Trump's Post Election Fallout: Legal & Obstruction actions

Pence is distancing himself from this train wreck,   - slowly stepping way to save his political future by cutting

some of the strings.   But he won't be able to distance himself far enough to remove all of the stains that

Trump has thrown on him.

giphy.gif

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mike-pence-backs-away-from-the-trump-election-fraud-train-wreck?ref=scroll

• Plus1 3

@TGHusker it might be his only chance, but, if he has been complicit in indictable offenses, he probably can't 100% throw Trump under the bus, or Trump will out Pence's involvement at the first opportunity.

I personally am not convinced that Pence is actively complicit, but most definitely is/has been aware of the transgressions of his boss. 

• Plus1 2

What is going on wt the quote button today??  I can't quote anyone:angry:   anyway @DevoHusker  I agree.  I think Pence has tried to stay out of the way of being complicit in Trump's actions but that does not mean he isn't in the know.  My guess is that if he were to be asked to testify under oath, he'd have to emerge from that bush he was hiding in to save his own skin.     If Pence has any presidential aspirations, he can't throw trump under the bus as he'd also be throwing a lot of trump supporters that he would need under that same bus.  He has a very narrow path he can walk on.   But he is not only stained by Trump but also by the poor Trump response to Covid.  Trump made Pence the head of the Covid Task Force and by implication he is tied to Trump's public statements.  Pence could have been leading the task force with great diligence and care, but that is of no value when Trump speaks foolishness.

• Plus1 1

Another thought on Pence -   going back to the Road Not Taken (Robert Frost poem ) moment that Pence faced.  The moment:  Access Hollywood tapes come out just after Trump's nomination.  Pence had a choice - take the higher ethical road and step down as VP candidate.  This would have doomed the Trump presidency and saved our nation of this nightmare.  The GOP could have removed their nomination of Trump and put forward Kasich (who would have beaten Hillary) or Cruz (toss up wt Hillary).  OR Pence could chose to stay on the ticket - which would give him the route to political power but also the risk of political disgrace being tied to Trump.  

Long term, I think Pence took the wrong road.  He took the road of power over the road of ethics.  At that particular moment, the destiny of America was literally in his decision.  He chose wrongly in my opinion.  Whatever the GOP promised him if he stayed on the ticket, it wasn't worth it. At that point, Pence's reputation is what saved Trump, put his decision would not save his reputation or the nation from what would follow.  If Pence had taken the road less traveled, the road away from power, he could have set himself up nicely for 2024 as a man of character, a man above the fray.  He could run for the Senate or done something else to keep in the public eye.  Because Pence failed at that most crucial decision, I can not ever see myself voting for him as he placed expediency above honor, self above sacrifice, party above nation, and power above humility.     The other former GOP Indiana Governor, Mitch Daniels would be a far better candidate for higher office. 

• Thanks 1