Covid-19 Vaccinations.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would need something more than this tweet to take that seriously.

Go read the tweet thread. It's pretty thorough, although I think it's making a mountain out of a mole hill since the difference in deaths between the scenarios is within the margin of error, which is why the ethics of racial and ethnic equality makes a difference in the end. Also note that this is a recommendation and has not yet been decided.

Also from that thread:

I'm not necessarily opposed to a separate thread, but the jumping off point for this discussion is bizarre considering it comes from a 6-month old Twitter account with 300 followers. Who is this person? Why should we give weight to their interpretations of this data?

It's also worth pointing out that there's always a margin of error with these types of statistical analyses, and policy decisions need to be based on data, not necessarily beholden to it. I have not read the report linked in that Twitter thread in its entirety, but it is possible some of these outcomes are existing within the margin of error and therefore not strong enough to draw overwhelming conclusions about.

• Plus1 4

Since we have a thread about the vaccines:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-we-know-about-the-side-effects-of-pfizers-covid-19-vaccine

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/alaska-health-care-worker-had-severe-allergic-reaction-pfizer-covid-n1251448

At least 4 people have had allergic reactions after Pfizer's vaccine, among hundreds of thousands who've been vaccinated. Here's what we know.

Data so far suggests that this vaccine is safe, for the overwhelming majority of allergic people who get it. It's still not completely clear why these four known reactions happened, or whether they were related to the vaccine administration.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

What I don't get is that vaccinating the over 65 group is somehow racist because they aren't racially diverse enough?  How is that somehow racial unless they prioritize white elderly over minority elderly?

It's not that it's racist. It's a question of ethics. Consider that minority groups have been affected more by covid and are more likely to be frontline workers.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What I don't get is that vaccinating the over 65 group is somehow racist because they aren't racially diverse enough?  How is that somehow racial unless they prioritize white elderly over minority elderly?

Because whites represent a larger portion of the population at that age and above And people look for every chance possible to cry racism. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm not necessarily opposed to a separate thread, but the jumping off point for this discussion is bizarre considering it comes from a 6-month old Twitter account with 300 followers. Who is this person? Why should we give weight to their interpretations of this data?

It's also worth pointing out that there's always a margin of error with these types of statistical analyses, and policy decisions need to be based on data, not necessarily beholden to it. I have not read the report linked in that Twitter thread in its entirety, but it is possible some of these outcomes are existing within the margin of error and therefore not strong enough to draw overwhelming conclusions about.

Delete the thread. Makes no difference to me.  Just thought the Covid Vaccine could use a separate thread based on the health significance.  Or it’s kept, it had to start somewhere. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I am sure the news, for better or worse, will highlight stories where individuals will have a reaction to the vaccine.  I wonder what the percentage would be if we tried and vaccinate a billion people with a polio vaccine in a short amount of time. 

1 minute ago, jaws said:

I am sure the news, for better or worse, will highlight stories where individuals will have a reaction to the vaccine.  I wonder what the percentage would be if we tried and vaccinate a billion people with a polio vaccine in a short amount of time. 

Agreed. We both need to monitor the side effects of the vaccine and keep in mind that there's no perfect solution. The last article I linked highlights that the allergic reactions to the vaccine are rare.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That sure sounds like people are saying it's unethical because it's racist.

I would presume that anyone working in healthcare would get vaccinated.  That includes more than just Drs and nurses.  From there, there isn't a reason why the over 65 shouldn't be done right away.

I believe you are Correct.  Age is the biggest factor in Covid deaths so vaccinate based on age (elderly) first then throw in other factors in my opinion. 

• Plus1 1

It amazes me the people that I personally know that say they aren't getting it because they don't trust it.

I agree with something I saw the other day.  Once the vaccine is out and mass distributed, I am NOT going to be for ANY shut downs due to the pandemic.  If you didn't get vaccinated and you get sick....that's on you.

• Plus1 1