Biden's America

16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What do you bring me into this for?  What have I said that gives me the “ continuing to evolve” comment.  You calling me out for something specific or just throwing s#!t on the wall to feel better. 

Relax brah, I was giving a compliment. I agree that we should call out homophobia (as well as racism, transphobia, xenophobia, and other such nonsense). You had previously defended Rand Paul's homophobic stance on gay marriage and had also pasted multiple transphobic tweets from far-right blowhards (notice I didn't call you transphobic). What I meant by you evolving is that you have quickly gone from supporting homophobic and transphobic public figures to now being willing to point out a post from another public figure that can be interpreted as homophobic. I applaud that. We should all be able to grow beyond our past mistakes. :thumbs 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

Relax brah, I was giving a compliment. I agree that we should call out homophobia (as well as racism, transphobia, xenophobia, and other such nonsense). You had previously defended Rand Paul's homophobic stance on gay marriage and had also pasted multiple transphobic tweets from far-right blowhards (notice I didn't call you transphobic). What I meant by you evolving is that you have quickly gone from supporting homophobic and transphobic public figures to now being willing to point out a post from another public figure that can be interpreted as homophobic. I applaud that. We should all be able to grow beyond our past mistakes. :thumbs 

I never posted transphobic tweets.  You just took them that way for some stupid reason :dunno

Rand has his idea of what marriage is and supported civil unions and all standings that a traditional marriage would provide people.  He isn’t homophobic.    Beyond that you are almost on point. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The push for a minimum wage increase in the middle of a pandemic seems like it could end badly for businesses already barely holding on, or am I missing something with how it'd be rolled out?

I agree with you depending on how it's rolled out. There was a study a few years back that looked at 134 times minimum wage was increased (local, state, and federal) and the only time it hurt the economy was when Seattle raised it by a big chunk all at once. Even Seattle's economy did well long-term though. So a minimum wage increase needs to be gradual IMO.

20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I never posted transphobic tweets.  You just took them that way for some stupid reason :dunno

Rand has his idea of what marriage is and supported civil unions and all standings that a traditional marriage would provide people.  He isn’t homophobic.    Beyond that you are almost on point. 

Wait, so you are not offended when Ben Shaprio attacks transgender folks or that someone who writes a book called "The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters" deliberately misinterprets an executive order for the purposes of fear-mongering, and you also defend Rand Paul's view that it is okay to deny  equal rights to gay couples...but yet you are offended when Jen Psaki calls Lindsey Graham "Lady G"? Is that all correct?

I was mistaken. You have not evolved. You are simply a hypocrite.  

So tell me, what point were you making in posting that article about Jen Psaki?

• Plus1 3

22 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I agree with you depending on how it's rolled out. There was a study a few years back that looked at 134 times minimum wage was increased (local, state, and federal) and the only time it hurt the economy was when Seattle raised it by a big chunk all at once. Even Seattle's economy did well long-term though. So a minimum wage increase needs to be gradual IMO.

I wonder how many people actually make minimum wage? I start guys at $13/hr currently, and I remember seeing somewhere locally (a local Chamber FB page maybe) that McDonald's starting people at $9+/hr. I'm sure there are people making it, but I'd like to know how many.

11 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I wonder how many people actually make minimum wage? I start guys at $13/hr currently, and I remember seeing somewhere locally (a local Chamber FB page maybe) that McDonald's starting people at $9+/hr. I'm sure there are people making it, but I'd like to know how many.

I'm not sure how many actually make minimum wage, but $15/hr is higher than both of your examples.

10 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

This source says 1.6 million people make at or below the federal minimum wage. I think the data they're using is from a few years ago but didn't look too deeply.

But, I would have to think there are a lot of people making slightly above that too, which should probably be considered in the discussions as well. Making the minimum wage or minimum wage plus 25 cents really isn't that big of a difference.

17 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not sure how many actually make minimum wage, but $15/hr is higher than both of your examples.

I'll pay it, and will probably have to go a little higher to keep the people I want, but like every other business, I'll just raise prices to cover it on my end. 

Another option is letting go of a few guys, and having the rest of the crew work more hours.

11 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This source says 1.6 million people make at or below the federal minimum wage. I think the data they're using is from a few years ago but didn't look too deeply.

But, I would have to think there are a lot of people making slightly above that too, which should probably be considered in the discussions as well. Making the minimum wage or minimum wage plus 25 cents really isn't that big of a difference.

Does that include waiters/waitresses?

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'll pay it, and will probably have to go a little higher to keep the people I want, but like every other business, I'll just raise prices to cover it on my end. 

Hey since you own a business, I’m curious as your plans for those people that make over $15.00 an hour.  Will those people be getting the same percentage raise as someone going from $9 to $15?  If not, so you foresee those employees being upset that their dollar value has been decreased in proportion?  

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Hey since you own a business, I’m curious as your plans for those people that make over $15.00 an hour.  Will those people be getting the same percentage raise as someone going from $9 to $15?  If not, so you foresee those employees being upset that their dollar value has been decreased in proportion?  

I start at $13/hr, but most are already over $15.... I'll definitely have to give them a bump, so they're safely above the new minimum wage, but I haven't decided on a wage yet, but Im thinking my starting wage will have to be in the $16.50-$17.50 range. But like I said, the clients will pay for it.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Does that include waiters/waitresses?

I'm going to guess no but only because I did a quick Google search and it claimed there were 2.5 million servers in the U.S.

15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Shouldn’t we also be questioning why someone over the age of 25 is working a minimum wage job in the first place?  And then what we as a society or them as individuals can do to help those people find or get qualified for better jobs 

Absolutely.

But, I think the true issues with the minimum wage go beyond just the wage itself. Costs of living have far exceeded the capacities the current minimum wage can handle. Making a minimum wage 30 years ago doesn't mean anything like it means today. And although I'm very much in favor of people learning a skill, a trade, or just educating themselves to make more money, there's always going to be a need for those willing to do those min. wage jobs, and I think the current min. wage needs fixing. I'm not sold on $15/hour, but $7.25 is no bueno.

• Plus1 2