Economy

6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Yes the Democrats are generally opposed to people who are financially motivated to have us keep destroying our planet more and faster than we need to, you are right about that.

Right. And that is what Biden was alluding too and what I meant when I said Dems are enjoying this. Enjoying is an over statement because it will cost them, but they see an opportunity to ween people off of fossil fuels with pain at the pump. As Ram Emmanuel said….never waste a good crisis to help get your policies through. Every once and awhile politicians say this out loud. 

Oil companies are not in business to go out of business it would not surprise me to see them endorse and send money to candidates that help them stay in business. 

speaking of global warming, aren’t we doing better and better on emissions? Even in the Trump years? The pandemic probably skewed the 2020 data point, but I thought we were making good progress. Now, thanks to Russia, some European counties are firing up old coal plants.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, nic said:

Right. And that is what Biden was alluding too and what I meant when I said Dems are enjoying this. Enjoying is an over statement because it will cost them, but they see an opportunity to ween people off of fossil fuels with pain at the pump. As Ram Emmanuel said….never waste a good crisis to help get your policies through. Every once and awhile politicians say this out loud. 

Oil companies are not in business to go out of business it would not surprise me to see them endorse and send money to candidates that help them stay in business. 

speaking of global warming, aren’t we doing better and better on emissions? Even in the Trump years? The pandemic probably skewed the 2020 data point, but I thought we were making good progress. Now, thanks to Russia, some European counties are firing up old coal plants.

Trump bragged about dropping emissions during his term but it pretty much was all because of the pandemic. 

if oil companies aren’t drilling because of what Biden said, then why did they drill so much during Obama’s term when he was saying the same things?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

Name me one thing that Trump did that would have lowered emissions?

He pulled out of the Paris Accord, froze CAFE regulations until 2026, gutted the Clean Power Plan, removed tax rebates for solar and other renewable energy, and worked to deregulate the coal and coal power industry.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a very strange economy where everyone is on edge. Many don’t feel like it’s going well. High inflation. And companies can’t find workers. 

So just by where I live, stores are closing early because of lack of staff and a lot of places have signs up apologizing for how long the wait will be because they are short staffed.

Which means wages will go up to attract workers which means prices will go up.   And the cycle will continue.  

Luckily, the bars in Benson are still doing Two Dollar Tallboys on Tuesday.

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a very strange economy where everyone is on edge. Many don’t feel like it’s going well. High inflation. And companies can’t find workers. 

I've been hearing about layoffs too... and seeing some posts on LinkedIn.

Well, today it clicked. How interest rate hikes stop inflation. Some of you probably already understood this, but here goes. 

Poor people have too much money, this is increasing demand on materials and causing prices to increase as well. People are willing to pay the higher price because they have more liquidity. But too much inflation is bad, as it devalues the currency, which, of course impacts the wealthy most as they have the most currency to devalue. 

So by increasing the interest rate, it prevents poor people from doing things like buying a house, or taking out a loan for college, having kids, or even utilizing credit to pay for every day good. This in turn reduces demand and which then stems inflation by penalizing the poor for having liquidity and recommits them to a life of indentured servitude.

So instead of penalizing the poor people, why don't we cap how much of a price increase producers can charge relative to their input costs? Wouldn't this truly stem inflation and allow poor people to improve their financial standing and gain liquidity? 

Well- sure it would. But we can't put any limits or restrictions on the wealthy and their greed. Only poor people should have any limits on their life and we will control them through their finances. 

Then, we will also identify the necessities in life - fuel, food, medical care, and completely remove it from the equation of supply and demand and gouge the crap out of the poor people so that even if they stop utilizing credit so high interest rates don't impact them we keep them where we want them, living paycheck to paycheck selling the minutes of their short time on this earth for pennies on the dollar just to get by. 

In doing so we create an oligarchy, of the rich, by the rich, and for the rich. We'll call it capitalism and say "hey look, anyone can be like us," while the entire time the system is rigged to ensure only a select few ever truly experience economic mobility, a strong financial standing, and the liquidity necessary to achieve the American dream. 

7 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Producers have been calling foul on this since the 90's figures that it would take another corporation losing their a** before anyone gave a damn. 

Producers aren't going to be able to push this through.  It's going to take a very large customer or multiple ones to make someone take this serious.  Hopefully Sysco is that big of customer.

There are 4 companies in the US that supplies our main raw material and we know they price fix.  But, if I were to push something like this, i would be out of business so fast my head would spin.  Now, if some of the biggest buyers in the country were to push this, it would be noticed and taken seriously.  But...they are all in bed with the suppliers.

It's a sucky situation.  Hopefully this gets looked into in the beef industry.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Producers aren't going to be able to push this through.  It's going to take a very large customer or multiple ones to make someone take this serious.  Hopefully Sysco is that big of customer.

There are 4 companies in the US that supplies our main raw material and we know they price fix.  But, if I were to push something like this, i would be out of business so fast my head would spin.  Now, if some of the biggest buyers in the country were to push this, it would be noticed and taken seriously.  But...they are all in bed with the suppliers.

It's a sucky situation.  Hopefully this gets looked into in the beef industry.

Your situation is a bit different as you are buying the raw materials from the businesses that hold the power. The meat and dairy industry does this on both ends. First by price setting the purchase price of the raw goods (live animals) the by price setting the selling price of the finished product. As a result they make bank on both ends as the middleman.