Covid-19 Vaccinations.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

It amazes me the people that I personally know that say they aren't getting it because they don't trust it.

I know people like that too. I've been encouraging them to keep an open mind and see what happens over the next few months before they make a decision.

5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Delete the thread. Makes no difference to me.  Just thought the Covid Vaccine could use a separate thread based on the health significance.  Or it’s kept, it had to start somewhere. 

As mentioned, I'm not opposed to the thread itself. I just have questions about the value and validity of this particular Twitter user when, at face value, they are rather obscure.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It amazes me the people that I personally know that say they aren't getting it because they don't trust it.

It's funny you should mention that. A couple of the people I know that are really hesitant about the vaccine are smokers... and I'm like... what???

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1. Maybe I didn't read all of the data in the OP's twitter thread closely enough, but it doesn't look to me like CDC is prioritizing essential workers over the elderly because of race. Rather, diversity is one of the many factors that was considered in a point system to help determine their priorities. If it is just one of many contributing factors, this tweet is being unnecessarily alarmist.

2. As RedDenver pointed out a few posts above, racial minorities have been disproportionally impacted by the pandemic, so this is something that should be considered in the response (but not the only thing of course).

3. This year, we have seen right-leaning politicians and media-types making statements that elderly should be willing to sacrifice themselves for the good of the economy, and so many elderly folks have died during this pandemic because so many other a$$holes in this country refused to take the virus seriously. 

4. That guy's Twitter feed is filled with sexism, homophobia, and a guy using his "Bidenbucks" to stock up on Ammonium Nitrate. 

5. The whole point of this guy's tweet seems like a dog whistle. I'm not convinced that the people that are going to be promoting this tweet and this idea are genuinely concerned about justice and the well-being of the elderly. 

Just my initial impressions, maybe I missed something though.

• Plus1 4

7 minutes ago, Ulty said:

1. Maybe I didn't read all of the data in the OP's twitter thread closely enough, but it doesn't look to me like CDC is prioritizing essential workers over the elderly because of race. Rather, diversity is one of the many factors that was considered in a point system to help determine their priorities. If it is just one of many contributing factors, this tweet is being unnecessarily alarmist.

2. As RedDenver pointed out a few posts above, racial minorities have been disproportionally impacted by the pandemic, so this is something that should be considered in the response (but not the only thing of course).

3. This year, we have seen right-leaning politicians and media-types making statements that elderly should be willing to sacrifice themselves for the good of the economy, and so many elderly folks have died during this pandemic because so many other a$$holes in this country refused to take the virus seriously. 

4. That guy's Twitter feed is filled with sexism, homophobia, and a guy using his "Bidenbucks" to stock up on Ammonium Nitrate. 

5. The whole point of this guy's tweet seems like a dog whistle. I'm not convinced that the people that are going to be promoting this tweet and this idea are genuinely concerned about justice and the well-being of the elderly. 

You did 

• Plus1 1

I'm curious how I'll know when it's my turn. Does my doctor's office just tell me they have vaccinations and I can get one if I want it? Do I get a letter, like for a recall notice?

I'd like to take a trip this year, if possible. But I wonder if there's going to be some pushback on that. Restaurants or lodgings requiring proof of vaccination before letting you stay. Or travelers refusing to stay in an AirBnB or whatever without some proof of vaccination.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Age is the biggest risk factor for Covid deaths by far.  
the point to save most amount of lives was to prioritize healthcare workers and elderly by step down in age.  Race shouldn’t matter at that point.

After the elderly, then let’s move the next highest risk factors up the ladder which could prioritize 40-60 year old minorities in many cases over white individuals because of risk and that sounds good to me.  

politics and straight racial matters should have nothing to do with it.  Just rush factors and Saving lives. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm curious how I'll know when it's my turn. Does my doctor's office just tell me they have vaccinations and I can get one if I want it? Do I get a letter, like for a recall notice?

I'd like to take a trip this year, if possible. But I wonder if there's going to be some pushback on that. Restaurants or lodgings requiring proof of vaccination before letting you stay. Or travelers refusing to stay in an AirBnB or whatever without some proof of vaccination.

Airlines have talked about mandating vaccinations at some point before being able to board their planes. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Age is the biggest risk factor for Covid deaths by far.  
the point to save most amount of lives was to prioritize healthcare workers and elderly by step down in age.  Race shouldn’t matter at that point.

After the elderly, then let’s move the next highest risk factors up the ladder which could prioritize 40-60 year old minorities in many cases over white individuals because of risk and that sounds good to me.  

politics and straight racial matters should have nothing to do with it.  Just rush factors and Saving lives. 

I don't disagree with much of this, but there are still a lot of factors to consider. Yes, of course we need to protect the most vulnerable. However the essential workers are the ones who are out and about, as a matter of necessity, and spreading the virus. Getting them vaccinated could stop or slow the spread, which would help protect the elderly and everyone else until the rest can get the shot.

I wonder if there is data that can show how much of the spread comes from essential workers out on the job. I would bet most of the elderly who get the virus have gotten it as a result of it being spread by...essential workers (understanding that healthcare workers should get it first regardless).

• Plus1 3

40 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I should have looked at the rest of that twitter feed. You're right, it's clear that feed is just dog whistles.

• Plus1 1

I figured as healthcare workers we would go first to create a wall between the COVID patients we treat and the community we live in. I go into a Covid red zone 3 days a week to see COVID+ patients. But I also send my kid to daycare since my wife and I are both frontline workers, we go grocery shopping, we pump gas, ect. Vaccinating front line seems like a good way to eliminate the bridge from the high viral load patients and the general public. 

• Plus1 4
17 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I figured as healthcare workers we would go first to create a wall between the COVID patients we treat and the community we live in. I go into a Covid red zone 3 days a week to see COVID+ patients. But I also send my kid to daycare since my wife and I are both frontline workers, we go grocery shopping, we pump gas, ect. Vaccinating front line seems like a good way to eliminate the bridge from the high viral load patients and the general public. 

You guys can have them first. I can keep wearing a mask, washing my hands more, and social distancing for another six months until all the higher-risk people than me have gotten the shot.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1