Insurrection fallout

17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't agree. People with critical thinking skills can see that they are almost all stupid and not indicators, even on the whole, of anything untoward. And no I wouldn't doubt the outcome. I'm not an idiot. Most of the things on the list are so stupid so as to not be worth replying to, but to reply to one, rally size is not an indicator of how many people in the nation are going to vote for the person, and it was in the middle of the pandemic. Biden was a) being safe and/or b) trying to show he was being safe, as a political move to contrast Trump. In addition to that, more people who would vote for Biden would be people who would social distance and not want to attend a big rally during a pandemic. I'm not really understand why you, who seem to be pretty smart, think a list of easily refutable points somehow on the whole looks like it could be a good argument to a smart person that voter fraud happened.

Trump pounded it into people's heads over and over and unfortunately they fell for it. It's arguable that anyone who would believe it based on that list of points is brainwashed.

I agree that you certainly do not seem to be an idiot. Thanks for your response, and to the bold, I was putting it out there to start a discussion after @knapplcsaid that someone who is a very good friend of mine must be "brainwashed", and you add "stupid". I can assure you he is neither, but I have never felt personally that there is proof of widespread voter fraud.

I was just hoping to get some input/comments and other points of view. And, it appears that it definitely did that.   :cheers

29 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I agree that you certainly do not seem to be an idiot. Thanks for your response, and to the bold, I was putting it out there to start a discussion after @knapplcsaid that someone who is a very good friend of mine must be "brainwashed", and you add "stupid". I can assure you he is neither, but I have never felt personally that there is proof of widespread voter fraud.

I was just hoping to get some input/comments and other points of view. And, it appears that it definitely did that.   :cheers

I suppose it's possible to be smart and brainwashed. He seems either stupid or brainwashed. The reason people think there was widespread voter fraud or the election was stolen is because they are either stupid or brainwashed. That is the only explanation I can accept for people who fall for Trump's bulls#!t, and that's where the fraud claims stem from. There is no evidence there was widespread fraud or the election is stolen. People are taking the word of a dumbs#!t over actual facts.

• Plus1 3
25 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I suppose it's possible to be smart and brainwashed. He seems either stupid or brainwashed. The reason people think there was widespread voter fraud or the election was stolen is because they are either stupid or brainwashed. That is the only explanation I can accept for people who fall for Trump's bulls#!t, and that's where the fraud claims stem from. There is no evidence there was widespread fraud or the election is stolen. People are taking the word of a dumbs#!t over actual facts.

I am not nearly as confrontational as you seem to be. This guy (who I have referenced before) best friend in HS, roommate in college, in each other's weddings, and currently golf together a couple times a month, does not seem like a sheep and doesn't openly toot Trump's horn. I know from experience that he is conservative politically, but would do anything to help anyone regardless of politics/race/religious views..."shirt off his back" kind of guy. He certainly did not get to where he is by being gullible or naive, and is definitely not stupid. 

I have a hard time lumping millions of people into the "stupid or brainwashed" columns, because they don't believe the same thing that I do. I cannot, and will not, cut ties with any of my circle, like some of you said you did with family and friends, just because they view things differently than I do. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I am not nearly as confrontational as you seem to be. This guy (who I have referenced before) best friend in HS, roommate in college, in each other's weddings, and currently golf together a couple times a month, does not seem like a sheep and doesn't openly toot Trump's horn. I know from experience that he is conservative politically, but would do anything to help anyone regardless of politics/race/religious views..."shirt off his back" kind of guy. He certainly did not get to where he is by being gullible or naive, and is definitely not stupid. 

I have a hard time lumping millions of people into the "stupid or brainwashed" columns, because they don't believe the same thing that I do. I cannot, and will not, cut ties with any of my circle, like some of you said you did with family and friends, just because they view things differently than I do. 

You and your guy sound like the type of friends everyone would like to have in life.  Well done and hope it stays that way for the both of you!  

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I cannot, and will not, cut ties with any of my circle, like some of you said you did with family and friends, just because they view things differently than I do. 

I don't think you necessarily meant to downplay or marginalize why some people cut ties with family/friends, but I think it often goes beyond "viewing things differently."

I cut ties with a cousin of mine who is a racist, sexist, white supremacist. He used Trump as a vessel to basically inject his beliefs and behaviors with steroids, spreading his nonsense all over social media and within our family. Someone like that doesn't have a place in my life and I think that's a choice I'm allowed to make.

