What is the future of the Republican Party?

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

These are the smart conservatives. The Republican party no longer represents conservative values. They'd be better off as Independents or forming a new conservative party.

I'd rather the GOP lose some elections in order to make itself right if that is what it takes.   I think a lot of people feel like this couple from the article:

For some right-of-center voters, like Lyle Darrah, the violence at the Capitol was simply the final straw. They described an increasingly strained relationship with the GOP, with some citing the rise of Sarah Palin more than a decade ago as the first sign that the party was focusing on culture wars instead of fiscal conservatism.

"As my husband said, it's just become the party of mean people," said Jo Swanson, 73, a retired school psychologist in Denver. She voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 but didn't register as a Democrat until this month. She had always considered herself more socially liberal, but her anti-abortion rights beliefs had held her back.

"I really found that hard to let go," she said, adding that she will still fight for abortion restrictions.

• Plus1 3

Billboards sprout in Texas linking Ted Cruz to riot, demand he resign for fueling Trump’s election lies

A group of anti-Trump Republicans has posted billboards around Texas trying to make Sen. Ted Cruz squirm by implicating him in the deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol and demanding he resign.

Cruz repeatedly blamed President Donald Trump’s defeat on fraud, a claim he persisted in leveling even after dozens of state and federal courts threw out such allegations, and all 50 states certified the election result.

The $1 million campaign from the Republican Accountability Project also takes aim at East Texas congressman Louie Gohmert, who repeatedly suggested violence as a reasonable course of action for Trump supporters who didn’t accept the defeat.

The billboards read: “You lied about the election. The Capitol was attacked.” Below that, beside a close-up of the senator’s face, it says, “SEN. CRUZ: RESIGN” in large letters. Gohmert’s congressional district has been decorated with a half-dozen billboards that substitute his name and photo.

“They have been two of the most vocal enablers of the `stop the steal’ narrative….Their rhetoric has been very dangerous,” said Olivia Troye, a co-director of the Republican Accountability Project. The El Paso native served as a top national security aide to Vice President Mike Pence.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

They have been two of the most vocal enablers of the `stop the steal’ narrative….Their rhetoric has been very dangerous,” said Olivia Troye, a co-director of the Republican Accountability Project. The El Paso native served as a top national security aide to Vice President Mike Pence.

I find the bold pretty interesting.

And yes, Cruz and Gohmert words and actions should be highlighted and hopefully when the truth comes out, it should be evident that they and Sen Hawley should resign. 

• Plus1 1