Censorship

14 hours ago, funhusker said:

I once had a Facebook post removed because I jokingly told a friend that someone should “slap the stupid out of” him.  I got the message from FB saying it was deleted for promoting violence and laughed. 

This is hilarious. I bet I would not last a week on FB. I didn’t realize FB was being overly sensitive.

14 hours ago, funhusker said:

People are so freaking soft anymore, it’s pathetic.

Amen to this.

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I can’t find where she says her First Amendment rights were stripped away in that post?  

10 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I don't see where she said her 1A rights were stripped away. I think she's pissed because linkin took down an innocuous post due to political stance only...because there was nothing offensive about it

Correct she does not explicitly say "my 1st Amendment rights were stripped away." Might've just been some unintentional/incorrect word choice by funhusker there.

But, she is trying to suggest her 1A rights were infringed for having her account restricted after what she said. I don't agree with her account restriction at all, however people need to stop conflating 1A rights to meaning they can say whatever they want on whatever platform they want. I think that's kind of what funhusker was getting at by I don't want to speak for them.

LinkedIn is a private company that can manage its community, for the most part, as it wishes. Now I don't support or really understand why they restricted her account just based off that one screenshot, but lobbying Freedom of Speech into there was just lazy and inapplicable.

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Correct she does not explicitly say "my 1st Amendment rights were stripped away." Might've just been some unintentional/incorrect word choice by funhusker there.

But, she is trying to suggest her 1A rights were infringed for having her account restricted after what she said. I don't agree with her account restriction at all, however people need to stop conflating 1A rights to meaning they can say whatever they want on whatever platform they want. I think that's kind of what funhusker was getting at by I don't want to speak for them.

LinkedIn is a private company that can manage its community, for the most part, as it wishes. Now I don't support or really understand why they restricted her account just based off that one screenshot, but lobbying Freedom of Speech into there was just lazy and inapplicable.

Agree with you, and I misinterpreted the tweet when I first read it

10 hours ago, Enhance said:

I didn’t quote her incorrectly.  I didn’t quote her at all.

It’s obviously exactly what I was getting at.

@Archy1221 was just trying to be difficult.

• Plus1 3

This looks like a debate that got shut down by law students no less. What are they afraid of?

"The school’s Federalist Society hosted the March 10 panel, which featured Monica Miller, of the progressive American Humanist Association, and Kristen Waggoner, of the conservative Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF). About 120 student protesters showed up with signs attacking the ADF to shout down the speakers, with one reportedly recorded on audio telling a member of the conservative group that she would "literally fight you, b----."

• Plus1 1
On 4/10/2022 at 6:27 AM, funhusker said:

It took me longer to get a beer I ordered at dinner last night than it took the table next to me to get their food.  We had the same waiter.

Sometimes annoying things happen.  

I once had a Facebook post removed because I jokingly told a friend that someone should “slap the stupid out of” him.  I got the message from FB saying it was deleted for promoting violence and laughed.  And then went about my day.

People are so freaking soft anymore, it’s pathetic.

It’s a social media entry.  It’s not a big deal.  

“LinkedIn reinstated an Air Force veteran's post and apologized after wrongfully accusing her of violating the platform's hate speech policy.”

• Oh Yeah! 2
29 minutes ago, nic said:

“LinkedIn reinstated an Air Force veteran's post and apologized after wrongfully accusing her of violating the platform's hate speech policy.”

Seems like the right choice. Hopefully something LinkedIn can learn from.

Speaking from experience, it's not easy to moderate reported content because people often have agendas and see something they want to see. I'm guessing somebody read that and got offended for... I don't know... thinking that the AF vet was minimizing other peoples' challenges? Suspected white privilege? Could've been anything. And then some moderator read the report and was like "oh yeah I see that" and boom - account restriction.

I've fallen into that trap before of seeing something just through one lens or the initial lens of the person who has a problem, and sometimes you need to research and dig into the context (or evaluate the statement from a different perspective) to get a better understanding of what's happening.

• Plus1 1
On 4/5/2022 at 8:30 AM, nic said:

Musk is now on the BOD.  an overhaul of how Twitter applies rules to ban folks would be a good start.

“Looking forward to working with Parag & Twitter board to make significant improvements to Twitter in coming months!" Musk wrote, responding to Agrawal's tweet. 

Interesting turn of events.

Musk keeps his stake in company but turns down BOD.

Maybe Twitter isn’t so bad if he feels he’s not needed to help make changes?

And he’s facing a lawsuit for improper disclosure of his purchase.

Im shocked, I tell ya!

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/elon-musk-twitter-lawsuit/#app

• Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

Interesting turn of events.

Musk keeps his stake in company but turns down BOD.

Maybe Twitter isn’t so bad if he feels he’s not needed to help make changes?

And he’s facing a lawsuit for improper disclosure of his purchase.

Im shocked, I tell ya!

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/elon-musk-twitter-lawsuit/#app

His BOD seat was contingent on him never owning more than 14.9% of the company.   It’s possible he has more shares to buy

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
56 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Man I’m smart 

It will be interesting to see what he does with it.

My guess is he is still just leveraging the "free speech" issue to make some cash.  I still believe he cares more about his money than people being able to spew whatever crap they want on Twitter.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

It will be interesting to see what he does with it.

My guess is he is still just leveraging the "free speech" issue to make some cash.  I still believe he cares more about his money than people being able to spew whatever crap they want on Twitter.

He certainly cares that he be unfettered on twitter. I think anyone else's ability to spew whatever they like would be a tangential outcome to whatever he's doing.

This is first and foremost about him. 

• Plus1 1