Censorship

4 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Well, then they're just as stupid as Lemon, but if Elon did cancel him for asking hard questions the irony is... chef's kiss!

Agree for sure. Mr "Free Speech" ...unless it makes me look bad 

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/politics/2024/3/6/1_6797025.amp.html

Canada is going off the cliff. No way this doesn't shut down protests. 

Bill C-63, also known as the Online Harms Act, seeks to introduce harsher penalties for existing offences. It would allow sentences of up to five years behind bars for hate propaganda, up from the current two years. It would also allow a judge to impose lifetime imprisonment for advocating genocide.

Such moves are "draconian," the Canadian Civil Liberties Associated has warned, adding that they could stifle public discourse, including through "criminalizing political activism."

Is using the term "from the river to the sea" advocating genocide? Time to elect a new government up north.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Exactly right. Like there is nothing more pressing than this?

I am sure China has really learned a lot from all the crockpot videos I have watched on TikToK

"Ahhhhh, TeacherSan very very lonely, but still cook very big meal in crockpot"

• Haha 3
45 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am sure China has really learned a lot from all the crockpot videos I have watched on TikToK

"Ahhhhh, TeacherSan very very lonely, but still cook very big meal in crockpot"

I think the bigger issue is the millions of Americans that just open up their digital information and lives to the Chinese govt.  But god forbid those people get a vaccination because Bill Gates is going to track their blood sugar levels!

There is also people that claim the Chinese are intentionally targeting American kids with certain content to fuel the stupid stuff we see everyday in school.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I think the bigger issue is the millions of Americans that just open up their digital information and lives to the Chinese govt.  But god forbid those people get a vaccination because Bill Gates is going to track their blood sugar levels!

There is also people that claim the Chinese are intentionally targeting American kids with certain content to fuel the stupid stuff we see everyday in school.

Well they did target the world with covid...so maybe they are trying to target our digital information.  

And I was joking, I hate China, which I know offends some here but they suck and so does their commie country. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3
7 hours ago, funhusker said:

Yes because having Faux, Musk, Zuckerberg, Cambridge analytica, Sinclair Broadcasting and Lee Enterprises force certain content down kids and society's throats is so much worse. Got forbid anyone think critically and hear different viewpoints than the one the oligarchs want us to hear, read, see 

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Yes because having Faux, Musk, Zuckerberg, Cambridge analytica, Sinclair Broadcasting and Lee Enterprises force certain content down kids and society's throats is so much worse. Got forbid anyone think critically and hear different viewpoints than the one the oligarchs want us to hear, read, see 

I think those outlets should also be broken up and better regulated.  They all play a primary role in making our politics and government the s#!tshow it is.  They are making Americans dumber, not better informed.  They latch on to internet behaviors of users and force feed them similar content ROBBING the users of hearing legitimate opposing viewpoints.

American companies are protected by the 1st amendment and we need to learn to deal with it much better than we have.  Why make matters worse, along with intelligence concerns, to bow down to the Chinese communist party?

• TBH 1

It is an interesting argument and one that has been going on since "marketing" became a thing and really one that has been going on since about the 1950's

Does marketing (however you want to define that) influence us or do WE influence the "marketing".  Sociologists that study Pop Culture believe that we don't really decide what is popular but instead media (all forms) picks for us.  

Why would the Beatles have been more popular than any other similar band of the time?  

So I think @funhusker has a good point.   I am sure you (and I, because of our jobs) see the TikTok influelnce on kids every single day.

With that said, it can too far, like heavy metal music making kids do bad things or violent games making people violent.  Research doesn't really show that is a reason.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is an interesting argument and one that has been going on since "marketing" became a thing and really one that has been going on since about the 1950's

Does marketing (however you want to define that) influence us or do WE influence the "marketing".  Sociologists that study Pop Culture believe that we don't really decide what is popular but instead media (all forms) picks for us.  

Why would the Beatles have been more popular than any other similar band of the time?  

So I think @funhusker has a good point.   I am sure you (and I, because of our jobs) see the TikTok influelnce on kids every single day.

With that said, it can too far, like heavy metal music making kids do bad things or violent games making people violent.  Research doesn't really show that is a reason.

I understand your point about rock and roll and violent video games.

But Just the thought experiment of having students do a “TikTok challenge” of picking up the most trash in a day is interesting.  You know if it was allowed to spread, our halls would be spotless.  The danger with a foreign group controlling the message is intentionally making the bad things popular because they know they are bad things. And they know people will do it if it makes them look cool online.

And mostly, I’m just really ficking tired of the job title “influencer”….fick you and your mooching lifestyle.  Have some respect and go hold a cup on the corner or “influence” some long haul truckers at your local truck stop!

• TBH 1