Biden's America

2 hours ago, GSG said:

Sorry, that's my mistake. I have that "person" on ignore 

Portnoy actually makes sense now lol 

No worries. I do not know how to block or what that does to the feed, but I bet that could be confusing.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

That anecdote does nothing to address the claims of “Biden isn’t being a uniter”. It’s just another check in the con column being pushed by Rs.

For what it’s worth, I am no fan of Biden’s either. But he is certainly the lesser of evils compared to the leading voices in the GOP.

Lesser of evils is usually how I vote. :D...maybe always...or I just punt and pick a third party. 

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If Biden was supposed to unite by doing everything conservatives wanted him to do, that was never going to happen. 

If Biden had done everything conservatives wanted him to do, they would have found fresh reasons to hate him.

Maybe we should take this over to the Divisiveness Thread.

The rhetoric doesn't help. I get that his soul of America speech was meant to push fence sitters and independents his way. It was a political push. It will be interesting to see if it works. I remember that Trump, Bush, Obama and Clinton were all hated and attacked by the opposition. It's just the way things are, I guess. Although....I am not sure I remember supporters getting pulled in...except for Trump.

Seriously. Let's have a legit national discussion about the cost of higher education. There actually is a sea change going on. The stigmas against trade schools and community colleges are falling, and the "value" of expensive four year universities are being openly questioned by folks of all political persuasions. You don't need anecdotal observations to know college costs are vastly greater than they've been for previous generations, and college loans have taken on a predatory nature they didn't have before. Student loan forgiveness may piss some people off, but at the very least we can take it as a flash point to start figuring out better alternatives. 

This is well said. Although I would like an alternative to loan forgiveness. Thoughts on what to do? I am having a cautious conversation with my senior about his chosen path. Lots of educational costs with minimal payback, but I do not want to squelch dreams either.

58 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

But... I'm betting you didn't help them at all, and they did it all themselves and pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. I bet that you didn't provide them a vehicle, fuel, car insurance, health insurance, or have them on your phone plan. I bet that you didn't pay for any of their lodging or food needs, and that they never once asked you for money to help make ends meet. You also NEVER used any of your connections to help them get a decent summer job or part time job during school. Its against your creed that everyone should make it on their own. - I am also certain that after college, you will not provide any down payment assistance for a house or a security deposit on an apartment or help them with medical bills or a place to stay as they transition to "the real world."

1). We don’t have bootstraps

2). They paid half car payment and all gas while in HS and daughter paid all car payment and all gas in college.  Son bought a 2021 Challenger himself in college with own money he earned and pays all the gas and insurance.  
3) they are on the phone plan till out of college.  Why that matters I’m not sure.  
4). Paid my mortgage and grocery bills yes.   Is that really different than other parents with kids under 18?  
5).  No I never used connections for them to get any job they have had. 
6). Daughter just moved to NYC and no she didn’t get help with first months rent or the deposit.   it’s amazing how that works.   
7). If she needed help with medical bills of course I would help.  What parent wouldn’t if they had the means.   Silly question.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

And I am sure that the sorority and frat life is fully encompasses the experience of every college student in the nation and the everyone can afford that way of life. The kids in those frats that you've come to know so well all come from impoverished or lower middleclass families and magically afford that lifestyle, and that all of their parents that you've meet come from a socio-economic status the same or higher than yours. 

Kids and parents at the Greek houses came from all walks of economic status and many backgrounds, though majority were from in-state or surrounding states.   

• Plus1 1

Seriously. Let's have a legit national discussion about the cost of higher education. There actually is a sea change going on. The stigmas against trade schools and community colleges are falling, and the "value" of expensive four year universities are being openly questioned by folks of all political persuasions. You don't need anecdotal observations to know college costs are vastly greater than they've been for previous generations, and college loans have taken on a predatory nature they didn't have before. Student loan forgiveness may piss some people off, but at the very least we can take it as a flash point to start figuring out better alternatives. 

Is the bolded actually true?  Someone earlier in this thread stated it would roughly cost $33,000.00 to attend and graduate from UNL.  I started UNL roughly three decades ago.  One of my college roommate's dad bought him a brand new Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab fully loaded pickup in 94'.  It cost roughly $6,000.00 more than what it cost me to attend and graduate UNL.  Dinsdale Chevrolet in Grand Island has a comparable pickup listed for sale at roughly $50,000.00.  It doesn't really seem to me that college costs are vastly greater than they've been for previous generations.   

• Haha 1

The availability of scholarships in the last 10 years has SIGNIFICANTLY increased due to the recognition that student loans are an issue. Go do some actual research and see what was available 15-30 years ago, which is when these loans being forgiven were originated. - You won't. Because in doing so you'd prove yourself wrong. 

I went to college from 1994-1999 which is in that 15-30 years ago timeframe.   I’m well aware of how things were.   Good thing you believe I won’t remember what it was like “back in the day”:blink:

• Plus1 1

Again- what are the ages of those "teachers and coaches and cops that are so pissed about the debt plan?" I guarantee they graduated prior to 2000, because I don't know a SINGLE public worker who is not barely getting by, paycheck to paycheck, younger than 40, unless they have a spouse that is in a much higher paying role outside the public sector. 

As Tommy Boy would say, I wouldn’t put much stock into your guarantee.   I’m not sure if you know, but teachers that have graduated the past few years do teach in schools currently.   And they do get to know parents of their students that want to be involved 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

My primary disagreement in your post I originally responded to was your make believe magic school payoff plan. Made me laugh out loud, literally. 

When you be proving data that shows any of my numbers were off?   Been waiting awhile now and more than just myself has asked.   

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Kids and parents at the Greek houses came from all walks of economic status and many backgrounds, though majority were from in-state or surrounding states.   

When I attended UNL, I lived in a frat. the first semester and in the dorms the second semester as the frat. life just wasn't for me.  Unless things have changed, it was more expensive to live in the dorms than in a frat.  Unless things have changed, freshmen were required to live in one or the other unless they lived at home or with a guardian.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, junior4949 said:

When I attended UNL, I lived in a frat. the first semester and in the dorms the second semester as the frat. life just wasn't for me.  Unless things have changed, it was more expensive to live in the dorms than in a frat.  Unless things have changed, freshmen were required to live in one or the other unless they lived at home or with a guardian.  

True, frat house is cheaper, and living off campus is even cheaper than frat house.   And yes on the live in requirements at the school my kids go to/have gone to. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Is the bolded actually true?  Someone earlier in this thread stated it would roughly cost $33,000.00 to attend and graduate from UNL.  I started UNL roughly three decades ago.  One of my college roommate's dad bought him a brand new Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab fully loaded pickup in 94'.  It cost roughly $6,000.00 more than what it cost me to attend and graduate UNL.  Dinsdale Chevrolet in Grand Island has a comparable pickup listed for sale at roughly $50,000.00.  It doesn't really seem to me that college costs are vastly greater than they've been for previous generations.   

$33k total to graduate at UNL. Not even close. My daughter just graduated there 1.5 years ago and it was more than that per year. Luckily it only took her 2.5 years.

• Plus1 1