What is the future of the Republican Party?

4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:
Serious question. What about that is "far right". Libertarian maybe, but "far right"?

Well she is a Republican and was Secretary of Education in the Trump Administration. Not much of a stretch to call her far right :dunno

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

Just now, JJ Husker said:

Well she is a Republican and was Secretary of Education in the Trump Administration. Not much of a stretch to call her far right :dunno

Not sure why my quote was in the tweet....

I understand your point on her specifically but regarding turning education back to the State level? There is a lot of "far left" examples recently...I don't particularly want my grade school age grandkids being taught that "men" can get pregnant or a former man can be NCAA woman of the year...(swimmer Lia Thomas)

13 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I understand your point on her specifically but regarding turning education back to the State level? There is a lot of "far left" examples recently...I don't particularly want my grade school age grandkids being taught that "men" can get pregnant or a former man can be NCAA woman of the year...(swimmer Lia Thomas)

What the actual f#&% do people think we tell their kids?!?!

My god!

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

What the actual f#&% do people think we tell their kids?!?!

My god!

There are lots of examples. And I didn't specifically say Nebraska schools, where I am sure you are a great educator.

I am also not talking about being okay with either of those beliefs...because I personally am...I believe in live and let live. I just don't think it should be presented in school to less than secondary age. And small percentage exceptions are not the norm.

3 minutes ago, commando said:

the far right disinformation machine is reaching many

What’s annoying is many of these folks scream that “shop” And other classes like it need to be brought back. A HUGEchunk of our funding comes from a federal Perkins fund.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

There are lots of examples. And I didn't specifically say Nebraska schools, where I am sure you are a great educator.

I am also not talking about being okay with either of those beliefs...because I personally am...I believe in live and let live. I just don't think it should be presented in school to less than secondary age. And small percentage exceptions are not the norm.

What federal education standards force teachers to teach that in elementary school?  Or at all!

• Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, commando said:

the far right disinformation machine is reaching many

So what is disinformation and what is actual examples that the left try to pass as disinformation. I don't subscribe to conspiracy sites, and get most information from center news and social media...

Just now, funhusker said:

What federal education standards force teachers to teach that in elementary school?  Or at all!

Not force... but choose or allow

37 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I don’t disagree but I also don’t believe those things are being taught in grade school, regardless what people like Desantis say about it. I’ll worry about those things when they become actual issues. I think they are just base pandering talking points.

• Plus1 3

Dept of ED should be gone, federally funding should still be a thing but with no input from them.

My guess, 95% of teachers are pretty much like me and @funhusker, we go in, we teach the s#!t, we crack a few jokes with the kids and the day is over.

My students know. very little about my personal life and even less about things I am into or my thoughts on s#!t.

There are probably more crazy libs teachers that spout of s#!t but it really is few and far between.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Dept of ED should be gone, federally funding should still be a thing but with no input from them.

My guess, 95% of teachers are pretty much like me and @funhusker, we go in, we teach the s#!t, we crack a few jokes with the kids and the day is over.

My students know. very little about my personal life and even less about things I am into or my thoughts on s#!t.

There are probably more crazy libs teachers that spout of s#!t but it really is few and far between.

How would federal money get allocated without people working to allocate it?

Special Education is also an important part of the dept.  I wouldn’t trust our Governor to make sure all kids have equal access to education, would you?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

Opinionated teachers, from both political extremes, that speak out of turn will always exist.  Blowing up the public and standardized school system might actually make it worse.

I would defer to you on whether it would get worse at the State level. I am not in education, but dont see falling test scores and underperformed vs other "developed " nations as a ringing endorsement.

Again...not you or @teachercdspecifically 

Visit the Sports Illustrated Husker site