Media Bias

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It gets annoying seeing how often people don't have even a simple understanding of bias.

If person A takes a dump on a puppy and person B rolls their eyes at a puppy, people are going to talk more meanly about person A. No bias is required for that to happen.

if the puppy is a democrat the trumpers would hate the guy who pooped on the puppy because he didn't shoot the puppy.  there can be no mercy for the dems.  no weakness shown.    no compromise is possible.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You shared the article with the group,. Is it just because you liked their bar graph? 

It’s because the article shows the clear bias in media coverage.  Their reasoning behind the clear bias doesnt make sense considering past elections show the same bias and Repubs still won. The bar graph is kinda cool though. 

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s because the article shows the clear bias in media coverage.  Their reasoning behind the clear bias doesnt make sense considering past elections show the same bias and Repubs still won. The bar graph is kinda cool though. 

Uhm....the people who made the bar graph and explained their methodology also went to the trouble of providing context and analysis. They understand this better than you or I and I think they were hoping people genuinely wanted to learn something.

I think they chose the horse racing  analogy  because it's something even a child would understand: being the front runner generates a positive storyline, falling behind generates a negative storyline. In close races with lots of ebbs and flows it's no doubt harder to gauge. Gaffes, misstatements, and scandals always get play. 

If you're talking about Donald Trump, who broke all kinds of precedents, the media hated him. He's an unprincipled liar who attacks anyone who questions him -- which is what the free media is supposed to do. For many of us, the media showed too much restraint in calling him out,. Trump enjoyed a celebrity bias that gave him a huge advantage. If you'd like, I can make a bar graph that proves it. 

• Plus1 1

I know a teacher who doesn't use students names on his essay tests, just a number ID, that way there is no. bias on his part when he grades their test.

I have always thought that a newspaper/online rag that reported news and wrote articles WITHOUT using their name would be simply amazing.  I think a lot of people would be shocked at what they really agree and disagree with, simply by not knowing who wrote the piece.  

It would be like one of those dating shows where you don't know who you are talking too.  CATFISHED!  

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I know a teacher who doesn't use students names on his essay tests, just a number ID, that way there is no. bias on his part when he grades their test.

I have always thought that a newspaper/online rag that reported news and wrote articles WITHOUT using their name would be simply amazing.  I think a lot of people would be shocked at what they really agree and disagree with, simply by not knowing who wrote the piece.  

It would be like one of those dating shows where you don't know who you are talking too.  CATFISHED!  

I don’t know as it would make much of a difference for non-idiots. Have you read any Breitbart articles before?

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

There are some funny man on the street interviews with random people showing this very thing. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

That's a lawyer, not a reporter.  He sounds like a moron.  Definitely extremists on both sides...doesn't make for a good time to be alive right now.

Lawyer for a news org 

9 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

That's a lawyer, not a reporter.  He sounds like a moron.  Definitely extremists on both sides...doesn't make for a good time to be alive right now.

I would push back a bit and say it’s always a good time to be alive.  The alternative would be worse. 

• Plus1 1