When will the B1G pull the plug on our football season?

When will the B1G pull the plug on our football season?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. When will our season officially get cancelled?

• August 22nd or sooner (within 2 weeks)
    • August 23rd to September 5th (just prior to first game)
    • In September after after first game
    • In October or November
    • Cancelled? You crazy....we’re getting the whole enchilada.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/12/2020 at 08:22 AM

11 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It sucks, nobody disagrees. 

But our country has to many selfish individuals who equated doing the bare minimum, mask wearing and social distancing, to some form of government overreach. 

Our society ignored science. Losing football is one the many consequences. If you want somebody to blame, look in the mirror or at anybody not wearing a mask.

It’s tiring to continually blame everyone for being selfish. The more precautions we take, the more it spreads. You cannot stop this thing.  

the error, and it’s in hindsight, is the poor leadership from the top. Should have been 3 months of 50 states doing the exact same thing. The same can be said for the NCAA. Plug pulling should come from them. 

• Plus1 3

21 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I could be wrong, IDK, but I cannot imagine that if/when the B1G cancels conference games (they’ve already cancelled non-cons) that they would possibly allow member institutions to then scrimmage or play teams from other conferences. This whole line of discussion seems like some pretty incredulous flailing. I mean I get it, people want to see football and at the very least want their teams improving and getting experience. But imo when it gets cancelled it’s over and we’ll just have to accept it.

Oh you can absolutely remove the 'pretty' from your bolded statement.  What I suggested is flat out incredulous failing.  I'm grasping at the graspiest of straws.  I'm talking those straws that looked like roller coasters!  ROLLER COASTERS!

• Haha 1
51 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

It’s tiring to continually blame everyone for being selfish. The more precautions we take, the more it spreads. You cannot stop this thing.  

the error, and it’s in hindsight, is the poor leadership from the top. Should have been 3 months of 50 states doing the exact same thing. The same can be said for the NCAA. Plug pulling should come from them. 

The virus spreads much less the more precautions are taken. I don't know where nonsense saying otherwise comes from.

In Lincoln alone, there was a noticeable drop in cases shortly after a mask mandate went into effect. 

I do agree that lack of effective leadership also caused the spread. Governor Ricketts is threatening Lincoln with legal action concerning the aforementioned mask mandate, even though the results are effective. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Archy1221 said:

What would prevent the school that want to play, to find other likeminded schools and come up with a schedule and sell that to a network and split the revenue?  Something in the BIG bylaws preventing this type of scenario??

Many hurdles on that path. The conferences had less hurdles and couldn't clear those. This idea is pie in the sky imo 

• Plus1 1

These Presidents are awfully ignorant if they think having kids on campus and in dorms and going to house parties and bars is gonna make for any different outcome in infections than kids playing football or soccer, or whatever fall sport there is.  

the only difference is that most of the general student population will probably never even know they are infected because of asymptomatic cases or very slight illness that doesn’t get tested. As opposed to athletes who will constantly be tested and those cases would be caught.   

This is just a legal CYA.  The bean counters are probably saying they could will lose more money by being sued if there is a bad outcome vs the revenue lost of canceling or moving to the spring.  

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Many hurdles on that path. The conferences had less hurdles and couldn't clear those. This idea is pie in the sky imo 

I understand logistics would be tough esp in a tight timeframe. 

I do wonder about and would love to see these conference presidents have a news conference and tell us why the risk of CTE, paralysis, is acceptable for these athletes, but possible exposure is Covid-19 is a bridge too far.  Which will cause more long-term harm to a greater population of their student-athlete population.

• Plus1 1
On 8/9/2020 at 12:34 AM, Nebfanatic said:

I think they should treat the fall like spring camp and do a spring season. There has already been a lot of lost time on the practice front. 

I have a feeling that when normal cold & flu season ramps up in December/January that this entire country is going to lose its damn mind even more than it has the past few months. My gut feeling is that the perceived danger of COVID won't be any less in the spring as it is now - it could probably be argued it'll be higher.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I have a feeling that when normal cold & flu season ramps up in December/January that this entire country is going to lose its damn mind even more than it has the past few months. My gut feeling is that the perceived danger of COVID won't be any less in the spring as it is now - it could probably be argued it'll be higher.

I was thinkimg more April than January. Ultimately it is a chance to do the things necessary to have a season. Its either give that a go or have no season at all. I'm just saying its more feasible than now simply due to the fact we have time to take action about it. Will we? Thats an entirely different discussion. 

• Plus1 1