Censorship

6 hours ago, funhusker said:

I think 

The last thing this world needs is another social media platform to spread whatever ill-informed thought pops into Aunt Betty's senile old skull...

How many platforms do we need?: Twitter, Facebook, Parlor, Youtube, TikTok...If you Google "social media platforms" there are dozens of options available.

So, you would limit the available platforms? Who is to say how many is too many?

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

So, you would limit the available platforms? Who is to say how many is too many?

More seriously though, Elon makes it sound like Twitter is the only place people can go.  That is not true at all.

He also makes it sound "taboo" if anyone were to start a new platform.  Many folks have already done that, and many more will.  

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, funhusker said:

I think 

The last thing this world needs is another social media platform to spread whatever ill-informed thought pops into Aunt Betty's senile old skull...

How many platforms do we need?: Twitter, Facebook, Parlor, Youtube, TikTok...If you Google "social media platforms" there are dozens of options available.

Since 2020, Facebook is where you go to lose friends.:cowbell:

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

More seriously though, Elon makes it sound like Twitter is the only place people can go.  That is not true at all.

He also makes it sound "taboo" if anyone were to start a new platform.  Many folks have already done that, and many more will.  

New platforms don’t gain much steam. Parlor was shut down by Amazon and others that refused to provide servers for their platform. Musk has enough $ to avoid the monopolies ganging together to kill the competition. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Facebook, Instagram, youtube, Tik Tok, Telegram, Marco Polo, Snapchat, Pinterest, Reddit, Quora, individual messageboards of which there are hundreds of thousands...

Plenty of "town square" options available. Hell, your actual town square is also available! But as far as I know millions of people from all across the world don't congregate in your town square and never did, so the sanctimonious whining is very much based off a strawman idea.

• Plus1 5
18 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Facebook, Instagram, youtube, Tik Tok, Telegram, Marco Polo, Snapchat, Pinterest, Reddit, Quora, individual messageboards of which there are hundreds of thousands...

Plenty of "town square" options available. Hell, your actual town square is also available! But as far as I know millions of people from all across the world don't congregate in your town square and never did, so the sanctimonious whining is very much based off a strawman idea.

What is "your town square"? The only social media I am on is LinkedIn, and this forum is literally the only place I post anything. :lol: My wife is on Facebook. I used to read those posts until 2020 and 2021 when I got sick of all the hypocrites. I suspect you approve of how the  Twitter police run their show, and are actually worried Musk will follow through. Musk is rich enough to create a platform with instant popularity. Heck, I bet my teenage boys would get on it just because it's Musk. I would not join it, but it would make me smile because the big techs could do nothing to stop it. If he needs servers....he will just buy a bunch. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
2 hours ago, nic said:

What is "your town square"? The only social media I am on is LinkedIn, and this forum is literally the only place I post anything. :lol: My wife is on Facebook. I used to read those posts until 2020 and 2021 when I got sick of all the hypocrites. I suspect you approve of how the  Twitter police run their show, and are actually worried Musk will follow through. Musk is rich enough to create a platform with instant popularity. Heck, I bet my teenage boys would get on it just because it's Musk. I would not join it, but it would make me smile because the big techs could do nothing to stop it. If he needs servers....he will just buy a bunch. 

re: the bold, I think Twitter has done a horrendous job being inconsistent with their enforcement and lackthereof of their terms and conditions, and I think there's a massive conversation/reckoning about how badly social media companies operate and how bad their platforms are for us.

But the 'town square' argument is just an incredibly weak and lazy one. The town square still exists, and you've got every right and opportunity there that you ever have. If you have to make it an analogy Twitter is closer to the modern day newspaper stand, aggregating/amplifying entertainment and news channels which... those have always been privately owned too. 

• Plus1 4

8 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

:facepalm:

what a clown

These hot takes coming out about how Disney should be punished are so cataclysmically moronic. Disney employs approx. 80,000 Floridians (which, interestingly enough, DeSantis only won Florida by roughly 30,000 some odd votes... something he should maybe think about). Not to mention the fact that Disney's economic well-being is tied into assets far out-ranging their theme parks, copyrights and filmmaking.

So while these dingbats are so focused on hurting Disney's financial well-being, they should make sure they stop watching ESPN and cancel any cable/streaming services they have...

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

These hot takes coming out about how Disney should be punished are so cataclysmically moronic. Disney employs approx. 80,000 Floridians (which, interestingly enough, DeSantis only won Florida by roughly 30,000 some odd votes... something he should maybe think about). Not to mention the fact that Disney's economic well-being is tied into assets far out-ranging their theme parks, copyrights and filmmaking.

So while these dingbats are so focused on hurting Disney's financial well-being, they should make sure they stop watching ESPN and cancel any cable/streaming services they have...

The only thing Disney should really worry about is the freaking crocks that eat kids. 

• Oh Yeah! 1