The Angry Violent Left

51 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

I might add that MANY headlines dont tell the whole story- its bias by omission

Like the commonly held belief that hate crimes are on the rise

Not necessarily true :

https://reason.com/blog/2019/02/18/jussie-smollett-hate-crime-hoax-empire

But despite Trump's very real history of making disparaging remarks about all kinds of people, there is not a lot of statistical evidence to support the notion that hate crimes are surging. While it's true that the FBI's count of hate crimes rose 17 percent from 2016 to 2017, it's important to note that 1,000 additional agencies reported information to the FBI in the latter year. It should go without saying, but as the number of agencies participating in the FBI's count of hate crimes grows more numerous, the total number of hate crimes will undoubtedly rise. This does not necessarily mean that hate crimes are surging—just that the authorities undercounted them previously.

Statistics, of course, are easily mischaracterized. A few months ago, many in the media became obsessed with a figure from the Anti-Defamation League, which purportedly showed that anti-Semitism had spiked a whopping 57 percent under Trump. But part of that statistic reflected an increase in bomb threats against U.S.-based Jewish institutions perpetrated by just one person: a deranged Israeli teenager. Anti-Semitic violence, according to the ADL's count, actually decreased 47 percent.

A CNN article shows hate crimes trending steadily down from 1996 to its latest data of 2014

https://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/health/hate-crimes-tracking-history-fbi/index.html

I don’t think anyone said recently that hate crimes are rising (I didn’t say it in the post you replied after), but these are good points.

My point in mentioning it is that minorities are far more likely to be the victims. So it makes sense that they’re covered more.

27 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

Please expand upon your original premise "

The media bias is towards whatever will draw more attention and viewers and clicks.

In that case, an old MAGA guy getting punched by a kid will not be as much of a news story as a minority being attacked by a white person. Of course that's true. Moving on."

Why would our society think one is more important than the other, when they are both really bad?

See Guy Chamberlins post on the media caring more about lost white girls vs lost black girls- both are bad

You're asking me to give you an answer as to why human beings care about some things more than other things? 

Would you be more upset if one of your parents died than you would be if a random username drawn out of a hat from Huskerboard died? Why? Both are bad.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

You're asking me to give you an answer as to why human beings care about some things more than other things? 

Would you be more upset if one of your parents died than you would be if a random username drawn out of a hat from Huskerboard died? Why? Both are bad.

If that is the case

then really why would America be more interested in seeing white violence against blacks than black violence against whites like you are suggesting

read a history book

It's not hard to understand. violence and resistance towards black people on behalf of white people is a lingering and historical story. One that's been shocking and inhumane and visceral. One that isn't completely in the past. 

It's more interesting because to many/most it speaks to a truth larger than that individual truth. A black person assaulting a white person is equally as bad in the micro of that one specific interaction, but there's no bigger picture reality that it's representing and reinforcing.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Pretty condescending and rude

name calling and shaming instead of talking the facts is what I thought you were against 

youre better than that 

I have a library with 100s of history and biographical books 

I’m not sure your explanation rings true

According to you we are more interested in seeing stories about lost white girls than black girls because we identify or are closer to the white girls than black girls 

but somehow that same theory gets put on its top when supposedly we don’t want to see stories about blacks attacking whites but whites attacking blacks 

2 hours ago, OTHusker said:

name calling and shaming instead of talking the facts is what I thought you were against 

youre better than that 

Where did I do either of those things?

2 hours ago, OTHusker said:

According to you we are more interested in seeing stories about lost white girls than black girls because we identify or are closer to the white girls than black girls 

In that different scenario, my parsing of the 'reason' would be different. You asked me to try and explain the reasoning behind a specific type of thing, and then applied that reasoning to a different type of thing.

In this type of thing, it's more interesting because it's more rare. Have you seen the movie Nightcrawler? 'If it bleeds, it leads.' The movie is about the news sensationalizing crime in affluent neighborhoods. Why? Because if you live in a nice neighborhood crime is supposed to be more rare, which makes a story about crime that much more scary, which makes that many more people pay attention. 

An example of this would be a reason why so many people care more about seeing Alabama or the New England Patriots lose than they do about seeing the Browns or Vanderbilt lose. Because it's more rare which makes it that much more shocking and interesting when it happens. 

