Economy

4 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I highly doubt Walmart pays their lowest tier people that though. Interesting that Runza does. Good on them.

I worked at Menards in 2009 part time and was making like $8.50 as a morning stocker, full timers made $13 and change. That's equivalent to $11.18 and just over $17 respectively, when adjust for inflation today. Pushing carts at Hy-Vee I was making $5.25 which isn't even $9/hr today.

Indeed is showing "Front End Associate" can be hired at Walmart in central Nebraska for $11 - $18 per hour.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The Walmart by me has a sign up that says "Now Hiring" and under it "14.50 to 16.50 starting pay"

No idea if it is totally accurate or not but it is what the sign says.  

And in Cali now, 20 dollars an hour is the new min. wage for fast food workers. 

By the way, I think you should take every cent you can get , so I am all for people getting paid as much as possible. 

Well, good for them I guess. Cali and major cities are a whole different story.

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

Been looking for a house all year. Got a tour of the next house to finish in a new development. Look at the doorway to the den off the entryway hall for the front door and it was out of plumb by an inch top to bottom. I pointed it out to the sales guy and he thought I was crazy, said it looked fine. The thing was clearly crooked in the highest traffic area in the home!

So you are my neighbor???  Because that sounds like my house!

My "windows" are clearly cheese and I am guessing Swiss cheese from the amazing draft.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

strong disagree

strong agree

Ha! Amen!

My parents house was built in the early 70's and it is the sturdiest freaking thing I have ever seen.  My grandmas house was probably from the 50's, I am not sure, and we did our best to DESTROY that house when all the kids were over there for holidays...and nothing.  That thing was a tank!

• TBH 2
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Indeed is showing "Front End Associate" can be hired at Walmart in central Nebraska for $11 - $18 per hour.

Yeah and so the issue is, no one is taking it for 11 or 12, or 13 or 14.  Because they don't have to because other places will pay more.

I had a student, I think it was last year, worked at a cookie place and said "I will never work for less than 16 an hour again, because I don't have to, every place I apply offers at least 16"

I hear my students now say things like "What, you get 17 an hour, lucky, I only get 15 an hour" 

4 minutes ago, commando said:

hire reputable contractors.

Dude, you are talking about custom builds.  That is a totally different animal and cost. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think that is the point that is trying to be made.  That you really don't get what you pay for, not right now anyway.  

i apparently don't know anything about the subject of new homes.  i have only been in  the business for the past 47 years.  i will shut up and listen to your advice now and start telling you how to correctly teach now

• TBH 2
2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

and the point being made is that at this time in our country what you pay is a f#&% ton and what you pay for is cheap s#!t that isn't designed to last longer than a 30 year mortgage at best

And I totally get that like the new gadgets are better, we all get that.  But old homes are sturdy and built to last.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, commando said:

i apparently don't know anything about the subject of new homes.  i have only been in  the business for the past 47 years.  i will shut up and listen to your advice now and start telling you how to correctly teach now

Well if you are in the business of building homes than you know that older homes were built better and cookie cutter homes of today are built cheaply.  I would imagine it is impossible to disagree with that.  

I have a feeling you are getting mad because you know it is true and don't want to agree.   Which is fine, I get it.  

Is your business building cookie cutter homes?  Honest question.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
18 minutes ago, commando said:

hire reputable contractors.

Agree.

Here's the problem though.  Americans don't think 30 years down the road.  Our population is so transient anymore that so many people don't think they will be in their same home 5 years later.  So....they buy accordingly.  

And....on top of that....so many people don't know how to buy quality.

• TBH 2