The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh yeah. Trump's plan is not a plan, just shrill grandstanding. I'm just going by personal experience here in my Marin County city of 54,000, which bears most of the brunt of homelessness for the entire county because there is a transit center, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, religious & government social services, a 7/11,  Safeway, and Goodwill, plus parkland and overpasses all within a few downtown blocks of each other. 

A couple years ago a citywide hearing on the homeless brought out a lot of folks, including myself, because it was clearly the biggest issue in this genuinely pleasant place to live. I'm sure most of the folks, like myself, identify as liberal, and while they expressed the desire for compassionate solutions for homelessness, there was also a lot of anger, and virtually every proposal was simply about getting the homeless out of sight. Everyone loved the idea of using a patch of land near the freeway two miles away to move all the soup kitchens and overnight housing, never quite considering how the average homeless day actually works, or why social services are located where they are. 

But if you promised to build that Homeless Center where no one would have to see the homeless, I think a lot of folks would forget to question who was taking them there and what was keeping them there. Out of sight, out of mind. 

Not saying this is your stance, but this is clearly a brilliant idea. Move the homeless to places where people can't see the. Then we can truly forget the immense income inequality, lack of mental Healthcare and drug treatment center and that poverty even exists. It works so good for rural poverty already. If it's out of sight it will truly get the correct amount of attention to properly address the situation.

4 hours ago, commando said:

interesting that someone gives a laugh o lantern to a post showing russians threatening to nuke the U.S.    guess i don't see the humor in it.  can anyone help me see the humor in nuclear war?   

Ya it’s funny.   You must never have heard of mutually assured destruction.   I’m not worried about Russia Nuking us.  It’s the lone terrorist organization that would worry me more.   They don’t give a s#!t. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Not sure what you’re so worried about.  Obama told us it ain’t the 80’s anymore remember??  Russia isn’t a threat based on his genius assessment.  

Sarcastic appeal to authority is just as much a logical fallacy as non-sarcastic appeal to authority.

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

It's Archy. You have to expect it. 

LOL.  I had a post within the last two week that only said I agreed with @sho and three people put the laugh face on it.   You gonna get to the bottom of that one?  Or pretty much any of the posts that people put a laugh face on but don’t reply.  Happens quite often yet you don’t seem to reply to those:thumbs

Matter of fact, there have been 3 posts about random people and child molestation charges in the Republican Utopia in the past few days yet I haven’t seen you ask the poster why they posted it:dunno.   Curious as to why you only have an interest in one thread about why people post or for one poster why they use a board reaction when others use the same one?   

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1
18 hours ago, Scarlet said:

Marco crying about the incompetence of Florida's elected officials while his governor is babbling about "woke", "woke" and more "woke" (whatever that is) in South Carolina.  

Ken Burns is no fan of DeSantis.  He sees the historical viewpoint.    Too many "leaders" in the GOP do not have the historical viewpoint or knowledge to rightly judge the events in the world today.  Trump, Marge, DeSantis being the most visible.  They only work off of current moods and ideas (capturing the lowest common denominator) and don't have the intellectual depth to think through the consequences of their positions.  AS I TYPE THAT, I HAVE TO CHANGE TO:  They have used their intellect to think though the current environment to create the consequences which they desire.  They aren't the victims of their own stupidity but rather they create victims in the wake of their devious ideas and policies.   To listen to Marge, Trump and now DeSantis, it is plain to see that they have a very limited view of the American story and have a distorted view of American Exceptionalism.   The founding fathers and GOP leaders of the past, Lincoln, Eisenhower, Reagan, would counter everything the current crop of GOP leaders stand for.  

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/3888158-documentarian-ken-burns-says-desantis-bills-are-like-soviet-system/

Documentarian Ken Burns on Tuesday said the bills that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) is advocating for resemble the “Soviet system” in deciding what students are allowed to be taught in a classroom. 

Burns said during an interview on “CNN This Morning” that the “suppression” of ideas, where those ideas might lead and facts is not what makes the United States “great.” He said the country’s greatness comes from who the American people are, how they investigate who they are and how they celebrate their diversity. 

All of these bills that DeSantis and others are doing limit our ability to understand who we are, and they are not inclusive — they are exclusive. They are narrowing the focus of what is and isn’t American history. It’s terrifying. It feels like a Soviet system or the way the Nazis would build a Potemkin village,” he said. 

Burns’s appearance came after he posted a Twitter thread on Monday criticizing a proposed Florida bill that would prohibit public universities in the state from promoting, supporting or maintaining programs or campus activities that “espouse” diversity, equity and inclusion or “Critical Race Theory rhetoric.” 

DeSantis and other prominent conservatives throughout the country have railed against initiatives to promote diversity, equity and inclusion and critical race theory, which is a graduate-level theory that examines how race has played a role in the development of U.S. law and society. 

“By trying to dictate what teachers can and cannot teach, Florida House Bill 999 is an assault on the very liberties articulated by the Founders and something that all Americans should speak out against,” Burns tweeted. 

DeSantis has also faced sharp criticism from opponents for pushing for legislation like the Parental Rights in Education law, which restricts teachers from discussing sexual orientation or gender identity in certain cases. 

He told CNN that he is currently working on a series about the American Revolution, and the Founding Fathers would not approve of the actions that DeSantis is taking. 

“I can tell you that Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine and George Washington and John Adams and James Madison and Alexander Hamilton are rolling over in their graves if they think that this person is carrying the mantle of what it is to be American,” Burns said. 

He said DeSantis and others are reacting to issues that challenge the idea of a “neat, tidy, white picket fence” view of society. He said the world is complicated, and race is “in everything we touch.” 

Burns said Jefferson, who wrote the Declaration of Independence, declared that “all men are created equal” but also owned slaves. 

“Our whole story is based in a discussion in race along with the meaning of freedom, and that’s complicated too,” he said.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 4

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

LOL.  24% in a race he hasn’t even entered in.     Different than an incumbent President with 70% of people not wanting Him to even run:laughpound

Dude who reads ZeroHedge, the Epoch Times, the Post Millennial, the Daily Sceptic, Biz Pac Review, the Daily Caller, Judicial Watch, and voted for a wannabe dictator twice, and will again in 2024, has thoughts :laughpound

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1
22 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Dude who reads ZeroHedge, the Epoch Times, the Post Millennial, the Daily Sceptic, Biz Pac Review, the Daily Caller, Judicial Watch, and voted for a wannabe dictator twice, and will again in 2024, has thoughts :laughpound

Posting thoughts on an internet message board.   What a novel concept.  Who could have imagined someone would do that.   Outside of a work day even. :dunno

• Fire 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election