Economy

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Not a Trumper, and adding jobs is good in general...but the economy on my level is not good. See my question above. 

Our industry is way down this year from the previous two years.  But, we all expected it...even before Biden was elected because the demand back then was just unsustainable and people were eventually going to spend their money on other things than construction around their homes.  I'm sure inflation had something to do with it too.  However, in our industry, our products shot up in cost but now have settled back down a lot closer to historical prices.

I expect this next year will be a little better than this year.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Our industry is way down this year from the previous two years.  But, we all expected it...even before Biden was elected because the demand back then was just unsustainable and people were eventually going to spend their money on other things than construction around their homes.  I'm sure inflation had something to do with it too.  However, in our industry, our products shot up in cost but now have settled back down a lot closer to historical prices.

I expect this next year will be a little better than this year.

Home Depot and Lowes were printing money during Covid, when everyone was doing little home projects.  

• TBH 3

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

isn't 1955 the time was america was great?   and i have a hard time understanding what they are trying to say here.   the average house in the 50's was around 1,000 sq ft.   todays average house is approximately 2,500 sq ft and built much better than those homes were.   if you are buying more than twice the home that you could buy then i would expect a very high ratio.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I spend most of my life dealing with facilities stuff at our school.  We have a LARGE addition being built.  In the Educational world, us too, there is a lot of covid money being spent on furniture and other items in that realm.

Our Ed. furniture guy said that world is making tons of money right now.  When the covid money dries up, they will not make any money for several years.  He is 100% commission.  He is saving money like crazy now.  He will make very little money in a year or two.

19 minutes ago, commando said:

isn't 1955 the time was america was great?   and i have a hard time understanding what they are trying to say here.   the average house in the 50's was around 1,000 sq ft.   todays average house is approximately 2,500 sq ft and built much better than those homes were.   if you are buying more than twice the home that you could buy then i would expect a very high ratio.

And, think of all the technology that is in homes now compared to back then.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, think of all the technology that is in homes now compared to back then.

things like insulation, argon gas between 2 sealed glass panes instead of single pane glass windows, furnace technology, AC units, much more wiring, smoke detectors, etc..etc...

4 minutes ago, commando said:

things like insulation, argon gas between 2 sealed glass panes instead of single pane glass windows, furnace technology, AC units, much more wiring, smoke detectors, etc..etc...

Internet infrastructure, TV/computer capabilities, smart home fixtures, security systems.

• Plus1 1

53 minutes ago, commando said:

I think '55 was right after the Korean War. The start of the boom for sure. I think the reason the chart went back to 1955 was referenced in the text...it was the last time that HPI has been this high. I found the most recent information about home value to income ratio here https://orchard.com/blog/posts/house-price-to-income-ratio

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Correct!

One of my students works at Runza (not sure if you know that place or not) and makes 16 an hour!

I highly doubt Walmart pays their lowest tier people that though. Interesting that Runza does. Good on them.

I worked at Menards in 2009 part time and was making like $8.50 as a morning stocker, full timers made $13 and change. That's equivalent to $11.18 and just over $17 respectively, when adjust for inflation today. Pushing carts at Hy-Vee I was making $5.25 which isn't even $9/hr today.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I highly doubt Walmart pays their lowest tier people that though. Interesting that Runza does. Good on them.

I worked at Menards in 2009 part time and was making like $8.50 as a morning stocker, full timers made $13 and change. That's equivalent to $11.18 and just over $17 respectively when adjust for inflation today.

The Walmart by me has a sign up that says "Now Hiring" and under it "14.50 to 16.50 starting pay"

No idea if it is totally accurate or not but it is what the sign says.  

And in Cali now, 20 dollars an hour is the new min. wage for fast food workers. 

By the way, I think you should take every cent you can get , so I am all for people getting paid as much as possible. 

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Cookie Cutter homes of today are piles of s#!t.

Been looking for a house all year. Got a tour of the next house to finish in a new development. Look at the doorway to the den off the entryway hall for the front door and it was out of plumb by an inch top to bottom. I pointed it out to the sales guy and he thought I was crazy, said it looked fine. The thing was clearly crooked in the highest traffic area in the home!

• Plus1 1