Is the vaccine safe?

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Monday that the deaths have to be put into context of the population that they occurred in -- a nursing home with extremely frail individuals.

Speaking at the Choose Healthy Lives Black Clergy Conclave, Fauci said that his understanding was that the deaths followed the booster dose of the vaccine when there are more non-specific symptoms, such as aches, fever and malaise.

"It is conceivable that when you have a very frail individual, such as many who are in nursing homes, that even that amount of stress to them could put them over the top," Fauci added.

These are not comparators to the general population. These are people so frail literally a loud noise could induce death. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

These are not comparators to the general population. These are people so frail literally a loud noise could induce death. 

Sure, but it's still a concern, in my opinion. It's not a good look when it's contributing to the death of some in the demographic it's most designed to save. Also, it's quite an assumption for Fauci (and you) to make when he/you knows little, to nothing about the individuals that died. I'm not suggesting it should cause the public at large any concern, but it may cause some 80+ year old people, with health issues some pause. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Sure, but it's still a concern, in my opinion. It's not a good look when it's contributing to the death of some in the demographic it's most designed to save. Also, it's quite an assumption for Fauci (and you) to make when he/you knows little, to nothing about the individuals that died. I'm not suggesting it should cause the public at large any concern, but it may cause some 80+ year old people, with health issues some pause. 

We're discussing the safety of the general population from this vaccine. These are complete outliers and not comparators to the question in this thread. 

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We're discussing the safety of the general population from this vaccine. These are complete outliers and not comparators to the question in this thread. 

It shouldn't be disregarded.... And it's not, at least in Norway, so that's good I suppose.

(Also, the outliers/general population argument could be used at an exhausted rate across this forum, but it's never a good enough reason anywhere else).

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It shouldn't be disregarded.... And it's not, at least in Norway, so that's good I suppose.

It's not being disregarded. It's being examined in relationship to the population it actually affects. Which is not the general population.

Let's compare apples to apples. 

• Fire 1

Nursing home patients are part of the general population as it’s called general for a reason.   

that said, the article B.B. posted mentioned those deaths included terminal patients.  Also keep in mind Norway vaccinated 43K patients I believe it said, and the US has vaccinated over 10 million.  With our media, I’m sure we would have heard of major problems by now.  

• Plus1 5
11 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

God I wished I saved it, but I read on the internet (I know, I know) that part of the reason the vaccine was developed so quickly was because they were given essentially carte blanche to get through development and then testing trials. Part of the reason some vaccines/medicines take a long time to develop is that there's not enough money to get through each step like there was with the COVID vaccines.

Found this link that supports this and also provides other reasons (prior knowledge of previous COVID viruses, technology, and a lot of different possibilities that were being worked on): https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2020/dec/how-was-the-covid-19-vaccine-developed-so-fast/

Good link  thanks

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Thanks - I appreciate it

Glad you're trying to get info in to the hands of people that need it. I've also been telling people who are worried, to go talk to their physician or a local physician they trust about it. Not internet docs or YouTube videos, but your doc who knows you best. I know I felt a ton better after talking to our medical director for a few minutes. 

29 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

If they don't want the vaccine, then they don't need to get it...

There may be issues later with travelling if they don't get the shot, but otherwise keep on wearing a mask/social distancing/washing their hands. 

I have a hunch there's a high percentage of anti-maskers in the bunch.

Plus, it'd be nice if they contributed to getting this thing under control.  The more widespread this is the more variants evolve, the more and different vaccines we'll need, and the longer it'll take to get back to life resembling life as we once knew it. 

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I have a hunch there's a high percentage of anti-maskers in the bunch.

Plus, it'd be nice if they contributed to getting this thing under control.  The more widespread this is the more variants evolve, the more and different vaccines we'll need, and the longer it'll take to get back to life resembling life as we once knew it. 

If part of the anti-masker crowd, then it should be no surprise they would be anti-vaccine as well I guess. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

There's no evidence it's contributing to these deaths; it's just a possible contributor. Unfortunately, there's no way to know what would have happened if they hadn't received the vaccine since they might have died anyway.

• Haha 1