Economy

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Agree.

Here's the problem though.  Americans don't think 30 years down the road.  Our population is so transient anymore that so many people don't think they will be in their same home 5 years later.  So....they buy accordingly.  

And....on top of that....so many people don't know how to buy quality.

Soooooooooo true!

A new shiny cookie cutter home LOOKS perfect in every single way, especially to the untrained eye.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Well if you are in the business of building homes than you know that older homes were built better and cookie cutter homes of today are built cheaply.  I would imagine it is impossible to disagree with that.  

I have a feeling you are getting mad because you know it is true and don't want to agree.   Which is fine, I get it.  

Is your business building cookie cutter homes?  Honest question.

if i could take you out into the field and show you how older homes were constructed compared to new practices i am sure i could convince you of how full of s#!t your statement is.    but i suspect you couldn't handle a day doing this work so that point is moot.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, commando said:

if i could take you out into the field and show you how older homes were constructed compared to new practices i am sure i could convince you of how full of s#!t your statement is.    but i suspect you couldn't handle a day doing this work so that point is moot.

I agree.  Your job is tougher than mine and you are more of a man than I am.  

But my question was, do you build cookie cutter homes?

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I agree.  Your job is tougher than mine and you are more of a man than I am.  

But my question was, do you build cookie cutter homes?

if you go back to the start of this convo....i said to hire reputable contractors.     i have always built custom homes.   my goal always has been to give the customer what they want and something i can drive by in the future and still be proud that i built that home.  and being in a small town....if i didn't do quality work i would be out of business in a hurry.    

• TBH 2
Just now, commando said:

if you go back to the start of this convo....i said to hire reputable contractors.     i have always built custom homes.   my goal always has been to give the customer what they want and something i can drive by in the future and still be proud that i built that home.  and being in a small town....if i didn't do quality work i would be out of business in a hurry.    

Amen!

We are not arguing the same thing.  In fact, I agreed with you (before you went off on me, no big deal, it is Friday) and said that old homes compared to cookie cutter homes of today and then gave examples.

I 100% agree that custom built homes of today are better.  

You literally got mad at me for agreeing with you.  I WISH I could build a house, I can't do anything handy.  I even had to borrow 
"vice grips" from school today, not knowing they are actually called "channel locks" because I have a hose I can't get off (yes yes, I tried rubbing it, good joke).

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Amen!

We are not arguing the same thing.  In fact, I agreed with you (before you went off on me, no big deal, it is Friday) and said that old homes compared to cookie cutter homes of today and then gave examples.

I 100% agree that custom built homes of today are better.  

You literally got mad at me for agreeing with you.  I WISH I could build a house, I can't do anything handy.  I even had to borrow 
"vice grips" from school today, not knowing they are actually called "channel locks" because I have a hose I can't get off (yes yes, I tried rubbing it, good joke).

that is where the reputable comes into play.  but todays codes are much better than the old codes.   newer homes are almost always stronger than the older homes.   but some contractors will use the cheapest s#!t they can get by with legally (or by  bribing past the building inspector)  

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Also, 47 years building homes?  How old are you???  Did you start when you were -4 years old?

my dad was a contractor.   i was out there in the summer carrying lumber and being the gopher when i was 14

• Thanks 1
Just now, commando said:

that is where the reputable comes into play.  but todays codes are much better than the old codes.   newer homes are almost always stronger than the older homes.   but some contractors will use the cheapest s#!t they can get by with legally (or by  bribing past the building inspector)  

Were there even "codes" back in the day?

• Plus1 1