Conversely, my in-laws (who I've referenced a bunch on here) are pretty hardcore conservatives who were big fans of Trump. I don't necessarily think they're more brainwashed than anyone else out there, but they certainly like to ignore information that doesn't align with their perspective. And they're not near the same level of the radicalists we've had to experience in recent years. By comparison, I'm not willing to cut ties with them over that.

• Plus1 3

I've cut ties with several people who are no longer healthy parts of my life over the years, including a sister. It's not necessary for every downturn in every relationship, and I think most people have a pretty healthy sense of when someone needs to be excised from their life. But cutting ties with toxic people is a healthy thing. 

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think you necessarily meant to downplay or marginalize why some people cut ties with family/friends, but I think it often goes beyond "viewing things differently."

I cut ties with a cousin of mine who is a racist, sexist, white supremacist. He used Trump as a vessel to basically inject his beliefs and behaviors with steroids, spreading his nonsense all over social media and within our family. Someone like that doesn't have a place in my life and I think that's a choice I'm allowed to make.

Conversely, my in-laws (who I've referenced a bunch on here) are pretty hardcore conservatives who were big fans of Trump. I don't necessarily think they're more brainwashed than anyone else out there, but they certainly like to ignore information that doesn't align with their perspective. And they're not near the same level of the radicalists we've had to experience in recent years. By comparison, I'm not willing to cut ties with them over that.

Definitely right, I was not trying to put anyone down if they have chosen to do so. I am also sorry to hear about your cousin, and the position he put you in.

I was absolutely making reference to family/friends more like your in-laws example. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

What does what I said have to do with confrontation or cutting ties? I didn’t suggest either of those things. I don’t cut ties with all of the stupid or brainwashed people I know. Only the ones that are hateful.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

What does what I said have to do with confrontation or cutting ties? I didn’t suggest either of those things. I don’t cut ties with all of the stupid or brainwashed people I know. Only the ones that are hateful.

I thought you were one of the posters that referenced cutting people out of your life due to differing views. I must have been mistaken. 

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I thought you were one of the posters that referenced cutting people out of your life due to differing views. I must have been mistaken. 

I’ve deleted people from FB if they’re hateful but I don’t think I’ve posted about it in a couple months. 

I'm not sure where to post this but think this fits just as well as any other thread.    Crazy Texas State Rep introduced legislation for texas to succeed from the Union by 2026.

Now wouldn't that be funny - maybe that is the way to get Texas out of the Big 12 and Nebraska back in. :B)  (Actually, Nebr is better off in the Big 10 money wise - different topic so don't hijack it <_<)

Note the reference to Russia below, which I'm sure would love to see Texas go it alone.  These GOPers who think like this are pretty fatalistic.  They must think the Dems will rule into eternity.  This shows a lack of understanding of political history and the ebbs and flows of it, but more importantly a lack of confidence in being able to create a message that would appeal to a large cross section of voters.  Yes, if they keep their narrow Trumpian world view, they won't ever rise to the top again or appeal to the masses.  So in this case, they are willing to throw out the baby wt the bath water instead of looking honestly at what they have become - a party devoid of appeal, character, and vision.  (Not that the Dems have a corner on those 3 characteristics either but they at least have shown that they have a vision bigger than just one cultish section of America).   GOPers  like the below want to take their ball home and cry all the way instead of manning up and leading in  a way that benefits the whole nation. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gay-hitler-texas-lawmaker-kyle-biederman-introduces-bill-aimed-at-seceding-from-the-united-states

The bill is tied to the Texas Nationalist Movement that’s made trips to Moscow, received a “small grant” from the Kremlin and funding from the Anti-Globalist Movement of Russia. 

For months, far-right voices like Rush Limbaugh and Texas GOP head Allen West have floated secession as a potential means of escaping Democratic control in Washington. This week, that chatter transformed into something concrete—and nearly unprecedented.

In Austin, Republican Kyle Biedermann of the Texas House of Representatives, previously best known for dressing up as “gay Hitler,” became the first American legislator in nearly a century and only the second since the Civil War to file a formal bill calling for state-level secession from the United States.

Dubbed the “Texas Independence Referendum Act,” his bill would allow Texans to vote this November on a referendum “on the question of whether this state should leave the United States of America and establish an independent republic.”

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Anyone can be taken in by a con or a cult even if they are not gullible, naive, or stupid in all other aspects of their life.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Anyone can be taken in by a con or a cult even if they are not gullible, naive, or stupid in all other aspects of their life.

My thoughts as well. Just wondering why others insist on characterizing, or labeling, them as such in every reference...