What is the future of the Republican Party?

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

I really don't want to vote for any one affiliated with the GOP even if it's in name only, but Mitt and Kasich would be about the only two I would. Cheney I would have to think about long and hard. She's got guts and a good head, but I'm not sure I'd like her policy.

I would not be surprised if what she is going through doesn’t change her and her staunch right voting record. She has been more than abandoned by her own party, she sees the rightward push of the party and she sees the Dems and a very limited GOP contingent doing the right thing. How can that not change a person?  Since she may get dumped by the Wy voters in the primary, she will have time to contemplate her next move. If I were her and I wanted to continue the fight I would do what Reagan  did in the mid 1970’s - write & give speeches and develop well rounded and thoughtful policies on all topics of concern to voters. She won’t have the house seat tied around her neck and she’ll be free to make her new path

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, ZRod said:

I really don't want to vote for any one affiliated with the GOP even if it's in name only, but Mitt and Kasich would be about the only two I would. Cheney I would have to think about long and hard. She's got guts and a good head, but I'm not sure I'd like her policy.

If it was any of those 3 vs tRump you would vote for them (R primary) I'm guessing ...I would

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Id vote for Kasich in the General Election.

I'd be willing to listen to Romney.  Probably wouldn't vote for Cheney.

I voted for Romney before. I wanted Kasich in 2016. I like Cheney more and more. I really think Hogan could get Natl support.

11 hours ago, funhusker said:

I could see me voting for Hogan, definitely.

I guess the Trump back candidate, Cox, defeated the Hogan backed candidate for the Maryland governor GOP primary yesterday.  Unfortunate turn of events. Hogan isn't on the ballot this cycle - I think term limited.  So next step prepare for 2024. 

• Plus1 2

On 7/17/2022 at 6:51 PM, DevoHusker said:

My taxes are high enough thank you...lol.

I really don't mean to bust anyone's chops. I am simply tired of the hyperbole

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that myriad social and economic ills can be addressed through better public education. And if you're willing, all the way back to affordable daycare. America is no longer anywhere close to exceptional in terms of education, and again without hyperbole.....it's heartbreaking. 

If you think we're saving taxpayer money by defunding our schools, we're not. So many unintended consequences. 

It blows my mind that people are still against 2 consenting adults getting married. 

I had a friend a long while back message me on FB because I had posted something supporting same-sex marriage/LGBTQ rights. She compared same-sex marriage to people marrying animals :blink: 

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, GSG said:

It blows my mind that people are still against 2 consenting adults getting married. 

I had a friend a long while back message me on FB because I had posted something supporting same-sex marriage/LGBTQ rights. She compared same-sex marriage to people marrying animals :blink: 

They want to be able to keep something from someone so they perceive that they have power or control. Religion is just the excuse they use. Christians sin all day, every day. Someone else's (alleged) sin has no bearing on their lives, and their focus should be on being right with their god. 

These are homophobes with power issues. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, GSG said:

I'm hanging onto the hope that there's too much water under that bridge to go back. Several (but far from most) Republicans in Congress voiced their intent to protect Gay Marriage yesterday. 

Once we started having a public dialogue about homosexuality in this country, people were free to acknowledge they all had a good friend, a family member, a spouse, or they themselves were gay, and it required too much work and misplaced anger to maintain the stigma.  My kids don't understand why this was ever a problem, and I have to explain that the changes in the last 20 years were actually pretty rapid.

Still, it's hard to bet against an activist minority f#&%ing things up for everybody these days. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They want to be able to keep something from someone so they perceive that they have power or control. Religion is just the excuse they use. Christians sin all day, every day. Someone else's (alleged) sin has no bearing on their lives, and their focus should be on being right with their god. 

These are homophobes with power issues. 

Pretty much.

So many religious conservatives believe that their religious mission is to make sure nobody sins in the world.  "OMG.....Gay people getting married...we need to stop that."  Like some how two women loving each other and getting married THAT THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW....somehow hurts them.

Meanwhile, the same person sins in other ways.....and they don't think anything of it.