The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

:laughpound

Oh there it is again.  But don't call the GOP fascist.   

I'm curious what group would be next to the gulags.....in his pea brain fever dream.

DAs? Journalists?  Scientists? Never Trumpers? Plain old RINOs? Gays?, Trans? Jews? Libs? Members of the intelligence community?  Immigrants?  Muslims?  Buddhists? Hindus? Baptists?  Methodists?  Atheists?  "Husker Board Liberal Think Tankers"? Environmentalists?  Desantisists?  

I'm sure his list is long.  

27 minutes ago, commando said:

we will concentrate them all into 1 place...where we can take care of them.   it's the best solution

such a good solution that you would never need another solution. We could call it The Last Solution or something memorable like that so history would remember 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, commando said:

first they came for the homeless....

While the good-hearted liberals in my community would be appalled by Trump's vision, many do in fact demand a solution that involves not seeing homeless people anymore. If you promised to move all the homeless people to some out of sight location, you would likely have their vote, and I can't guarantee there would be a lot of follow-up on the quality of life or sustainability of the solution. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

While the good-hearted liberals in my community would be appalled by Trump's vision, many do in fact demand a solution that involves not seeing homeless people anymore. If you promised to move all the homeless people to some out of sight location, you would likely have their vote, and I can't guarantee there would be a lot of follow-up on the quality of life or sustainability of the solution. 

Here's the thing.  The majority of people would agree that a well thought out program of moving homeless people somewhere where they can be provided for, given aid to help improve their lives and get on their own, and they aren't a menace to the community...would be a great thing.

But....that's not what Trump is talking about.  If he is, I would love to hear his detailed plan for accomplishing it.  To me, he's just saying, if you're homeless, you're going to get arrested....so, get off the streets and figure out your own life.

So...I guess the people who sell their home, jump in the car or camper and just travel around the country would be breaking the law under his plan.

18 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

:laughpound

More Red Meat from The Red Meat Mentor.  Make the cities beautiful again by rounding up and sending the homeless to tent cities.  Let's just treat them like cattle in the stockyards.

I wonder if he got the idea while reading Mein Kampf-  you know the book he has on his night stand. 

https://www.ushmm.org/collections/bibliography/ghettos

As one of the first steps in the Nazi plan to murder the Jews of Europe, the German authorities ordered the concentration and segregation of Jews into ghettos. Jews from smaller communities were transported into the ghettos of nearby towns and cities. The large number of people and the limited available space and resources resulted in severe overcrowding, starvation, and disease.

Ghettos in Poland | Holocaust Encyclopedia

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

More Red Meat from The Red Meat Mentor.  Make the cities beautiful again by rounding up and sending the homeless to tent cities.  Let's just treat them like cattle in the stockyards.

I wonder if he got the idea while reading Mein Kampf-  you know the book he has on his night stand. 

https://www.ushmm.org/collections/bibliography/ghettos

Ghettos in Poland | Holocaust Encyclopedia

This is more what I'm talking about.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/30/567477160/how-the-loss-of-u-s-psychiatric-hospitals-led-to-a-mental-health-crisis

A big part of homelessness is mental health issues and many times that's all tied to drug use.

We need institutions again where these people are housed and get treatment to improve their lives.  I know, there were lots of horror stories about these back in the day.  OK....figure out how to improve those instead of just getting rid of them all together.  As this article points out, it's not as easy as just saying..."bring back institutions".  But, the article is talking about incarcerations and not homelessness.

Many of the private mental health hospitals still in operation do not accept insurance and can cost upwards of $30,000 per month, Sisti says. For many low-income patients, Medicaid is the only path to mental health care, but a provision in the law prevents the federal government from paying for long-term care in an institution.

40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's the thing.  The majority of people would agree that a well thought out program of moving homeless people somewhere where they can be provided for, given aid to help improve their lives and get on their own, and they aren't a menace to the community...would be a great thing.

But....that's not what Trump is talking about.  If he is, I would love to hear his detailed plan for accomplishing it.  To me, he's just saying, if you're homeless, you're going to get arrested....so, get off the streets and figure out your own life.

So...I guess the people who sell their home, jump in the car or camper and just travel around the country would be breaking the law under his plan.

Oh yeah. Trump's plan is not a plan, just shrill grandstanding. I'm just going by personal experience here in my Marin County city of 54,000, which bears most of the brunt of homelessness for the entire county because there is a transit center, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, religious & government social services, a 7/11,  Safeway, and Goodwill, plus parkland and overpasses all within a few downtown blocks of each other. 

A couple years ago a citywide hearing on the homeless brought out a lot of folks, including myself, because it was clearly the biggest issue in this genuinely pleasant place to live. I'm sure most of the folks, like myself, identify as liberal, and while they expressed the desire for compassionate solutions for homelessness, there was also a lot of anger, and virtually every proposal was simply about getting the homeless out of sight. Everyone loved the idea of using a patch of land near the freeway two miles away to move all the soup kitchens and overnight housing, never quite considering how the average homeless day actually works, or why social services are located where they are. 

But if you promised to build that Homeless Center where no one would have to see the homeless, I think a lot of folks would forget to question who was taking them there and what was keeping them there. Out of sight, out of mind. 

25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh yeah. Trump's plan is not a plan, just shrill grandstanding. I'm just going by personal experience here in my Marin County city of 54,000, which bears most of the brunt of homelessness for the entire county because there is a transit center, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, religious & government social services, a 7/11,  Safeway, and Goodwill, plus parkland and overpasses all within a few downtown blocks of each other. 

A couple years ago a citywide hearing on the homeless brought out a lot of folks, including myself, because it was clearly the biggest issue in this genuinely pleasant place to live. I'm sure most of the folks, like myself, identify as liberal, and while they expressed the desire for compassionate solutions for homelessness, there was also a lot of anger, and virtually every proposal was simply about getting the homeless out of sight. Everyone loved the idea of using a patch of land near the freeway two miles away to move all the soup kitchens and overnight housing, never quite considering how the average homeless day actually works, or why social services are located where they are. 

But if you promised to build that Homeless Center where no one would have to see the homeless, I think a lot of folks would forget to question who was taking them there and what was keeping them there. Out of sight, out of mind. 

I've read a lot about homelessness in CA is exacerbated by the cost of housing.  Meaning, there are perfectly healthy, employable people who can't afford a home, so they are homeless.  Is this the case in Marin County?

51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've read a lot about homelessness in CA is exacerbated by the cost of housing.  Meaning, there are perfectly healthy, employable people who can't afford a home, so they are homeless.  Is this the case in Marin County?

The people who can't afford a home in Marin move elsewhere and commute, or keep going out of state. Housing costs are crazy here, but they still answer to supply and demand. 

There are some employed people who live in cars and RVs or sublet or couch surf for awhile, but if we're talking homeless people on the street — and that's what outcry is usually about -- they are people with chronic mental health and substance abuse issues. They gather where social services and survival resources are concentrated. The bedroom community two miles from us has virtually none of this. You can typically pay not to see homeless people. 

Housing costs are definitely an issue, but the most persistent segment of the homeless population will have a hard time paying monthly rent, whether it's $1,000 or $4,000. The tiny house movement is getting a lot of play right now, as they might prove cheaper and more lasting.  

• TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election