUT if they really liked Obamba they might look at someone else, thinking "You know what, if Obama didn't like him, I won't like him"

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If the definition of cutting of SS to help it become solvent long term takes means testing into account, then I think we all can agree that type of cutting is wholly appropriate.  

I don’t necessarily agree with raising the retirement age across the board, but I could get in line with means testing the retirement age also (the more you are worth, the higher the retirement age).   You can’t raise the age across the board because the body’s of blue collar workers just can’t hold up till they’re 70 working those jobs.   They may live longer, but that doesn’t mean they can work the same job longer.  

I think we should also consider mandatory 3% 401k inputs from people’s paychecks if we are gonna take from others on the SS side.   Some people need to be forced into saving or they never will 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If the definition of cutting of SS to help it become solvent long term takes means testing into account, then I think we all can agree that type of cutting is wholly appropriate.  

I don’t necessarily agree with raising the retirement age across the board, but I could get in line with means testing the retirement age also (the more you are worth, the higher the retirement age).   You can’t raise the age across the board because the body’s of blue collar workers just can’t hold up till they’re 70 working those jobs.   They may live longer, but that doesn’t mean they can work the same job longer.  

I think we should also consider mandatory 3% 401k inputs from people’s paychecks if we are gonna take from others on the SS side.   Some people need to be forced into saving or they never will 

So we should force people to save their own money for retirement, for their own good, but we can’t force (mandate) health insurance coverage, for everyone’s benefit, or mask use in the midst of a global pandemic?

Weren’t you just bragging about being consistent in another thread?

BTW, I agree with your 2nd paragraph…

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I'm old enough to remember Republicans being outraged when Democrats said they wanted to cut SS.  Well, I'm glad they are now having an honest discussion about it.

I don't have a problem considering your second paragraph.  What I also never understood is why is there a cap on the amount of income that is taxed for SS?  I believe the new cap is $160,000.  Why not make that $500,000 or higher?

I'm fine with an honest discussion on making adjustments to SS as long as the people who need it, still get it.

• Plus1 1

Yeah...running on the platform of cutting SS is not going to get many votes.

I mean, it might not matter since w are going to run out of drinking water in the next few months (I kid, I kid)

But yeah, no one is voting for a guy that is literally going to try and take their money away.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

So we should force people to save their own money for retirement, for their own good, but we can’t force (mandate) health insurance coverage, for everyone’s benefit, or mask use in the midst of a global pandemic?

Weren’t you just bragging about being consistent in another thread?

BTW, I agree with your 2nd paragraph…

Respectfully, your comparisons are completely wrong.   No one is asking people to give up insurance and force other people to buy insurance in order to save the private insurance industry (it is/was doing just fine in case you weren’t aware) No one is asking people to not wear masks so others are forced to wear masks and save the mask industry.  

What your point about consistently is, who knows:dunno

In terms of SS (which is what was being discussed) if you ask some people to go without it after paying in for a lifetime, or have others raise their retirement age all because SS could become insolvent in its current form, it’s wholly appropriate to ask the rest of working society to not be complete idiots and contribute to a retirement plan.  The other option would be to put a small percentage of their SS into an index fund and the problem would go away, but our politicians are too stupid for the common sense solution. 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I'm old enough to remember Republicans being outraged when Democrats said they wanted to cut SS

I’m old enough to remember that when Republicans talk about means testing, Democrats immediately squawk about talking granny’s and gramps retirement away, knowing it has nothing to do with them.  Cool stuff.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

You can’t raise the age across the board because the body’s of blue collar workers just can’t hold up till they’re 70 working those jobs.   They may live longer, but that doesn’t mean they can work the same job longer.  

Yep. You probably can't do this on a case by case basis, but some people simple deserve a Social Security retirement more than others. 

Hard working Americans typically take the hit. 

• TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election