93 Huskers vs Florida State

I sat down and watched the full broadcast on utube yesterday. I have not watched it since I was a kid. A few takeaways

1. We had a ton of Nebraska kids on the field

2. We should have won the game by 1-2 TDS

3. The punt return really should have counted

4. Floyd really did appear to fumble with a Nebraska recovery

5. The refs that night killed us with really minor ticky tacky calls 

6. We should have put in Phillips sooner, we may have won 

7. The end of game clock management by Bowden was horrible. They called a timeout to stop the clock allowing us to save ours. Then kicked the field goal on an early down from the 3 yard line instead of running clock. Left us time and a timeout to get in field position 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

4. Floyd really did appear to fumble with a Nebraska recovery

If they'd had replay back then Nebraska would have won four of five National Championships, not three of four. He so obviously fumbled before he crossed the plane it sparked a meme before memes were a thing.

OOV9eqh.jpg

rQlvZXO.jpg

• Plus1 2

I recall Trev Alberts rattling Charlie Ward and blowing up their O Line.  And it was the first time I seen Bobby Bowden nervous and uncomfortable. 

I also think we got robbed on a deep pass play TD - I just don't remember if it was a TD for us called back, or a TD for them that shouldn't have counted.

Plus the closing minutes of the game - penalties against NU to move FSU into FG range... and the Huskers final drive was crazy.  Bennett or whoever the kicker was should have made the kick.

I should re-watch that game as well.

32 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Pretty sorry event - that game and the PSU game of 82 - the refs robbed Tom of 2 NCs. 

Guys, come on, don't you read the board??? The refs never call one sided games that affect the outcome win, lose, or draw. The timing of those penalties also had no effect on the game whatsoever and it was only the coaching staff's shortcomings that dictated the result of both those games. - Man, can't believe you guys need to keep being told this. 

• Haha 1

One comment from the game commentators that caught my attention. The topic came up because Nebraska got blasted with penalty after penalty in that game and the commentators were talking about how that was so uncharacteristic for a Tom Osborne team. They mentioned in an interview Tom said sloppy penalties bother him because it reflects on the coaching staff and Nebraska looking like a sloppy team. 

We have been such a sloppy team for the last 15 years.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

The reason I still despise FSU....We have yet to play them again and extract revenge on getting robbed in that game.

It robbed us of a three peat. It would have also been really cool to pull a Florida Sweep. 

Florida State 93, Miami 94, Florida 95

I think Nebraska would have much more than 5 titles if you had playoffs back in those days. Imagine 99 Nebraska getting a crack at Florida State for the rematch game.

15 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It robbed us of a three peat. It would have also been really cool to pull a Florida Sweep. 

I think Nebraska would have much more than 5 titles if you had playoffs back in those days. Imagine 99 Nebraska getting a crack at Florida State for the rematch game.

That 99 team was deserving of a championship - 1 stupid fumble against texas did it.   I think they would have beat VaTech or FSU that year.    It is amazing how many NC were lost by one play over that span of time from the BobFather to the early years of Frank.  It just shows how good we were - we win some and we are close in so many others.    Yes, I too wished we could have had another crack at FSU. 

15 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Guys, come on, don't you read the board??? The refs never call one sided games that affect the outcome win, lose, or draw. The timing of those penalties also had no effect on the game whatsoever and it was only the coaching staff's shortcomings that dictated the result of both those games. - Man, can't believe you guys need to keep being told this. 

I hope this was said with a bit of :sarcasm

45 minutes ago, TGHusker said:
46 minutes ago, TGHusker said:
46 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I hope this was said with a bit of :sarcasm

More tongue-in-cheek than sarcastic, in response to those on this board who adamantly refuse the possibility that the referees played a role in deciding any game this season or last. It's been an ongoing conversation in gameday threads.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

More tongue-in-cheek than sarcastic, in response to those on this board who adamantly refuse the possibility that the referees played a role in deciding any game this season or last. It's been an ongoing conversation in gameday threads.

It is like apples and oranges comparison. On one hand you have an undefeated team playing for a national championship. Great looking team going toe to toe with the other top team in the country. You lose by 2 points and it costs you a national championship. 

On the other hand you have a pathetic team that looks poorly coached and undisciplined all season. Many reasons why we lose so much and refs may play a small part in that. But a large part in that is controlled by us. Get ourselves in order and when we are back to doing everything right again and look solid on the field. Then start b!^@hing about the refs.

The reason they are apples to oranges is because 1993 Nebraska had all their ducks in a row and the refs cost them a game. In 2019 and 2020 we were a mess in nearly all categories so before most fans are going to look to blaming the refs is IF we were actually taking care of business in other areas of the football team. It just looks like whining and excuse making when you are not doing anything well. So yes I agree the biased Big Ten refs are frustrating. But for me I am MORE frustrated by how pathetic we look as a team. If we are going to take the next step as a program it will be because we look in the mirror and address what we can control. We are not going to get better by sticking our head in the sand and blaming the refs. Would you feel better if we were a s#!tty team that went 6-6 instead of a s#!tty team that went 4-8? I wouldnt. If our standards at Nebraska are still be become an elite team again that wins the west, wins big ten championships and wins national championships then we need to get ourselves fixed 

• Thanks 1
On 1/3/2021 at 10:30 PM, knapplc said:

If they'd had replay back then Nebraska would have won four of five National Championships, not three of four. He so obviously fumbled before he crossed the plane it sparked a meme before memes were a thing.

16 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I'm of the mind that, all things being equal, 1994 doesn't happen if we win in 1993. 

• Plus1 2