Northwestern Week Pressers

Mavric

8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm actually pretty exciting to see a half from Farmer, Pola-Gates, Newsome, and/or whoever else fills in. I like Deontai and CTB, but Northwestern is probably the one team on our schedule where I'm not really concerned with who we're playing at DB. It's a relatively low risk opportunity for meaningful reps.

I'm really interested to see how they play.  But, after the OSU game, I'm not going to say that I'm not concerned about who is playin at DB.  Now, don't get me wrong, I expect them to look a lot better against NW than they did against OSU....but, I still wish we had Williams and CTB out there.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Gorillahawk said:

I guess one upside is we've had a little longer to prepare for Northwestern then they've had to prepare for us!

I'm guessing prep for NW can be done in a day or two.  They aren't exactly running a diverse offense.  I do agree though that them having less time to prepare for us is a benefit.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm really interested to see how they play.  But, after the OSU game, I'm not going to say that I'm not concerned about who is playin at DB.  Now, don't get me wrong, I expect them to look a lot better against NW than they did against OSU....but, I still wish we had Williams and CTB out there.

I'll look like a complete idiot when one of their receivers goes off for 100 yards and a couple of TDs, but this is easily the worst group of receivers we'll face. I would argue that was going to be true even when SDSU and Central Michigan were on our schedule. Ramsey makes them serviceable, but IMO their only path to offense is running the ball. Which they may do against us, but moving the ball on Maryland needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I'd rather Williams and CTB were available too, I just wish the staff played young guys more anyway and this is the exact place I'd try and do it. We'll see how they hold up!

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm actually pretty exciting to see a half from Farmer, Pola-Gates, Newsome, and/or whoever else fills in. I like Deontai and CTB, but Northwestern is probably the one team on our schedule where I'm not really concerned with who we're playing at DB. It's a relatively low risk opportunity for meaningful reps.

Watching the Iowa game...Ramsey makes those WRs better than they are. Then again, Iowa may be in the throes of it's own self-inflicted dumpster fire hell, so it may not have been a good test. 

As long as our DBs and Safety are disciplined and Chin quits spotting offenses 30 yards on pass coverage (hyperbole, folks) we can lock NW down and focus on stopping their run.  

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ya... can't say as there's much difference between being 12 yards from the WR when he catches it and being 10 yards from the WR when he catches it.