Biden's America

On 8/29/2022 at 5:38 PM, Archy1221 said:

The travel vaccine mandate is stupid as is the Press Secretary.  She doesn’t even understand how people cross the southern border.  LOL

https://www.mediaite.com/news/peter-doocy-challenges-karine-jean-pierre-on-claiming-illegal-immigrants-dont-just-walk-over-border-thats-exactly-whats-happening/

Where's the whole clip? Why does Doocy keep cutting her off. Why don't they mention her reference at the end of her response to Title 42, and only focus on a sentence fragment that was virtually meaningless in the full context of the conversation? You don't think they're being dishonest do you?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Where's the whole clip? Why does Doocy keep cutting her off. Why don't they mention her reference at the end of her response to Title 42, and only focus on a sentence fragment that was virtually meaningless in the full context of the conversation? You don't think they're being dishonest do you?

I think the press briefings are all taped so you can find it if you want.

To get her to answer the question probably. 
Meaningless to who? You? 
The Biden admin?  Sure they are being dishonest.  That’s common knowledge.  

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

On 8/29/2022 at 8:41 AM, Archy1221 said:

1). Personal Finance class in HS should be mandatory.

2). It is reasonable to take out a certain amount of debt when needed if your chosen degree will lead to income sufficient enough to live and pay off said debt within the 10 yr repayment schedule.  
3). Community college and a state school will in many cases keep the cost relatively low compared to what most people end up paying.

4) student loan reform should include an income calculator and learning module for chosen fields of study so a student has a good idea of what income will be and what payments will be.  Loan should not be given until the learning module is complete and attested to.  
5) pay your debts, but allow student loan debt to be a part of the bankruptcy process if needed.  

1) Personal Finance class in HS has become mandatory in many (most?) states. I can't speak for everyone, but it became mandatory in SD around 2007. I assure you it had just as much impact as my Algebra, Art, English, History, etc. courses (and I do even work in banking, with the general public, and have received a certification in financial counseling).

2) I agree that from the student's point of view that you should consider what your income could be, weighed against your debt. Don't bury yourself to go into musical theatre. People in highly employable degree programs don't always turn out well though. A friend of mine from business school is still working the floor at Hy-Vee a whole 8 years after we graduated.

3) I already told my story about going to a state school that specifically advertises itself as being notoriously affordable. It's not very affordable at all. It costs about $1,400 for a 3 credit course at USD. You need 128 credits to graduate, if you don't wind up with any extra credits, totaling about $60k. We haven't even touched living expenses or books yet. I just looked at in-state tuition for UNL and it would be about $85k just for the classes. That's insane!

4) This is what high school guidance counselors try to do, and they have been trying to do it forever. You are counting on teenagers who live with their parents to make adult decisions. They aren't adults. Quit acting like they are.

5) I think I agree that student loan debt should be allowed in bankruptcy, because it is the most socially forgivable kind of debt, but I mostly disagree with the idea of going into crippling debt just to go to school in the first place. I work in consumer lending and have interviewed thousands of people regarding their credit. Student loan (and medical) debts are generally overlooked. It does hurt your credit score to neglect them, but any human reviewing a credit report should be able to look past them. Dodging your student loans is much different than dodging your car loan, credit cards, or child support.

The two fields I've worked in since graduation have been higher education administration and consumer finance. I've seen all of this from both ends. The cost of education is way too high, we are pushing our children to take on unfathomable amounts of debt (they've never had a bill in their life! They are children, who the hell knows what they are going to do with their life at that age?), and the penalties for failing in this system are quite damning. Without a degree you can't hope for anything above retail, and generally a retail job won't pay for your tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt.

In a nutshell, higher education is basically a large gamble. Will you finish? Will you pick a field you enjoy once you become an adult? Will it ever pay the loans you took out? It is f#&%ing insane that we accept that bettering yourself through higher education is a gamble. Make tuition cheap like it was before the 90s and we won't have a problem anymore.

• Fire 1
7 hours ago, mrandyk said:

1) Personal Finance class in HS has become mandatory in many (most?) states. I can't speak for everyone, but it became mandatory in SD around 2007. I assure you it had just as much impact as my Algebra, Art, English, History, etc. courses (and I do even work in banking, with the general public, and have received a certification in financial counseling).

2) I agree that from the student's point of view that you should consider what your income could be, weighed against your debt. Don't bury yourself to go into musical theatre. People in highly employable degree programs don't always turn out well though. A friend of mine from business school is still working the floor at Hy-Vee a whole 8 years after we graduated.

3) I already told my story about going to a state school that specifically advertises itself as being notoriously affordable. It's not very affordable at all. It costs about $1,400 for a 3 credit course at USD. You need 128 credits to graduate, if you don't wind up with any extra credits, totaling about $60k. We haven't even touched living expenses or books yet. I just looked at in-state tuition for UNL and it would be about $85k just for the classes. That's insane!

