Is the vaccine safe?

I have a relative who is listening to the anti vaccine crowd that is saying the vaccine is not safe. I thought I’d ask all of you to help me answer his questions. I figured multiple minds are better at presenting facts with links to back up the facts. Thank you for helping me address these claims against the vaccine 

I’ve had my first shot and getting 2nd next wk.  The relative is listening to Robert Kennedy jr among others and doesn’t think the vaccine is a good thing

His claims:

1. 40-50% of health care workers aren’t getting the shot because it is too new with little research behind it and no knowledge of the long term affects 

2 The vaccine causes your cells to actually produce the COVID-19 virus in you so that it can create the immune response 

3. The vaccine can make a person sterile 

4. The vac can cause many problems down the road including auto-immunity issues,heart issues etc—all unknown because there are no history 

5. Vaccine was rushed to the market which makes it inherently unsafe

6. The vaccine could be worse than the disease for most people as most who get COVID-19 have relatively minor symptoms 

7. This is a big govt overreaching to get us to herd immunity which would occur without the vaccine 

God I wished I saved it, but I read on the internet (I know, I know) that part of the reason the vaccine was developed so quickly was because they were given essentially carte blanche to get through development and then testing trials. Part of the reason some vaccines/medicines take a long time to develop is that there's not enough money to get through each step like there was with the COVID vaccines.

Found this link that supports this and also provides other reasons (prior knowledge of previous COVID viruses, technology, and a lot of different possibilities that were being worked on): https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2020/dec/how-was-the-covid-19-vaccine-developed-so-fast/

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1. Pulling stats out of your a$$ is a bad look. 
2.  Vaccines are meant to create immune response. Its literally the point of a vaccine. 
3. I got the vaccine and Im not sterile. 
4. If my aunt had a penis shed be my uncle. “What ifs” are pointless right now. We need to contain the virus. 
5. They have had other coronavirus vaccine technology out there for awhile, it was just moderated to this particular virus. Just like they change the flu shot every year based on the strand of virus. 
6. I got the vaccine. No side effects. The only side effects anyone I know got was my sister had the chills after her second dose for a day. Dumb argument when the virus has killed over 400,000 people in this country alone. 
7. Without herd immunity from this vaccine, over a million people would have to die to reach herd immunity. Is your relative a pro-life christian? Doesnt sound like it. 
8. The vaccine gives your body the tools and the knowledge to fight off the virus which could diminsh synptoms and possibly even save your life. 
9. Your relative is a f#&%ing moron. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

?????

Zero people who have received the vaccines have been hospitalized or have died as a result of the vaccines.

This thread is not based on science. The burden of proof is on the person who claims it's harmful.

Show that, or this thread is a waste of time.

Ya, not trying to be mean @TGHusker but most of what your friend is saying is impossible to combat. People have to want to know the truth. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

His claims:

1. 40-50% of health care workers aren’t getting the shot because it is too new with little research behind it and no knowledge of the long term affects 

I think the actual number will end up being around 30% hesitant to get the vaccine. Our facility is already around 60%+ vaccinated. 

2 The vaccine causes your cells to actually produce the COVID-19 virus in you so that it can create the immune response 

Vaccine isn't a live virus. Vaccine just forces the body to produce a antibody response to virus.

3. The vaccine can make a person sterile 

Wife and I are young and both in healthcare. This was something we wanted to look at and discuss before we got the vaccine. Only thing we could find on this is the sterile thing is pushed by an anti-vax group pushing an agenda. No science behind it. 

4. The vac can cause many problems down the road including auto-immunity issues,heart issues etc—all unknown because there are no history 

Again more scare tactics, no reason a bodies immune response to a spike protein would cause any of these things.

5. Vaccine was rushed to the market which makes it inherently unsafe

SARS vaccine research, mRNA research has been done for a long time. Allowed for quick vaccine development. We come up with new flu vaccines every year to fight new strains of the flu - people aren't scared of these because its accepted as a part of life

6. The vaccine could be worse than the disease for most people as most who get COVID-19 have relatively minor symptoms 

This seems like the same question as the last 3. Vaccine has proven to prevent severe disease. Severe covid is proven to be very ugly. 

7. This is a big govt overreaching to get us to herd immunity which would occur without the vaccine 

Govt trying to protect it's citizens is hardly a new concept. It's why we promote no smoking, wearing seatbelts, getting a flu vaccine. At the end of the day we owe it to our people to keep hospitals census manageable, long term care facilities safe, businesses open and busy - govt will promote safety to accomplish goals that will help the communities. 

Didn't feel like looking up studies - I work in healthcare and talked to many of our docs and nurses about this - just wanted to jot down my thoughts. 

• Plus1 1

I would tell your relative to do some actually research or listen to facts on how the vaccine was developed.  I can’t remember the exact details, but I listened to radio interviews and podcasts around the holidays how the vaccine was able to get produced so quickly. @whateveritis1224has the basic premise correct. This vaccine was able to go through the multiple stages of trials and approval AT THE SAME TIME because of all the money behind R&D of the vaccines. Typical drugs and vaccines have limited capital behind them, so going through the stages of approval takes longer time as the companies put more capital funding into the drugs.

I generally have faith in science and medicine, and am very confident in the effectiveness of the COVID vaccines. They may cause some initial soreness or one-off issues in some people, but I think those are outliers.  I will gladly take the vaccine when I can get it, because I feel it’s far better than the alternative. 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

?????

Zero people who have received the vaccines have been hospitalized or have died as a result of the vaccines.

This thread is not based on science. The burden of proof is on the person who claims it's harmful.

Agree. I’m just asking for help from all of you to gather the science so I can present it logically. I’m not a medical person or scientist as you know 

10 hours ago, TGHusker said:

This is just plain stupid and proves whomever is feeding this person information has no clue what they are talking about.  The vaccine causes your body to produce antibodies against the virus.  NOT, to produce the virus itself.  

At this point, it's up to this person to prove what they are claiming.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is just plain stupid and proves whomever is feeding this person information has no clue what they are talking about.  The vaccine causes your body to produce antibodies against the virus.  NOT, to produce the virus itself.  

At this point, it's up to this person to prove what they are claiming.

Yes that was a claim that I couldn't fathom even trying to imagine how it was thought up.  Anti-vaxxer talk and misinformation for sure.

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

?????

Certainly some interesting stuff on this coming out of Norway. The vaccine 'may' be contributing to the death of the people it's designed to save first.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n149/rapid-responses

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-16/norway-vaccine-fatalities-among-people-75-and-older-rise-to-29

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/health/covid-vaccine-pfizer-deaths-norway-intl/index.html

• Plus1 1