An example of the previous scenario and previous explanation would be something like this. 2009 Big XII Championship game one second gets put back on the clock. So many Nebraska fans were outraged. Outraged way more than so many other times that a second was put back on the clock in the past. Why? Well, one reason was that it fed into a larger narrative that the Big XII was out to get us. It was a bigger sort of thing than just that specific scenario. The scenario spoke to a larger narrative. 

Read a history book is rude and shaming

no need for that I’ve been polite 

as to being interested in that that is different I would agree

but you stated in this thread that Americans werent interested in seeing a black on white type hate crime like the 81 year old white trump person being attacked by a latino 

When I talked about if the shoe was on the other foot, you said Americans would be more interested in seeing an 81 year  year old obama supporter attacked by a white person 

I think it’s media bias they had no interest in discussing things like the trump rally beat downs of trump people or this old man being assaulted 

we all know if the roles were reversed that it would be a firestorm 

Because if americans really is as racist. As many on the left claim, then minority hate crimes against whites would be very rare and white hate crimes against blacks would be common 

If different is what people are looking for then be consistent

fwiw trump looks like an absolute hateful idiot when he goes off on negatively generalizing about illegal immigrants 

but so do those who negatively generalize about mr trumps supporters, which I am not one of 

Watching news this morning about joe Biden getting in trouble for praising mike pence on foreign policy he got slammed by Dems for saying something nice about pence 

the political climate has become so toxic over the last 20 years 

instead of politely disagreeing and just thinking the other side is wrong, opposing viewpoint people are now “bad” people 

blatant truths are not aknowledged and explained away with weak excuses 

this is the fault of both sides who choose to politicize every facet of our lives

both sides disagree with each other just to disagree - even when they are both on the same side of an issue 

if we could share some common ground and agree on a few things maybe that could be a starting point:

no interventionist nation building wars

legalization of marijuana

sentencing and prison reform for non violent criminals 

no cart Blanche abortion on demand right through 9th month

fair trade deals

requiring wealthy nations to pay their own defense budgets as committed to via treaty

fast track experimental drugs for the terminally ill

reign in Iranian and North Korea nuclear threat 

gay marriage- have at it who cares? 

Cut spending across the board 

admit some truths:

illegal aliens do not statistically commit more crimes than the rest of us

All conservatives are not racists 

media bias is very real and skews left a double standard exists 

big tech and it’s influence is massive and should be looked at

weaponizing any facet of our  buerocracy is a danger to us all:  irs, fbi, osha etc 

our President Needs a filter/ should stay off Twitter 

some illegals are bad people but most are hard working people looking for a better life- and we need the dudes 

most Americans are caring, good and welcoming people 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

Watching news this morning about joe Biden getting in trouble for praising mike pence on foreign policy he got slammed by Dems for saying something nice about pence 

I’ve watched news this morning since 5:30. I haven’t seen any of this. 

1 hour ago, OTHusker said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/02/28/politics/joe-biden-mike-pence-decent-guy-criticize-respond/index.html

We weren’t watching the same channel

there are what 10 different news shows on in the am

Yeah....I don't watch CNN in the morning.

We live in a very frustrating time.  When I sit around with my buddies in central Nebraska and I try to explain that even though I don't agree with them politically, Hillary isn't the devil incarnate and Obama isn't a Muslim born in Kenya sent here as a child to turn America to Sharia Law.....I get labeled as a liberal Democrat.  When a friend sends me social media crap about Obama or Hillary and I tell him I have no desire to receive it...I'm labeled a F***ing Democrat that hasn't come out of the closet yet.

The problem is, this has been building since sometime after Reagan was in office.  Republicans made a huge deal out of a BJ, Cigar and a blue dress, Blackwater, Clintons committing mass murder.  Democrats then tried claiming Bush was a mastermind behind 9/11 so that his buddies could make billions in the industrialized military complex and purposely allowed black people to die after Katrina in New Orleans.  Republicans then tried claiming Obama was from Kenya, is Muslim, supports Terrorists and Sharia Law and is the cause of all race tensions in America.

ALL THAT....led us to a situation where one side has voted in the most disgusting human being in the history of the office.  One that got voted in by promoting violence against people who don't agree with him.  One who garners support from hate groups like KKK and Neo-Nazis.  One who rose to power to the chants of "LOCK HER UP"...oh...yeah.....one with zero ability to actually govern...but he sure instilled excitement in the hatred of the other side.

