Insurrection fallout

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m against this.  

i do think they need to do something...not sure a fence would do much against an agitated mob like they saw though.   iron bars over the windows and heavy duty steel doors might slow down the mob.....with the guards having access to something more powerful then pistols if needed to help persuade the mob that storming the capital isn't a bright idea  

This fence seems like the equivalent of putting a bucket under leaky plumbing instead of just fixing the plumbing. I'm not 100% opposed to it but it's a pretty drastic security measure, and there are things that could've been done prior to Jan. 6th to stop the riot from turning into what it did regardless of whether a fence had been there. I'm not generally a huge fan of reactionary measures that don't address the root cause of problems.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They should put in a moat. It could be decorative, add a pretty water feature, but also act as the same kind of barrier as that small fence.

A moat would add work to the site security team on a daily basis. But it would also add to the overall beauty of the Capitol, while adding security from the masses. 

But it would certainly be more effective than a fence, which also detracts from the aesthetics. 

2 minutes ago, commando said:

with the guards having access to something more powerful then pistols if needed to help persuade the mob that storming the capital isn't a bright idea  

tenor.gif81941952.gif

What the insurrection did was expose the capital as a 'easy' hit by a well trained group - which could have done more damage then Trump's goon squad.

In the same way, we learned after 9/11 that we needed to reinforce cockpit doors on planes we will need to reinforce entrances and windows on the capital.

Prior to 911 no one dreamed of the possibility of terrorist hijacking planes intent on a suicide mission to fly them into buildings .  It was a wake up call.

In the same way, who would have predicted that a president would inspire his cult following goons to storm the capital building. 

Personally, I think the fence should only be a short term solution - only until we have reinforced windows and doors.   In the same way the USA rebuilt the trade center and didn't give into the terrorists plan to force us to  retreat and live in fear but instead we went on offensive, I think the DOJ and Congress need to go on offensive and do a full investigation and throw people in jail (after a proper trial of course) - anyone who inspired and promoted what happened - including DJT.  Set an example. 

The Capital building is for all of us and we should not be held out from visiting our house by the goons of the insurrection.  Beef up security and especially during politically charged events.  Capital police with just pistols may not be the best deterrent.   Trained & properly armed soldiers who swear to defend the constitution (and not a political figure) would be.  And a couple of "Terminators' won't hurt either.

20 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They should put in a moat. It could be decorative, add a pretty water feature, but also act as the same kind of barrier as that small fence.

I'd love to see DJT in a orange suit digging the moat with 'the people he loves' his insurrection goons,  and we could all shout "Build that Moat. Build that Moat"

DvdejwgVsAEsb2m.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
53 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Sounds kind of like a responsible plan that would be supported by everyone except Trump and his cronies in Congress.

There are calls from the Democrats for Biden to tear down the existing wall!  The Dems are the biggest problem in this equation. 

• Plus1 1