Are we a G6 Program with P5 facilities and entitlement?

TGHusker

G6 or P5?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Got thinking about not only this season but the last several and even going back to Bo.  It seems that since our arrival in the Big 10 we have performed more like a G5 team - at times competitive but for the most part not capable of reaching the top level of the conference.  Our 1st game in the conference, we got a rude awakening by Wisc.  Our only appearance in a CCG was also a bad experience.  Our only other real highlights were beating OSU once and MSU a couple of times.. 

Are we now a Minnesota type program - a school that can boast of NCs a long time ago but incapable of regaining its former form?   We have the facilities, we have the 'sense of entitlement' (which as discussed elsewhere may be working against us) but we can't seem to put the product on the field or in the coaches office to get it done.  Frost was to be our 'savior' the match made in football heaven.  But we've seen the results and nothing we've seen thus far gives me a lot of hope for the future.

Perhaps someone out there can help me with my 'debbie downer' attitude.  

• Plus1 2

I don't know about the poll questions but we are playing G6 (low to mid level G6) level ball against P5 competition. So pretty much yeah, we are G6 with P5 facilities. If we stick with the G6 blueprint will determine the answers to the other questions. The key will be if SF doubles down on what he's doing or if he realizes a whole bunch of stuff needs to change. I wouldn't wager any money one way or the other at this point. He has shown some signs of being willing to make changes but also many instances of being stubborn and inflexible. We'll know these answers by the middle of next season.

I’ve never understood the whole entitlement thing. How can expecting the program to perform better and wanting it to more closely resemble what it was in the 90s, 80s, 70s be detrimental? These entitlement claims pertain to the fan base and the fans don’t have much to do with what’s happening in the field. The alternate to these entitlement claims surely won’t produce any improvements on the field. There are plenty of bottom dweller programs that have accepted that as their fate and I can only imagine that would make it that much tougher to become a winning program. Besides that, I don’t think it is entitlement but rather a reasonable expectation based on the facilities and expenditures. There is absolutely no reason we should be satisfied with what this program has accomplished over the past 20 years. It is so far out of whack with the money and effort expended it’s almost comical at this point.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

51 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

We have everything Bama, Clemson and Oklahoma have - minus two things. Recruiting base and coaching. One of those is never changing, the other one happens to be our biggest problem. Right now we’re a Power 5 team with a group of 5 coaching staff. 

I've been told Frost tries to do too much every single day. He needs competent P5 coaches around him. He is a fantastic offensive mind and if you watch closely his calls are often spot on and someone or 2 is running wide open etc. Frustrating as hell 

• Plus1 2

Take out Ohio State and Illinois (it was bad) and you all you need to do is score 28 points to win every game on your schedule.  24 ties or wins most of them.

we have gone up against several of the worst Defenses in the country and have been stoned.  We are 106/126 in the country in passing yards per game.  The inability to git open receivers was on full display against Minny.

The D, as rough as it seems, is light years ahead of where they were.  The offense is dared by every team to beat them with the QBs arm.  He can’t do it and I believe the staff knows it.

A reasonable grad transfer has to be on the table for next year.  I know it seems like I’m drink kool aid but I don’t think they are that far from being a .750 team.

• Haha 1

The reality is a lot of the G6 schools would beat us senseless.......The only area I have seen consistent improvement across the board has been with the defense.....and Chin is the most maligned guy on the staff.  I am not talking about scheme ie soft cushion, zone, but simply in the performance/development of players.  

If we had an O predicated on power running with PA and deep routes (think more ball control, less boom or bust) our D would be fine.......Every game we won this year was on the D.....The close ones were close because of the D....Our O, and by proxy our OC, is craptastic at best.......

If I had to "throw money" at a problem, it would be the offense first.   Get a real OC, take play calling away from Frost, Austin, Vuruzco, Lubick would be the first to go.....I'd ride the D as is (some schematic changes) for the next year or two and see what happens.  If Frost continues to call the O with his scheme as is, we are a less than .500  team next year...

As @Hedley Lamarr said above, spend that P5 money and get him a P5 staff.  The B1G is not a place that really allows for on the job training.  I think the same thing plagued Bo (I would love 9-10 win seasons again).  He had no one with a wealth/depth of experience to draw from when things when sideways.  I think when Carl left, things got worse.  He was honest with Bo and IMHO, told Bo what he needed to hear, not what he wanted to hear.

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I've been told Frost tries to do too much every single day. He needs competent P5 coaches around him. He is a fantastic offensive mind and if you watch closely his calls are often spot on and someone or 2 is running wide open etc. Frustrating as hell 

I could believe this too. I was worried copying and pasting UCF staff was a problem. That was the perfect staff for UCF and the AAC, doesn’t mean it was the perfect staff for Nebraska and the B1G. I think getting a seasoned B1G guy in a OL/OC position would be awesome. 

7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I could believe this too. I was worried copying and pasting UCF staff was a problem. That was the perfect staff for UCF and the AAC, doesn’t mean it was the perfect staff for Nebraska and the B1G. I think getting a seasoned B1G guy in a OL/OC position would be awesome. 

I want our OC to coach our QBs, find a seasoned WR and OL coach. Im actually cool with Beckton as TEs have been a pleasant surprise in their development. Defensively im not really against any of them at the moment. Chins has shown that his D improves each year. However if you could land a former HC as your DC you give Frost the guy who can be honest with him and help with the struggles to help prevent being overwhelmed. 

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I want our OC to coach our QBs, find a seasoned WR and OL coach. Im actually cool with Beckton as TEs have been a pleasant surprise in their development. Defensively im not really against any of them at the moment. Chins has shown that his D improves each year. However if you could land a former HC as your DC you give Frost the guy who can be honest with him and help with the struggles to help prevent being overwhelmed. 

I’m on board with all this. I think Chins is far from our biggest problem, but it would take a lot of stress off frost if he could start winning 28-24 games instead of needing to win 35-31 type games. 

11 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

In going over the O staff in my head, he is one that I completely forgot about.  He is quietly going about his job.  And they have been decent (in spite of the play calling).