A Spartan fan's impression of your head coach

Duffy

Hi all, I come in peace. I've always admired Nebraska football and your success. You are a great program with world-class fans. I mean that. 

I was watching the Iowa game here in Chicago with my Spartan family and then decided to watch both post-game coach pressers. Now, we could all be wrong, but we all sensed that your coach seems to be shirking responsibility a bit. Just in his mannerisms and choice of words. Almost like a passive-aggressive approach to team leadership. Are we off base here? The clapping comments seemed odd and trivial. Almost as if Frost is trying to focus on non sequiturs to distract from the team's lack of discipline. I think he also said that no one ever needed to pump him up as a player, implying his players need their hands held. idk, am I mistinterpreting Frost? Your thoughts?  I still think he can be an elite coach at Nebraska, but I'm just a little miffed by his tactics. He still seems like a really solid hire and man. 

I write all this in good faith because I like when Nebraska is strong. It's good for the conference brand and helps balance the divisions more. 

Go Green! 

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Duffy said:

Hi all, I come in peace. I've always admired Nebraska football and your success. You are a great program with world-class fans. I mean that. 

I was watching the Iowa game here in Chicago with my Spartan family and then decided to watch both post-game coach pressers. Now, we could all be wrong, but we all sensed that your coach seems to be shirking responsibility a bit. Just in his mannerisms and choice of words. Almost like a passive-aggressive approach to team leadership. Are we off base here? The clapping comments seemed odd and trivial. Almost as if Frost is trying to focus on non sequiturs to distract from the team's lack of discipline. I think he also said that no one ever needed to pump him up as a player, implying his players need their hands held. idk, am I mistinterpreting Frost? Your thoughts?  I still think he can be an elite coach at Nebraska, but I'm just a little miffed by his tactics. He still seems like a really solid hire and man. 

I write all this in good faith because I like when Nebraska is strong. It's good for the conference brand and helps balance the divisions more. 

Go Green! 

Your take and analysis are spot on! 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Duffy said:

Go Green! 

giphy.gif

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

To give some perspective, I was not terribly impressed with Dantonio's press conference demeanor at the beginning of his tenure at MSU. His spats with Michigan seemed petty at the time, bordering on insecurity. The comments he made about Mike Hart still make me cringe. But he seemed more mature in his fourth or so year, and it turned into Big Ten championships. 

Long story short: I think body language and word choices are huge in press conferences, and I'm just wondering if Nebraska fans like what they see so far from SF. 

Ultimately the HC is responsible for the players attitudes, readiness,  & motivation.  We didn't like it when Bo was throwing players under the bus during his press conferences.  We shouldn't care for it when Frost does the same.  Frost needs to pull a Truman and state that the buck stops with him.. period.  I think he will eventually get it right.  Start winning and we won't have to worry about "Bo like" press conferences.  Right now, I'd just like to see Bo's record repeated - 9 wins seems like a dream.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

It does feel baity in here but I'd rather not do work so I'll give it a spin.

In some ways, Frost thinks and says things like a lifelong fan or former player but not expected to be spoken by a typical head coach. He's a little too honest with some of his takes which has become rare for coaches and it sets him up to be criticized. Because the media struggles to sell honesty, they don't know how to react as shown by Michael Wilbon & Desmond Howard. His August press conference the day before the Big Ten canceled the season is an example where the national pundits took his 'we want to play no matter what or who' talk into we're bigger than the Big Ten or that we're better off going elsewhere. That sentiment was not expressed, just that they wanted to play. It's plain speaking and the media struggles with those types of people. 

Coaches get mischaracterized when their programs are losing and quotes get spun as excuses, whining, etc. It doesn't happen very often when the programs are winning or it's chalked up to championship expectations/standards. Saban at Bama and Dabo at Clemson are notorious complainers but since they win a lot, they're rarely criticized to the same extent. Frost is the best man for the job and we'll be just fine. 

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Duffy said:

Can someone explain 'baity' to me? What would be my endgame there? I was simply giving an outsider's opinion and curious if insiders felt the same. 

It's a discussion board. 

Like any sports message board we get our share of opponent trolls, so some people get their guard up by reflex. 

I feel like announcing  you're from another team's fan base and being honest but not jerky about your opinion of Frost you're not a candidate for the kinds of troll people are looking out for, though.

Plus I think some people just like that gif. It was a good movie. 

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Like any sports message board we get our share of opponent trolls, so some people get their guard up by reflex. 

I feel like announcing  you're from another team's fan base and being honest but not jerky about your opinion of Frost you're not a candidate for the kinds of troll people are looking out for, though.

Plus I think some people just like that gif. It was a good movie. 

Yea dude, I have no agenda here. I'm a grown a$$ man. 

I hear you. I don't think you're trolling. I just think it's going to be a touchy subject calling out Frost on a Nebraska message board.

BUT, I think you're going to find a lot more people here agree with you than maybe you initially guessed. Stick around. 

Frosts comments about the clapping are in defense of our center, nothing more.  He really believes in the kid and is trying to defend his shortcomings.  Our fan base is getting tired of the bad snaps, and I think Scott is losing his patience a bit as well, so he is trying, ineffectively at this point, to run interference.  

Regarding Scott's demeanor, I agree with the take above.  Scott is a brutally honest guy with most of his comments.  Some love that, some hate it.  The media preys on it because they want the next hot sound bite so their site gets the extra clicks from fans that don't actually watch and know what was said or in what context.  I personally like his honesty and typically agree with his takes.   

• Plus1 3

Well we don't really know that, do we? I agree you seem genuine, but 1) it's the internet, so who knows who you are, and 2) usually fans of other teams expressing opinions are just looking to provoke some reactions. There are a few exceptions from other fanbases that post periodically (although those Minnesota guys seem to have disappeared), so I hope you stick around. 

I think Frost was as pissed about this loss and the previous one as any in his tenure, and that led to some of the comments being even more direct than usual. He's spent plenty of time saying "and that all comes back to us on the coaching staff" in the past, I'm not personally concerned that he didn't acknowledge that as much this week.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Duffy said:

Now, we could all be wrong, but we all sensed that your coach seems to be shirking responsibility a bit.

I think a large chunk of the fan base is sick of excuses. But Frost isn’t the best speaker and sometimes comes across poorly, especially if it’s the first time you watched him speak post game. He’s getting increasingly irritated he hasn’t fixed it, and it shows in his pressers. Privately I think he knows the poor play the last 3 years has been on his shoulders. Not refs, or Mike Riley, or opposing coaches. 

• Plus1 1