Americans need a huge slap in the face for their political actions over the last 30 years.  It seems like every political cycle, it gets worse and worse and worse.

NOW.....it seems that we are seeing evidence from our intelligence community that Russia is behind a lot of this.  They have been covertly inciting hatred from both sides in America.  There is even evidence that they had major influence in events like the Ferguson riots and Charlottesville.  

Sad thing is, instead of recognizing it and fighting back, the leader of our country has denied denied denied....to the extent of befriending the leader of the country who has done it and has taken off sanctions put in place by the previous President.

America needs a reset button in a huge way.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah....I don't watch CNN in the morning.

We live in a very frustrating time.  When I sit around with my buddies in central Nebraska and I try to explain that even though I don't agree with them politically, Hillary isn't the devil incarnate and Obama isn't a Muslim born in Kenya sent here as a child to turn America to Sharia Law.....I get labeled as a liberal Democrat.  When a friend sends me social media crap about Obama or Hillary and I tell him I have no desire to receive it...I'm labeled a F***ing Democrat that hasn't come out of the closet yet.

The problem is, this has been building since sometime after Reagan was in office.  Republicans made a huge deal out of a BJ, Cigar and a blue dress, Blackwater, Clintons committing mass murder.  Democrats then tried claiming Bush was a mastermind behind 9/11 so that his buddies could make billions in the industrialized military complex and purposely allowed black people to die after Katrina in New Orleans.  Republicans then tried claiming Obama was from Kenya, is Muslim, supports Terrorists and Sharia Law and is the cause of all race tensions in America.

ALL THAT....led us to a situation where one side has voted in the most disgusting human being in the history of the office.  One that got voted in by promoting violence against people who don't agree with him.  One who garners support from hate groups like KKK and Neo-Nazis.  One who rose to power to the chants of "LOCK HER UP"...oh...yeah.....one with zero ability to actually govern...but he sure instilled excitement in the hatred of the other side.

Americans need a huge slap in the face for their political actions over the last 30 years.  It seems like every political cycle, it gets worse and worse and worse.

NOW.....it seems that we are seeing evidence from our intelligence community that Russia is behind a lot of this.  They have been covertly inciting hatred from both sides in America.  There is even evidence that they had major influence in events like the Ferguson riots and Charlottesville.  

Sad thing is, instead of recognizing it and fighting back, the leader of our country has denied denied denied....to the extent of befriending the leader of the country who has done it and has taken off sanctions put in place by the previous President.

America needs a reset button in a huge way.

Good post. 

To the first bolded, I think the spark that lit the fire was Newt Gingrich's "Language: A Key Mechanism of Control." There seemed to be a decency between parties that existed prior to that.   

To the second bolded, does anyone remember the Twilight Zone episode where all these people in a neighborhood and their lawnmowers stopped working and electricity in the house stopped working, and then would randomly turn back on? All the neighbors turned on each other and started blaming and yelling at each other mindlessly, when at the end it turns out that aliens were responsible for it. That's what I feel like is happening right now with Russian hacking, social media influence etc.  

Is this next:  Civil War.  I posted this in the Trump's America thread.    What if Trump doesn't leave the WH when he is not reelected in 2020 and challenges the outcome or if he is impeached.  Will talk radio and Fox and Friends promote people taking to the streets in support of Trump?  Will Russia pull their strings to do the same things - all in an effort to bring about a time of civil unrest not seen since the Civil War?  I can see how this could be worse than the 1960s and all of its race, anti-war riots (which I lived through as a youngster - yea I am that old :o).    We NEED the Dems to step up with some cooler heads to get the pendulum to make shorter swings in this political back and worth.  I don't trust the GOP to do so - unless somehow Kasich or Romney or similar get a hold of the party.  The more moderate GOPers need to come up wt a consensus candidate to run against Trump in the primary.  Even name the ticket Kasich/Romney running together on one ticket in the primary - never done before, and may be a wild idea but now is the time for wild ideas to stop what is going on and restore political order at the top.  :restore    (Yea, I know not a good fit in this discussion but what the hey, it needs to be said.  We've got to get the country back to a civil discourse.  It ain't going to happen under Trump)

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/In-America-talk-turns-to-something-unspoken-for-13654893.php

• Plus1 1