4) This is what high school guidance counselors try to do, and they have been trying to do it forever. You are counting on teenagers who live with their parents to make adult decisions. They aren't adults. Quit acting like they are.

5) I think I agree that student loan debt should be allowed in bankruptcy, because it is the most socially forgivable kind of debt, but I mostly disagree with the idea of going into crippling debt just to go to school in the first place. I work in consumer lending and have interviewed thousands of people regarding their credit. Student loan (and medical) debts are generally overlooked. It does hurt your credit score to neglect them, but any human reviewing a credit report should be able to look past them. Dodging your student loans is much different than dodging your car loan, credit cards, or child support.

The two fields I've worked in since graduation have been higher education administration and consumer finance. I've seen all of this from both ends. The cost of education is way too high, we are pushing our children to take on unfathomable amounts of debt (they've never had a bill in their life! They are children, who the hell knows what they are going to do with their life at that age?), and the penalties for failing in this system are quite damning. Without a degree you can't hope for anything above retail, and generally a retail job won't pay for your tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt.

In a nutshell, higher education is basically a large gamble. Will you finish? Will you pick a field you enjoy once you become an adult? Will it ever pay the loans you took out? It is f#&%ing insane that we accept that bettering yourself through higher education is a gamble. Make tuition cheap like it was before the 90s and we won't have a problem anymore.

I agree with your general premise. But, UNL is $259 per credit hour. So, 130 credits would be $33,670. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, mrandyk said:

So everyone has already agreed with you that college is too expensive (which has nothing to do with forgiving student debt) 

Though, Here is alternative view to the story you paint.  Maximum amount for living and school (remember a person will pay for living regardless of going to school or not so take that portion with a grain of salt) $18,800 per year of which $8,800 is money to live on for the year.  $15 an hour X 20 hrs per week X 40 weeks a year = $11,000 a year after taxes.  

Here are the scholarship opportunities at USD, so if someone is paying full freight, that’s on them for not trying too hard….

https://www.usd.edu/Admissions-and-Aid/Financial-Aid/Types-of-Aid/Scholarships

Absolute maximum student debt is $40k which is a lot and will take 3-5 years to pay down.   Now take into account scholarship opportunities that don’t take much effort to get combined with getting college credit in HS or tech/community college credits and one quickly gets down to the $20-25$ range of debt for a degree.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, mrandyk said:

A friend of mine from business school is still working the floor at Hy-Vee a whole 8 years after we graduated

Your friend is likely very unmotivated.   You trying to tell us that in todays age of extremely low unemployment, he  or she can’t find a better job then cashier at hy-vee with a business degree. :blink: 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Your friend is likely very unmotivated.   You trying to tell us that in todays age of extremely low unemployment, he  or she can’t find a better job then cashier at hy-vee with a business degree. :blink: 

I roll my eyes at stories like this too.  There are companies all over the place begging for employees in better jobs than cashier at Hy-vee.  And...a college graduate can't find one?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

So everyone has already agreed with you that college is too expensive (which has nothing to do with forgiving student debt) 

Though, Here is alternative view to the story you paint.  Maximum amount for living and school (remember a person will pay for living regardless of going to school or not so take that portion with a grain of salt) $18,800 per year of which $8,800 is money to live on for the year.  $15 an hour X 20 hrs per week X 40 weeks a year = $11,000 a year after taxes.  

Here are the scholarship opportunities at USD, so if someone is paying full freight, that’s on them for not trying too hard….

https://www.usd.edu/Admissions-and-Aid/Financial-Aid/Types-of-Aid/Scholarships

Absolute maximum student debt is $40k which is a lot and will take 3-5 years to pay down.   Now take into account scholarship opportunities that don’t take much effort to get combined with getting college credit in HS or tech/community college credits and one quickly gets down to the $20-25$ range of debt for a degree.  

In other news, catch Fantsay Island on FOX where you can learn more about this made up dreamland. Every night 6-9 Eastern.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

The cashier gig Probably pays more than entry level in their career of choice. Walmart pays more than starting salary of a medical transcriptionist. Hobby Lobby pays more than entry level marketing/ communication gigs, or entry level admin work. You're given the choice now of getting paid a bit more to keep your head above water at a crap job and pay bills or sacrificing your credit in hopes of building a career. 

I know people going bankrupt as cops, teachers, and nurses with roomates and no families. You clearly have no concept of reality. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
22 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

In other news, catch Fantsay Island on FOX where you can learn more about this made up dreamland. Every night 6-9 Eastern.

I'm really interested in your information to refute his post.  @mrandyk said that the school he went to cost $466 per credit hour.  UNL is at $259 and they are more expensive than other state schools in Nebraska.  

I just had three kids graduate out of the UNL and state school systems in Nebraska.  None of them had major debt coming out of undergrad.  All of them had jobs to help pay for school.  All of them lived in places that weren't as expensive as they could have had, with roommates.  Even if you take what we helped them with, their debt wouldn't be as much as what I hear claimed by other people.