Biden's America

Anyone know how I can protest the unfairness that some of my tax money goes to farmers?

It's not my fault they chose a profession that can't make money and needs the government to bail them out constantly, don't punish. me for being smart enough to not be a farmer.

• Plus1 4
47 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm always amused when people from rural states advocate for things like this. The elite that have more money and the cities that have more people will get the the vast majority of the spending. And most things that are for the common good will go underfunded like the IRS, national parks, or public education.

Yeah, I could not imagine a USA where public ed was underfunded and the IRS was underfunded.  

2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Anyone know how I can protest the unfairness that some of my tax money goes to farmers?

It's not my fault they chose a profession that can't make money and needs the government to bail them out constantly, don't punish. me for being smart enough to not be a farmer.

Oh my god, don't get me started!

Getting paid by the government TO NOT FARM?  No...done.

I taught with a guy who went back to farming and would always give him a hard time about that.

He was not amused!  Ha

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

You could probably just hold a sign on a street corner I would guess.   Or loot a Nike store.   That seems to work for some folks who protest.  

• Plus1 1

For the record, I am pro subsidizing farmers, pro child tax credits, pro student loan forgiveness, and pro lots of other 'unfair' tax expenditures that help primarily vulnerable, stuck, or important citizens.

And let's not act like the argument that it's actually punishing people who made smarter choices is anything other than total horses#!t. The super-duper smartypants who avoided the pitfall of student loan debt are still paying their taxes no matter what - if it didn't go to loan forgiveness it would go to the military or farming or clean energy or roads or education or something else. The money is already there, it's not "ope now that we made this decision all you citizens need to give us more money to give to these other citizens". There's no punishment; there's only a smarter way of allocating already existing resources that ultimately helps all of us.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You are SOOOO right there. I don't know where these parents got their advice.  But, I remember being advised multiple times while our kids were growing up that parents should not take out debt to pay for kid's college education.  It's a horrible choice to make.  You then put your own retirement at risk.

Somewhere, recently I read a story about a woman who came out of school with I think 50,000 to 60,000.  She got a job and has been working ever since.  She has paid payments the entire time and is now around 40 years old.  She still has something like 42,000 in debt.  Interest payments have just taken almost all of what she has paid.  If I remember right, she had made payments equal to what the original debt was, but, very little was paid off.

Something I think I could get behind is, don't cancel the debt.  But, make all federal student loans interest free.  The student would pay back what they borrowed.  But, they wouldn't be compounding the problem by having to pay back a bunch of interest.  The government doesn't need to be making money off of the interest payments on these loans.

I think this is a good idea, as long as it keeps affecting credit reports the same way when they're late. There has to be some motivation for people to pay it off.